300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IWB vs. OWB vs. Small of the Back Holster

Looking to get a new off-duty holster for carry for my 1911 compact.

I want something that is concealable but still easy to use.

Besides the pistol barrel poking out, are OWB or small of the back holsters still pretty concealable and held close to the body?

I have a 28 inch waist and it seems that no matter what I do, you can see the grip printing from my shirts. (Yes, I need to buy larger shirts now which sucks.)

I'm thinking something like this: (the Yacqui by DeSantis)

Or this Small of the back holster: (from DeSantis)

What is a good brand?

Are Small of the Back and OWB Holsters comfortable?

I would be driving a lot, so a Small of the Back (SOB) holster may not be a good choice, right?

Right now I have a Blackhawk CQC holster for my on-duty Sig P220, but that thing keeps the pistol way to far from the body for off-duty carry.

I would NEVER wear a SOB holster. I have nothing at all on my back, on or off duty, and I am about a 30-31ish waist also. I've had a lot of luck with a soft IWB holster or just sticking it in my waistband. In the winter, I'll carry a fullsize gun on my hip on a belt holster.

Comment

If you will be driving alot, you might want to look at a cross draw holster. A strong side or IWB will be hard to draw from a seated driving position. The cross draw will be easier to draw with. For just a concealed holster I prefer the Milt Sparks Summer Special II for my Government length 1911.

The small of back is always a problem. On or off duty anything in that position could cause serious injury to you if you fall on it.

Just like you said about the shirts, I don't leave my property very often so I bought a couple shirts from 5.11 the button down ones for concealed carry. By doing that you have a thick short sleeve good looking shirt and don't have to worry about printing. Its almost like my off duty uniform. Other wise you will end up with a box full of holsters that just don't conceal like you want them to. I know I have.
      I trust my life with J. M. Browning's design, the 1911.

Comment

Yeah, I don't want to make it look like I'm a full time truck driver or anything.......lol.

I just mean I drive up North to Superior from the cities, so that's like 4 hours of driving and stuff.

Besides that, just normal driving and wearing it.

I don't want to have to buy any special Underarmour or 5.11 shirts, I usually wear a T-Shirt and jeans.

Comment

If you are talking about driving for HOURS on end like that, stick it between the seat or in the center console. Other than that, i'm partial to carrying where my duty weapon is.

Comment

www.highnoonholsters.com

I carried a full sized 1911 IWB for years in comfort. Quality product and a decent price, they stand behind what they make, and they are custom for your gun, not a generic "size 32" or whatever.

Unfortunately they have become much better known over the years, and it takes awhile to get many holsters now. In stock stuff is there quickly, but something they have to make may take months.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I won't put ANYTHING in the small of my back because A) it's uber uncomfortable and B) it doesn't seem secure. I also don't want to stick anything in my pants so that's not happening. You may want to get a shorter gun, but if that's not an option perhaps then a couple of new shirts bought specifically for concealing your big gun.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                I won't put ANYTHING in the small of my back because A) it's uber uncomfortable and B) it doesn't seem secure. I also don't want to stick anything in my pants so that's not happening. You may want to get a shorter gun, but if that's not an option perhaps then a couple of new shirts bought specifically for concealing your big gun.

Yeah, it's not a big gun. It's a 1911 compact.

It's the length of the grip that is printing my shirt, not the length of the barrel.

I hear good things about Crossbreed Supertucks, but there pretty pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
                  Yeah, it's not a big gun. It's a 1911 compact.

It's the length of the grip that is printing my shirt, not the length of the barrel.

I hear good things about Crossbreed Supertucks, but there pretty pricey.

Yeah, it's the grip that shows on me too.

Comment

I'll throw my backing behind the Crossbreed. I've carried a full size Glock 22 in comfort and without printing. You can adjust the cant and the depth which helps for your particular body type.

Now, I'm not petite by any means but full size is full size, and keeping the grip close and comfy is key. I also have a crossbreed for my Sig P229 that in comparison really does feel and look like a compact, and it's a brick!

They are pricey, but he stands behind his work, and will refund your money if you're not satisfied (2 weeks I think). The refund period gives you ample time to play with positioning, angle, depth etc. and for the leather to break in to fit snug. I don't even know they're there.

Can't hurt to try it out. If you're wearing this for duty use, you really can't pu a price on the combination of the comfort and concealment, don't skimp.

Also, if you're spending a lot of time in the car, and don't like the "jam it between the seat and center console" concept. Crossbreed makes a rig called an "Ojai" which is a kydex holster with one side velcro, so you can place it securely anywhere you can stick velcro. (under dash, along center console etc.) I use mine on my chest in my vest cover. another excellent concept.

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post

Are Small of the Back and OWB Holsters comfortable?
                      What exactly does OWB stand for???

Comment

Originally posted by InHarleyCop View Post
                        What exactly does OWB stand for???
                        Outside the Waistband.

Although I like the aesthetics of "slide" type holsters, they are problematic. It's not uncommon at all to find the pistol being pushed out (due to pressure on the muzzle) while in a seated position. Even if the gun remains in the holster, the muzzle area of the weapon is being subjected to wear and damage that would otherwise be prevented with a more conventional design. Properly designed holsters provide a comfortable, practical way to carry, but also are designed to protect the handgun from damage.
                        Last edited by pulicords; 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM.
                        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Wait. We all now know that you should carry your guns (preferably at least two pistols and a rifle) openly, not concealed. That way everybody will leave you alone.

The best thing about the small-of-the-back holster is its acronymn (S O B).
                          Last edited by DAL; 09-21-2009, 03:18 PM.
                          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm an IWB guy unless its a pocket gun and then I'm for pocket carry. Everyone is different though. IWB seems to be the most concealable method which unless your on duty is what its all about anyways. If you get a properly made IWB they can be forgot I was wearing it comfortable. Then again I wear a size 34 but I believe the principle is sound.

Comment

The problem with IWB is you almost have to have pants that are a size larger.

Which is why I was looking at OWB.

Anyone know of a OWB that is as comfortable as a Crossbreed Supertuck?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5862 users online. 319 members and 5543 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X