300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons learned with duty gear

I thought this would be a good topic for veterans to post what their tour down the gadget highway has taught them. What gear have you tried various types of and have drawn a conclusion of what works?

I would like to keep responses limited to only those who have tried various versions or brands of a particular item and and can state from their experience what works.

No "I just got this widget and love it" posts. Everyone thinks what they bought is the best until they've compared it to several other brands for a period of time.

No rebuttals. No need to argue. Post your experience and let others benefit from what you've learned without fighting.

I'll start:

Tight Fit Undershirts: I've tried every brand of moisture wicking undershirt and the best I've found are the 5.11 followed by Underarmour. I've tried Starter, Nike, UA, and 5.11.
    What stands out with 5.11 is the fitment. It fits the shoulders and seems to be longer than the UA brand. I would suggest that if you prefer the tight fit shirt under your vest but don't like the wet suit feeling get the next size up. It will still be form fitting but not stretched and compressing. The advantage of the tight fit shirts is they allow your vest to slide around and move with your body and the shirt doesn't bunch up in the gaps between your panels.

Pens: The best pens I've used for general purpose patrol are the Fischer Space Pens. I always get the black click top style and use it exclusively for writing tickets, taking notes, writing reports, etc...
    They write at any angle, on anything, and if the paper gets wet the ink stays put. I remember numerous occasions when writing information on an accident report it started raining and just a couple drops of rain ruined the whole report. They're not expensive and the refills last a long time.

Patrol Shirts: I currently wear the "The Force" short sleeve shirts as issued but they always seem to get those little fabric fuzz balls that appear in areas that rub. I found the easiest way to get rid of those little fabric balls is to use an old razor and lightly shave the area. They come right off and it looks like they were never there.

Patrol Sunglasses: I'm a sunglass guy and have bought many expensive pairs. The ones I like the most are the Oakley M frames. There's a newer style I'm not fond of because they made the arms thicker. They still sell the previous style so I get those.
    I like these because they offer a great field of vision, have thin arms that don't block your peripheral, are ballistic rated for the range, and you can get different color lenses for different types of light. I have the ambers for shooting on cloudy days, Clears for night fire, and the bronze color for patrol because they perform like blue blockers and enhance detail while blocking all UVA/B light. They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for.

Thats it for now, I'll add more over time.
    Last edited by leesrt; 10-10-2009, 12:35 AM.
    Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

I had both a TomTom and a Garmin side by side. I was testing both to see which is better.

Garmin

Pros:
    +User friendly display that didn't require me to press a lot of keys.
    +3D Map Mode: Display shows a lot of streets and up coming intersections
    +Easy Mounting
    +Easy to read street name on map.
    +Always marked street name in larger font on top of page
    +Marks speed limit
    +Pops up street names from far away.
    +Doesn't require me to pass one street to name the other. Always gave me the name of at least two street ahead.
    +You could download a cool cop car for it online for free.
    +Easy to save locations. (Comes in handy to mark areas with high traffic to work later or mark spots with shade)

Cons
    -It's selective as to which street names it will show while driving, even with the "most" setting. It will not show you every street while driving. You are required to tap the screen once and go into manual map mode to view the street name, granted it knows it. (There is no code or hack to show you all the street name)
    -Seemed to show less major cross roads after the 2010 Maps update. Before it would show all the major crossroads names.

TomTom

Pros
    +If the TomTom knows the street name it tells you the street name, it's not selective.
    +Ability to rename or name unmarked streets.
    +Free online updates.
    +Allows you to personalize it with cool start up screens found online.

Cons
    -Nonfriendly memu: You're required to press to many keys to do anything.
    -Some models don't name the street name your traveling on at the top or bottom to help you out.
    -Street names pop up to late. You could read the sign before the name pops up.
    -Mostly always required me to pass one street to name the next one.
    -Newer models ones are hard to mount.
    -Street names were to small.
    -Hard to read letters due to color combination.

Personal Choice: I went with the Garmin and refrained from updating my 2009 maps. I'd rather know the next two or three streets name rather than having to pass one to name the next. I'm extremely happy with it and like how user friendly it is.

I tested about 2 Garmins and 1 TomTom(the lastest one back in Feb. 2009) unit before I stayed with the 205W. The reason for this was because I did the update for the 2010 maps on my 255W and it made it show less streets on the driving map, but showed a lot more in manual map made.

Comment

Originally posted by leesrt View Post

Patrol Shirts: I found the easiest way to get rid of those little fabric balls is to use an old razor and lightly shave the area. They come right off and it looks like they were never there.e.
      you have no idea how many things I have tried to get those darn things off my shirt...thanks for the tip!
      Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick1701 View Post
        you have no idea how many things I have tried to get those darn things off my shirt...thanks for the tip!
        No rebuttals.
        War to the knife and knife to the hilt.

TERM LIMITS!

Comment

Pens: I carry the Zebra F-301 Black Ink Fine Tip point, To me they seem to last a long time, also they write very well. Very sturdy metal shaft.
          __________________________________________________ ______________

I need some advice on Socks, I wear the (I believe 8 inch) bates boots and my socks love to slide down, I am looking for some good socks that stay up preferably to the bottom of my knees. (TALL SOCKS)

I have tried all different kind, I need black in color.

Comment

Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
            Pens: I carry the Zebra F-301 Black Ink Fine Tip point, To me they seem to last a long time, also they write very well. Very sturdy metal shaft.
            __________________________________________________ ______________

I need some advice on Socks, I wear the (I believe 8 inch) bates boots and my socks love to slide down, I am looking for some good socks that stay up preferably to the bottom of my knees. (TALL SOCKS)

I have tried all different kind, I need black in color.
            Socks: Best ones I've found that maintain their form and stay up are the Galls blue tip socks. Not sure if they have the knee highs.

Knives: Of all the knives I've tried my Cold Steel Recon has last the longest, holds an edge, and is tough.

Body armour cooling: I haven't tried any competition for this but if you've never used a Cool Cop in your car you don't know what your missing. If you sweat its a God send.
            Last edited by leesrt; 10-10-2009, 01:00 PM.
            Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

Comment

You can comment to back up or support a post, By no rebuttals I mean no arguing over who's is better.

Comment

You can comment to back up or support a post, By no rebuttals I mean no arguing over who's is better.
                that is what I thought you meant, thanks for clarifying
                Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

Socks: Best ones I've found that maintain their form and stay up are the Galls blue tip socks. Not sure if they have the knee highs. Good Deal, I will have to try some, THanks

Knives: Of all the knives I've tried my Cold Steel Recon has last the longest, holds an edge, and is tough.

I carry a Spyderco Endura 4 w/ the emerson opener, all in all its a great knife but you do have to sharpen every so often.

Comment

Originally Posted by leesrt View Post

Patrol Shirts: I found the easiest way to get rid of those little fabric balls is to use an old razor and lightly shave the area. They come right off and it looks like they were never there.

Originally posted by Maverick1701 View Post

Try this little electric jobby, they work great an only cost about $10 at Target I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_72v452yzdy_b

Comment

best socks I've tried are Under Armour. I've tried the 8" cheapos at walmart and some by Starter. the others leave black fuzz all over your feet when you take them off and stretch out over time.

the Under Armour ones, while pricey, are the most comfortable, maintain their shape best, and leave no black fuzz. i love these socks!

best underwear also goes to UnderArmour boxerjocks 6". Around 12 bucks a pair they are expensive but worth every penny. ive tried every kind of boxer-brief out there. we all know how they get once you finish a nice sweaty foot chase or get soaked in the rain. the UAs are a dream! i wish i had tried them years ago. i like them so much i wear them whether im on duty or off.
                      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

I tried all the space-age t-shirts out there, but I keep going back to Dickies brand white cotton pocket t-shirts. Good place to carry the pocket recorder, and the shirts are heavy-duty and durable. Takes a LONG time to wear one out.

The UA, starter and others made me itch.

Dickie has some good quality cargo khakis for plain clothes duty too. I have khaki, navy and black.
                        I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I agree on plain cotton shirts. UA compression/heat gear shirts make me itch too. The loose fit ones are ok though, but I switched to 5.11 long tail cotton t-shirts.

As for socks, UA are my favorite, as well as UA undergear.
                          All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

As far as duty gear goes, if its on your belt and you realize you have not used it in a year, agency policy aside, why do you carry it?

I'm in plain clothes now so I don't wear a gun belt anymore. I haven't had a need for anything more than pistol, cuffs, and spare mag. I won't hesitate to bring Mr. ASP out of the center console along with Mr. TASER and shove them into a cargo pocket.

There's always a small flashlight on my keys in the lefty front pocket.

The BEST lesson I learned is to ALWAYS WEAR UNDERPANTS WITH A FLY, and to use a restroom BEFORE you really need to.
                            Last edited by KenW.; 10-14-2009, 07:47 AM.
                            I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Gerber or Leatherman in the warbag....made life so much easier so many times!!
                              "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4444 users online. 278 members and 4166 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X