300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '09 Chev Silverado

I recently received a '09 Silverado for a work truck. Great truck, with one exception; all the dang lights and horn sounds when locking and unlocking the vehicle. Pretty hard to do the sneek-up on someone out in the woods when everytime you lock or unlock the truck the lights flash or the horn sounds. I contacted GM (yes, they still do answer thier phones and asked them if there is a way to disable all those "features". They said they don't have any policy that allows them to disable any of the security features on the truck. I find that hard to believe.

Anyways, does anyone know of a way, short of going in and cutting a bunch of wires, of obtaining a waiver to have a dealership or someone disable all that stuff?
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Originally posted by coastiejeff View Post
    I recently received a '09 Silverado for a work truck. Great truck, with one exception; all the dang lights and horn sounds when locking and unlocking the vehicle. Pretty hard to do the sneek-up on someone out in the woods when everytime you lock or unlock the truck the lights flash or the horn sounds. I contacted GM (yes, they still do answer thier phones and asked them if there is a way to disable all those "features". They said they don't have any policy that allows them to disable any of the security features on the truck. I find that hard to believe.

Anyways, does anyone know of a way, short of going in and cutting a bunch of wires, of obtaining a waiver to have a dealership or someone disable all that stuff?

Buy a Ford?

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
      Buy a Ford?

Ha! Yea, I had a Ford, but now I have the Chev. So short of replacing the truck out right as suggested, any other ideas?

Comment

Check with a dealer about disabling it or manually lock the truck. We use alot of Tahoes and its the samething for us. A real "pita" when you are trying to be sneaky.

Shane

Comment

I do think there is a way to do it. Go to the dealer.
          Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

Are you using the remote key entry? I have an 07 as my POV and if toy only hit the button once you can lock the door and not have the horn or the lights go off. Otherwise I'd say maybe use the key, or the button on the door before you close it. Unless its a brand new feature the horn and lights shouldnt flash when you hit the button/ use the key.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post

+1

The dealer may know.

My car's seatbelt alarm always goes off, if you latch and unlatch the seatbelt 20 times it turns it off. (At least until you remove the battery or change it out.)

What a pain. The seatbelt alarms are turned off in most of our squads, had one the other day that wasn't. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
                I've tried a couple dealers, they won't touch it. They say it's a safety feature and don't want any liability of disabling them. So I contacted GM directly, and they say they don't have any policy on disabling them either.

So here's what happens:

1. If I use the keyless to lock or unlock, the driving lights and tail lights flash, but no horn. Well, that's no good.

2. So then I use the button on the arm rest. The locks don't go down until you shut the door. No lights flash, but after five seconds, the doors lock with a simultaneous "Honk" of the horn. So that's no good.

3. So then I use the key manually in the door. I lock the door. No lights, no horn. Great, right? Wrong! When I unlock manually, as soon as I open the door the horn starts going off, until I put the key in the ignition.

And apparently, these are considered "safety features". Yea right. For the poachers, maybe.

Comment

Remove the horn!

Sorry, couldn't help it, I wish you luck.

G-man
                  1*

Comment

Read the manual?

Comment

Nothing a screwdriver and or hammer wont solve. Don't forget the duct tape.

Comment

I believe you can set what occurs when you hit a function in the manual....

Comment

isnt there an option in the DIC where you can turn all that bs off? My 05 silverado has it.

Comment

Originally posted by coastiejeff View Post
                            I've tried a couple dealers, they won't touch it. They say it's a safety feature and don't want any liability of disabling them. So I contacted GM directly, and they say they don't have any policy on disabling them either.
                            What? Are you not in a police vehicle? Tell those dealers to get bent. Car company's always disable safety features for police vehicles.

Here is a number to the dealer i have taken my GMC to for years and they have the best service i have ever experienced from a dealer.

James wood chevy 817-430-0600. ask for service and ask for Brian. Tell him you have a police vehicle and other dealers wont touch it. I bet he will help you. I know they are in Texas but i bet they will lead you in the right direction.
                            Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

Play around with the DIC( no seriously thats what its called) and you should have options to mess with lighting etc. If not and its for LE talk to your auto guys if you have them and see if theres a killswitch they can put in or something.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7502 users online. 421 members and 7081 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X