Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police issue only: 2011 Chevy Caprice

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/...ice/index.html

Thought a lot of people on here would find this interesting. Still a little ways off, but currently testing with the LAPD. Any thoughts?
    "Writing about yourself seems to be a lot like sticking a branch into clear river-water and roiling up the muddy bottom..."

The drivers compartment is setup absolutly horribly. Emergency equipment controls mounted on the ceiling?! A FLOOR shifter when a computer goes? Also a bad place for the radio/PA system. With our current laptops, the climate control would be a pain to use. The drivetrain will be nice as will some of the features like plate readers and such, but what will the cost be?

Aside from that, I am 100% against any GM vehicle after this bailout crap. I'd much rather see the Carbon Motors vehicle in service.

Comment

Originally posted by JKralC104 View Post
      Aside from that, I am 100% against any GM vehicle after this bailout crap. I'd much rather see the Carbon Motors vehicle in service.
      I'll definitely agree with you on the Carbon Motors car. It's just taking forever to get out there. They first showed it almost 3 years ago now. I have yet to sit in a squad car, but looking at the pictures I can tell what you men about the interior. I didn't notice last night that the computer covered the AC vents

How much does a normal squad car run?
      "Writing about yourself seems to be a lot like sticking a branch into clear river-water and roiling up the muddy bottom..."

Comment

It actually looks pretty cool, I'd drive one.

I don't like the shotgun position though, looks like it would be tought to deploy it in a hurry.

Comment

There are like 12 threads on this already.

Comment

I actually think the only thing negative is the floor shifter, but I'm pretty sure they will offer a regular column shifter as well.

On the emergeny controls, on the ceiling thats how I currently have my patrol vehicle setup and its GREAT. You dont need to take your eyes off the road to engage your lights/siren. Alot of departments are going to this setup.

Comment

I drive the australian version of this the Holden Commodore. Different set up to this vehicle but they are a great drive

Comment

Originally posted by jmb_85 View Post
                I'll definitely agree with you on the Carbon Motors car. It's just taking forever to get out there. They first showed it almost 3 years ago now. I have yet to sit in a squad car, but looking at the pictures I can tell what you men about the interior. I didn't notice last night that the computer covered the AC vents

How much does a normal squad car run?
                Normally quoted price in bids for a CVPI or Charger is in the 20-22K range, for the V8s, but thats deceptive. They dont come with a lot of stuff you need, and once you buy all that stuff, lights, sirens, computers, graphics, your adding another 10-15K.

Comment

Edmunds.com said that the Caprice would not be limited to police; only the police package would. I don't know whether that will turn out to be true. Also, I suspect that, for better fuel economy, GM may not make the V8 available to civilians.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                    Edmunds.com said that the Caprice would not be limited to police; only the police package would. I don't know whether that will turn out to be true. Also, I suspect that, for better fuel economy, GM may not make the V8 available to civilians.
                    We'll see but every other article I have read has said it was going to be law enforcement only.

Comment

If they don't make it a column-shift, they are setting themselves up for failure.

Comment

Yep I'd say with a column shift that car would do great, and get up and go will be significantly improved from the vic, not sure about the hemi charger.
                        "In God we trust, all others are run through NCIC."

Comment

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=158468

This article? Yeah, its not written very well, from that standpoint, it never really definitively say only police, does it? But, as noted, given the large amount of other sources that do, Id call this bad writing over a dissenting opinion.

Comment

My department has the light controls above the rear view mirror also. Works great for us!

Comment

This makes no sense to me as the v8 was already available to civilians in the Pontiac G8...and it's in my driveway The G8 GT with this engine outperformed every charger except the SRT 8, so when this comes to fruition it's even a hemi killer....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5931 users online. 333 members and 5598 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X