300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asp

I recently got back into law enforcement as a Reserve Deputy. The new department does not provide many tools. I already had my duty belt/holster/mag pouches from my old job, since I had to buy my own personal gear for my personal firearm (Glock 21.) Unfortunately, I didn't have my own ASP, as my old one was issued to me.

I am certified on the ASP, and the new department authorizes it if you are certified, so I went by the local cop shop to check out what they had.

I decided on the 26" ASP, as it is the easiest to deploy. I had a 21" ASP when I started as a rookie, but later switched to a 26" baton. One reason I like the longer baton is that it sticks out further from the scabbard, allowing a more positive grasp when drawing.

I went with a tilt scabbard that allows the ASP to be stowed in the extended position. My old scabbard was the side breakaway, which I thought was useless. I really like this new scabbard.

My old baton was steel, and coated in black. The new baton is bare aluminum.

It is SO much lighter than the steel version. I really like this new baton, and definitely think it was worth the extra $10 or so over the steel version.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

I agree that the Airweight is the way to go. I have a Taser, ASP and OC, and I figured that weight savings was good since the ASP is rarely used to begin with. To begin with, I have never used the ASP in the open position to begin with when I have actually used it on an offender. My preferred way is to leave it in the closed position, have the thumb over the tip, and deploy it like a "hammer fist" strike. Good way to NOT break your hand.
    www.saveavet.org

Comment

I don't like ASP batons because the friction lock is not reliable -- the baton will sometimes extend on its own, and sometimes collapse without pressure on the tip. It also doesn't carry much striking force. Its main function is to satisfy the requirement that you carry a baton.

By the way, you're going to have to change the "Former po-po" below your name.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Ooh, good call!

I have used the ASP three times I can immediately recall.

1) When confronting a large group of young males fighting in a parking lot after midnight. I deployed the ASP, used some choice words to announce my presence, and everyone calmed down and followed instructions. Drawing a firearm would have been too much, and just relying on officer presence would not have been enough.

2) I had a violator who was under arrest, but not exactly complying. He wouldn't get in the squad, so I just put the extended tip on his sternum, and slightly applied pressure. He sat down.

3) In training, I have been taught to (and did) break out a car window to distract a violator during a vehicle take-down.

I've never had a problem with an ASP ever failing to properly function.
        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

About three years ago I was standing in booking one night and went to assist a jailer with putting some d-bag in a cell. I grabbed, he started swinging, I basically stiff-armed him as I walked around behind him and gave him a tap to the old CP. Both legs bowed, but my baton went limp having lost its lock upon contact. Granted, I struck him with a good degree of firmness, but I didn't find myself too excited to rationalize it all. I simply held the baton upright which allowed it to collapse and I slung it a second time causing it to lock. That subsequently allowed me to land another good strike which put the assailant down. I've hit other things and had it do that, but of the three times I've used it against a human that's the only occurrence I've had with it unlocking. Of course, I play with it all the time so it may be about worn out. I love the thing.

With reference to the sidebreak baton holders I've never acquired one of my own, but I've experimented with others'. I couldn't snatch my baton out the side of it to save my life. This was tried from behind my pistol. I don't know how anyone could do it crossdraw. Then again, I can't stand crossdraw collapsible batons anyway.
          Last edited by ArkansasFan24; 09-05-2009, 12:48 AM.

Comment

I use my baton as a weak-hand weapon, in case I'm trying to fend off a weapon grab.

I never could get it to break out the side either, and didn't quite understand why that would be a benefit.
            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Ive been carrying my ASP for 9 yrs and have yet to use it on anyone. It does make a good door knocker though.

For those that are having problems with their ASP collapsing, have you adjusted the tension spring? If you spread it open a little bit, it will create more tension thus making it harder to open and collapse.
              "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the side-break scabbard is designed to allow a holstered+EXTENDED baton to be removed, not one that is holstered+retracted. It allows for a quicker draw of an extended baton if you need to.

As you deploy it, once the grip portion clears the holster, the extended portion (skinnier tubes) should pass through the break-away.

I use a simple Accumold holder though... can't stand the ASP one sliding around my belt.
                Last edited by Resq14; 09-05-2009, 10:10 AM.
                All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

I think a PR24X is much more effective. The side-handle is a nuisance now that duty belts are so full.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

[QUOTE=Resq14;1969684]I'm pretty sure that the side-break scabbard is designed to allow a holstered+EXTENDED baton to be removed, not one that is holstered+retracted. It allows for a quicker draw of an extended baton if you need to.

As you deploy it, once the grip portion clears the holster, the extended portion (skinnier tubes) should pass through the break-away.
                    QUOTE]

Beat me to it, this is correct.

Also, lets not forget an ASP is good for moving old food and dirty clothes out of the way when searching a dirtbox car or room
                    www.saveavet.org

Comment

I have a rotating scabbard with a Hindi knob on mine for crossdraw. I highly suggest adding a Hindi knob to any baton. It will work wonders.
                      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Not nice and light, in fact heavier than an normal ASP, but probably the most effective collapsible baton for the intended purpose.

http://www.peacekeeperproducts.com/

I love mine. Haven't used it on duty, but when practicing on a bag, you can feel the difference. Some of the stuff on the website is cheesy, but it is great.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3550 users online. 255 members and 3295 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X