300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review week 1

Ok as promised update on the back defender review.

Simply put......it works.

Worn it for the past four days including a 14 hour day Monday (don't ask ...lets just say juvenile felon ) and 12 hours today ( 8 hours +off duty gig standing for 4 hours) and my back is not hurting.

Got into a foot chase and my goodness it makes a HUGE difference for me. The belt is off of my hips allowing me so much more flexability.

Now as I stated on my previous review it took me a WHILE (prolly 4-6 hours total over two days) to get the fitment right and learning to add the new step to my dressing routine (we all know we have a set routine). I was a bit ticked and frustrated at first to say the least, HOWEVER now that I have it fitting right it is all good.

Adds about an extra 3-5 minutes now that I got my routine down . No issues with my BUG placement now (minor adjustment required.....see above fitment time). No issues with my shirt stays. I simply let them all the way out, tuck in the shirt, lift up my pants a bit grab said stays, attach and tighten, tada tight and neat shirt no no alterations needed.

So far it has made a BIG freakin differnece for me. Way more flexible, most of the weight is off my hips and back, all around diffrence for me. The re-adjusting my duty belt, adjusting the harness, learning how to put it on was the biggest issue for me. The curve is pretty steep, but man my back ain't hurting or sore after work for the first time in about a year! I can't recommend the under belt they sell I found it to thin for the harness to work out and the under belt I was issued is a more sturdy and works much better.

Summary:

Cons

Cost: Its $200 bucks it ain't cheap

The learning curve: It took me a good amount of time 4-6 hours to get this thing adjusted and learn how to put it on quickly. I got pretty frustrated at times. Now that I have my technique down it takes me about 3-5 extra minutes (if that).

Pros

Flexibility: I can run, jump, climb (done all that crap this week...perps never relax) much better. The best way I can describe it is that it feels that my belt "floats" on my waist versus "sitting" on my waist. *shrug* Whatever it is doing I like it...feels better.

Back pain: My back hasn't been sore or hurt this week. That was my reason for spending 200 deceased American presidents and I'm pretty satisfied so far.

Summary

I'm happy, my back is happier. Its not a majic bullet, the belt is still heavy but the harness does take a great deal of the weight off of my waist and back, thus relieving my back sorenss and pain. It took me a while to get it fitted right and for the first couple of days I was doubting my purchase but now that I got it dialed in I'm very satisfied.

I'll give a two week and one month review to see if I'm still satisfied with it and its durability.
    Last edited by ATLien; 05-14-2009, 02:32 AM.

Comment

I got my Back Defender yesterday. I got to cheat a bit because the owner lives 15 mins from our city, so he came down and made all my adjustments at the PD. That probably saved me 2-4 hrs of work. After getting it all set up, I didn't feel all that pressure on my back like I normally do. I ran with it on and my belt firmly stayed in placed. It made a world of difference!

Tomorrow will be my 1st full shift with it on. I will get back and let you'll know.

ATLien do you wear yours underneath or over your vest? What modifications did you make with your BUG?

The PD picked up the bill because that figured it would be cheaper to pay for the Back Defender then pay health care cost for back surgeries and time off off work. Even if they didn't, I had planned on buying one anyways because its going to help my back the older I get. All that hard living is catching up with me!
      Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

man, 200, bit pricey

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post

ATLien do you wear yours underneath or over your vest? What modifications did you make with your BUG?

I wear it over my vest...it was a bit more comfortable for me that way. On the BUG I had to play with the straps a bit (more like a lot) to get the clearance for my vest holster just right so it didn't screw with my draw. Once I got the defender dialed in (which took a lil time) I've been good to go. All the adjusting and fiddling was well worth the effort.
          Last edited by ATLien; 06-19-2009, 05:27 PM.

Comment

After a full of wearing I can tell you it made all the difference in the world! No aching in my back, no pulling up my belt everytime I got out of my squad and it was very comfortable to run.

ATlien I'm still getting used to it, so I'm going to wait until I get getting dressed down to a science before messing with straps again. I've been wearing an ankle holster in the mean time.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabe2gonnabe
              Ok, stupid question time, but how difficult is it when you need to get your pants down quickly due to a gastrointestinal crisis?
              Unsnap your 4 keepers, take your belt off, undo the velcro belt, drop ur pants ad go to work. Don't forget to undo your earpiece from your radio, if you wear one. I know from experience! The pain is getting dressed again. I have tight broad shoulders with not much reach around, so getting those keepers in the back is a pain.
              Last edited by Rush817; 06-21-2009, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dep D View Post
                I have found as an old man that the best "back defender" I have used my whole career, and it hasn't costed me a dime is SIT-UPS.....

That's right, working out... Keeps those back muscles strong, no back pain from 20 pounds worth of gear and it also has the added benefit of allowing you to keep in the fight....

Core strength, the best "back and the rest of your body defender" on the planet.

Oh what a load of crap. Ok we are all Officers here so I’ll try and say this as nice as I can. I am so sick and tried of people saying “oh if you do sit up you wont have a back injury” or “guess you should have worked out more.” I was an infantry marine and then a semi pro football player for four years. I was in shape! I blew a disk in 07 and I learned this. Officers who don’t work out will have a back injury, Officers who do work out, will probably have a back injury.

My surgeon told me that the gun belt is simply this, a tourniquet and it demobilizes something (your spine) that is made to move in all directions and acts as a point of leverage. So you have lost blood flow and are squeezing two movable joints (hips) out of place which throws your spine out of wack. So when you strap on a gun belt super tight (like we all do) and live in it for years, your probably gonna end up with a back injury. An this is how it happens: You work a long shift driving around for eight to ten hours. Getting out of the car and standing for long periods of time. Your belt will not let your spine bend like it is designed to and a hip rotates forward due to the consent pressure form the belt. So you bend over (probably wrong cuz your tired) and your legs are tired from work and a lack of proper blood flow and you feel a pop. Then a strange tingling feeling down your legs and back. Guess what, you just changed all of your plans for the next year and a half. Instead of fighting bad guys on the street, your fighting workman’s comp because they don’t want to fix you. So if your PT instructor at an academy and wear PT gear all day long and your time in a gun belt is 4 hrs on a part time, don’t preach about the gun belt.

Sorry so long, but geezz
                A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying, "damn, that was funny!"

Comment

+1 to your post Bull. I was also 0311 and have been on this job for 10 years now. I workout 4 to 5 times a week and I still have back problems. I'm in charge of the T&E at our Dept. for the Backdefender, and I'm glad I have seen the positive responses. The guys I have testing them in the field right now are also giving me some really positive feedback.
                  "I would rather live one day as a Lion, than a thousand years as a Sheep."

Comment

Originally posted by Bull3340 View Post
                    Oh what a load of crap. Ok we are all Officers here so I’ll try and say this as nice as I can. I am so sick and tried of people saying “oh if you do sit up you wont have a back injury” or “guess you should have worked out more.” I was an infantry marine and then a semi pro football player for four years. I was in shape! I blew a disk in 07 and I learned this. Officers who don’t work out will have a back injury, Officers who do work out, will probably have a back injury.

My surgeon told me that the gun belt is simply this, a tourniquet and it demobilizes something (your spine) that is made to move in all directions and acts as a point of leverage. So you have lost blood flow and are squeezing two movable joints (hips) out of place which throws your spine out of wack. So when you strap on a gun belt super tight (like we all do) and live in it for years, your probably gonna end up with a back injury. An this is how it happens: You work a long shift driving around for eight to ten hours. Getting out of the car and standing for long periods of time. Your belt will not let your spine bend like it is designed to and a hip rotates forward due to the consent pressure form the belt. So you bend over (probably wrong cuz your tired) and your legs are tired from work and a lack of proper blood flow and you feel a pop. Then a strange tingling feeling down your legs and back. Guess what, you just changed all of your plans for the next year and a half. Instead of fighting bad guys on the street, your fighting workman’s comp because they don’t want to fix you. So if your PT instructor at an academy and wear PT gear all day long and your time in a gun belt is 4 hrs on a part time, don’t preach about the gun belt.

Sorry so long, but geezz
                    Well, from what I've read in this post here, part of your problem was wearing your gunbelt SUPERTIGHT as you put it. I wore mine tight a few years and began having problems. Used my head and let the belt out a notch and well, what do you know....problem was solved. Oh yeah, former 0311 grunt here too.
                    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Guys...I used to have back problems from my time in the military and just overall bad posture. A friend recommended to me that I eat my pride and go give Yoga a try.

It worked pretty damn well and now I just do the workouts on my own at home. I can't recommend it enough if you are having those aches and pains in the back.

Comment

I'm also a back sufferer. I've gotten shots in my back, whiched helped, but the pain and discomfort is always there. Looks like everyone likes the Back Defender. I were nylon suspenders and it helps a little bit. My problem seems to come from sitting in the squad. Does any one out there know of Depts. that wear some sort of a tact vest to distribute the weight all over. My dept is open for suggestions but want to see how it looks, they don't want everyone to look like SWAT.

Comment

Yoga, Pilates and core exercising are really good! Hopefully The Back Defender will top it all off and no more back pain!!!

It does take a while to setup, but it sure takes the weight off yer back. Lets hope it works!

And it's refreshing to have the owner of the company call you and discuss the product.

Comment

Any further updates on this product? I just saw it for the first time today and am HIGHLY interested in it.

Comment

I got mine a couple weeks ago. Wore it one day before being put on the desk, but I liked it.

Comment

Back pain is gone, aside from just one small flare up since I started wearing it (versus many flare ups). I highly, highly recommend it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6241 users online. 363 members and 5878 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X