Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol Jacket for Cold Weather. Any suggestions?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol Jacket for Cold Weather. Any suggestions?

Hello All,

I was just hired by an Agency that has 4 months out of the year where it is extremely cold with snow, rain, etc. I am moving from Phoenix where it is 114 degrees and the cold will be somewhat of a shock.

Any suggestions on which jacket to purchase and is there any other little tricks to keep the feet, ears, and hands warm.

Thanks,
    MCSO412A
    "A child has the right to feel that in his home he has a place of refuge, a place of protection from the dangers and evils of the outside world." David O. McKay -

Granted, Arkansas here doesn't get all that cold, but I find "Hot Hands" to be a nice, warming, morale boosting item. A packet lasts for ten-12 hours too so you should make it through an entire shift without going use several packets. I just stick them in my jacket pocket. I've never used the kind you can insert into your boots even though I bought some.

Last winter, I tried something new and turned to modern hiker apparel from REI to address cold feet. I purchased some polyproylene liner socks which completely wick sweat and some padded bottom, wool hiking socks. The difference was night and day. My feet continued to feel dry, warm, and cushioned despite the sub-freezing temperatures. The cushioning on the bottom also adds some more insulatory value and puts your feet just a little farther from the cold ground.

Comment

Working in a colder state, I recommend you LAYER your clothing and not rely on a big jacket alone.

Base layer: synthetic wicking material, like polypropylene, to keep you dry
      Insulating layer(s): wool, Polar fleece, etc
      Windblocking/Waterproof layer: Goretex, etc

I can be quite comfy even into the 20's with polypro top/bottoms under my uniform, with a hat and gloves. If it's windy, a light jacket helps.

Sock liners with Smart Wool socks will keep your feet warm and dry (see AR24's post above... they work!).

I keep an ECWCS Goretex top/bottoms in one of my bags. I'm going to add a pair of backup boots too.

Other things, depending on how cold/snowy/icy it will be: watch cap, Seirus gloves, sunglasses, those "180s" folding earmuffs, neck gaiter, leg gaiters, balaclava, Yak Trax foot traction

And we have big puffy winter parkas too. I avoid wearing mine unless it's absolutely necessary (rarely).
      Last edited by Resq14; 09-06-2009, 10:29 AM.
      All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
        Working in a colder state, I recommend you LAYER your clothing and not rely on a big jacket alone.

Base layer: synthetic wicking material, like polypropylene, to keep you dry
        Insulating layer(s): wool, Polar fleece, etc
        Windblocking/Waterproof layer: Goretex, etc

I can be quite comfy even into the 20's with polypro top/bottoms under my uniform, with a hat and gloves. If it's windy, a light jacket helps.

Sock liners with Smart Wool socks will keep your feet warm and dry (see AR24's post above... they work!).

I keep an ECWCS Goretex top/bottoms in one of my bags. I'm going to add a pair of backup boots too.

Other things, depending on how cold/snowy/icy it will be: watch cap, Seirus gloves, sunglasses, those "180s" folding earmuffs, neck gaiter, leg gaiters, balaclava, Yak Trax foot traction

And we have big puffy winter parkas too. I avoid wearing mine unless it's absolutely necessary (rarely).
        How do you access all of your equipment when you're wearing all that gear? External vests?

Comment

I'm always cold year round' (due to being tiny) but I've found that even in the below zero weather around here I'm good with an under armor mock turtleneck, body armor, uniform shirt, and either a Blauer Windstopper sweater or Blauer bomber jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
            How do you access all of your equipment when you're wearing all that gear? External vests?
            Wasn't suggesting wearing everything I listed at once. Like I said, polypro undergear, socks/liners, hat, gloves can usually get me through weather down into the 20's (taking into account uniform, body armor, boots, etc). When you dress like this, it can get toasty in the station, and I usually keep the car cooler than normal. But it's worth it.

Add wind, snow, sleet, freezing rain, sub-zero temps... now you're talking the accessories. I carry extra clothing in the winter just in case I get stuck outside on a post somewhere.

I hate the parka because it completely covers my duty belt, which is why it's rarely (if ever) worn.
            Last edited by Resq14; 09-06-2009, 06:19 PM.

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. I guess I will do some online shopping tonight.
              Thanks again.
              MCSO412A
              "A child has the right to feel that in his home he has a place of refuge, a place of protection from the dangers and evils of the outside world." David O. McKay -

Comment

I wear short sleeves all year round and in the winters I wear our issued Northface winter jacket. I actually just wear the liner. Not sure of the model but Northface does have a public safety division.
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

5.11 5 in 1 jacket. It comes with a great liner, but even in the teens and 20's the liner is almost too hot.

5 in 1 jacket

Comment

In ANY given scenario, my suggestion is to hunker down in the vicinity of Resq14...he's got everything you'll need.
                    "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
                    but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

haha I don't know about that... but I do like being comfortable.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3768 users online. 240 members and 3528 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X