300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone wear an External Vest Carrier?

Some guys at my department are thinking of wearing External Vest Carriers in the hot weather. Does anyone have any Pro's of Con's of these? I have seen alot of Chicago PD officers wearing them. Thanks!

Not the best photos but I LOVE my outer vest carrier, especially in hot weather.

I have a clean outer one as well without all the pockets.

G-man
    1*

Comment

Have you tried doing a "search" on past topics yet. This is getting talked more about. I have worn one all my career (11 years) outside and have for a handful of days not worn it externally, but underneath to see if I preferred it. I did not, outside is the way to go for me. Go to the JG Uniforms website to get an idea of your options:

Pro's:
      -More comfortable to wear
      -Can have added external pockets/poches added
      -More durable than shirt material
      -Can easily take it off when inside PD

Con's:
      (These are not my con's, but what others claim)
      -Can have an area for an offender to grab
      -If offender sees the vest, he will go for head shot (I think that's BS)
      -Offers less protection because it is less tight to the body (this is possible if the Officer gets it fitted poorly
      -Some think it looks less professional (I don't)

For me the Pro's far outweight the Con's
      www.saveavet.org

Comment

I've been wearing one for the past four years and love it. I'll never go back to an internal vest.

Comment

I'm with everyone else so far. The extra pockets are helpful. External carriers are more comfortable. When we process our prisoners in the station, we take off our vests to stay cool, which you can't do with an internal carrier. I rarely have to wear my vest inside my shirt and kind of dread when I do. There is a reason most of CPD wear them these days.

JG does make a very good carrier and have lots of options available.

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
            Pro's:
            -More comfortable to wear
            -Can have added external pockets/poches added
            -More durable than shirt material
            -Can easily take it off when inside PD
            -Quicker and easier to put on.
            -Don't get nearly as sweaty or over-heated.
            -Vest doesn't stick to the chest b/c of sweat, so you don't feel like constantly peeling it away.

Con's:
            (These are not my con's, but what others claim)
            -Can have an area for an offender to grab
            -If offender sees the vest, he will go for head shot (I think that's BS)
            -Offers less protection because it is less tight to the body (this is possible if the Officer gets it fitted poorly (If you get the vest fitted properly for under the shirt wearing, when you put it into an external carrier, it's too small. So if you plan on getting an external carrier, have it ordered a bit larger.)
            -Some think it looks less professional (I don't) (I actually think it looks more professional. Some guys wear some pretty ragged shirts. Plus, because the outer vest material is thicker and more durable it last longer and looks better.)

For me the Pro's far outweight the Con's

Comment

Love my outer carrier. I'm a skinny guy and this gives me more storage options when my belt has no room.

Comment

I live in Arizona where it gets pretty damn hot and having a tact vest is the best thing. It is not as hot then the concealable vest and it free up a lost of room from your belt. I have my OC, Flashlight, expandable, digital voice recorder, two pair of hand cuffs. If your agency would allow you to use one you should.

Comment

This is the one I have. I think it looks better then the one in the above pictures.

Comment

Thanks for the replies... The vests we will get will have to be as much Class A as possible, as the boss man is super strict on that... no six pocket pants. The one HEDP wears looks like a nice one. Did you get it from Streichers? That is were we got ours vests so I'm assuming they would still have our vest measurments and thus get a good fitting carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by lewy15 View Post
                      Thanks for the replies... The vests we will get will have to be as much Class A as possible, as the boss man is super strict on that... no six pocket pants. The one HEDP wears looks like a nice one. Did you get it from Streichers? That is were we got ours vests so I'm assuming they would still have our vest measurments and thus get a good fitting carrier.

Got it from Keeprs. It's actually ABA not the above brand, but they look exactly alike.

Got to say, not impressed with ABA's quality control. Mine was very large, had to be cut down, and mine has 4 pockets just like the one in the picture. I was lucky. My friend's only has 2 pockets (missing the two lower pockets, which are really nice to have) and was missing the interior pouch for his trauma plates. Consistency in manufacturing isn't good from this company, at least their Outer Vest Carriers. Their regular vests seem to be fine.

Perhaps the JG ones would be better. I also believe that Streichers may have had a better priced vest "package".

Comment

I sent JG one of my uniform shirts to use in making the outer part of my carrier so it matches my uniform exactly. Their quality is excellent and their customer service top notch - at least my experiencewith them was.
                        "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people [email protected], then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Comment

The only problem with using a uniform shirt as the vest cover is it will not be nearly as durable as the material they use.
                          www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
                            The only problem with using a uniform shirt as the vest cover is it will not be nearly as durable as the material they use.

Yeah. That's a nice thing about the Outer Vest Carriers, they are a very tough material, so they are very durable and always look nice and pressed. Which makes you look sharper.

People who wear vests under their Uniform shirts, you can see the wear and tear the shirts take and eventually get holes in them.

Comment

My favorite thing about an external carrier is the ability to carry more junk.
                              Tennessean, Marine, and Border Patrol Agent.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4134 users online. 259 members and 3875 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X