Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to do the same thing, so I guess they'll get two reviews. I don't have an inner belt and mine Sam Browne is looped through the pants, so we'll see how that goes. Mine will be shipped on Monday morning.
    Last edited by jthorpe; 05-02-2009, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Is it fat guy friendly?
      War to the knife and knife to the hilt.

TERM LIMITS!

Comment

It's not designed for those who have guts hanging over their belt. It might work, but I'm not sure. I'll have to wait and see how this thing sets up and all that. My gut doesn't hang over, but some of the guys I work with do. Might have to see if they can get it to work on their uniform.

Comment

I will be ordering one as well. I'm still a rookie, but I came into this job with pre-existing back, neck, and hip problems. I'm already feeling the effects of wearing the belt. Hopefully, this will prevent me being totally crippled after only a few years on the job. I will post a review as well once worn for a while.

Comment

JCT, you and I are in the same boat. I threw my back out again not long ago and was out of work for two weeks. I'm covered by the VA but that's a joke so I have been talking to a private neurosurgeon about my options. He seems to think that whatever route we go, after recovery, I should be in good enough shape to work in this job for a long time. Right now, I have to be really careful. Funny thing I was in a nasty scuffle not long ago and my back had no problems during that.

Comment

Well, I ordered my back defender last night and was surprised today to get a call from the product engineer that designed the back defender. He explained that they run a small 2 man operation down in Texas. He was just calling to confirm my order and let me know that I could call them any time if I had any problems with it. That's pretty good customer service. Get a call from the inventor. Mine was shipped today and should be here thursday.

Comment

Yep, I dealt with him on the phone a few times. Always timely returning my calls and very good at taking the time to explain things to me. I had a bunch of questions, and we must have stayed on the phone at one point for close to 30 minutes.

Can't wait to get mine and try it out. Shipped monday

Comment

Same here. He called me this Monday and spoke with me for about 10 minutes on how it works. Its supposed to come in tommorow so I'm pretty pumped to try it out.

Comment

Ok. Initial impressions.

The package comes with an instructional dvd which takes you through how this thing works. It takes a LOT of time getting it set up right. The owners warned me about that when he called when I placed the order and it is quite true.

There is a great deal of adjustment built into the harness and I spent about an hour and a half getting it to how I like it. I felt most comfortable with it snug except for my my front right suspender. That one I let out some to give me a lil more drop for my weapon as I like it a lil lower and closer to my hand at waist level a la Wyatt Erp style. *shrug* Don't wanna screw with my draw.

Anyway, intial impressions have been generally positive. On my test fitment it takes some pressure off my back and hips. I feel a lil more free in terms of movement and flexability. I attribute that to me not having my belt super tight (hard to explain but it has to be a bit more loose for it to work according to the owners). On that note I am going to have dig up my bigger duty belt from the closet to accomadate the rig. It seems secure no twisting and everything stays in place. Uniform looks the same when I put the duty shirt on. Duty belt and assorted tools-o-the-trade are still heavy the weight is just placed more across the my chest and shoulders (which is the point).

So for the INITIAL review sum up:

Pros:

Takes some of the weight off my back and thus relieves some of the pressure on my back (which is the point of the entire purchase)

Im more flexible

Belt feels more....."comfy"...if I can use that term...which is relative cause duty belts suck in terms of comfort period.

Cons:

Takes a bit of time to get the "fit" right

Need a bit bigger pants and bigger belt for the harness

It screws with my BUG placement (but I think I may have a workaround for that).

Time spent putting it on (which is the operator getting used to how this thing works at this point)

Now the key will be the field testing the coming weeks as I am off for a few days and haven't put this on for the street yet. My concern will be how it feels after my 8 hour shift in a patrol car, running, climbing ect and 4 hour extra job standing. That will be where I can determine if it has been worth my money. Anyhoo that the intial review. More updates will be coming in the next few weeks.

Comment

I'm also running into the same issue with time. I actually had to go out and buy a new pair of pants and a new belt because the others were just a little too small for the rig. I like to keep them snug and without a lot of wiggle room so this kind of messed me up. When I did get the new pants and the new belt, I had a heck of a time getting everything setup. Once I got the rig the way I liked it, then it was time to try the shirt. Wow, that was a chore!! The shirt doesn't look nearly as good as it does with shirt stays, and quite honestly, look is somewhat important where I work. Just tradition I guess. I'm going to have to keep working on this to see if I can get it to work. I'm seriously thinking of having a seamstress cut the shirt for the 4 belt attachment points to see if that will help. I really like having my shirt stays, and maybe shirt modification would allow me to do it.

Comment

Wow. Just seems like too much work.

Comment

Originally posted by MidCareer View Post
                          Wow. Just seems like too much work.
                          It seems like a lot of work at first but I'm hoping I can find a way to make it work for me because I have ended up in bad shape from back pain before, even with all the exercise, stretching, etc etc etc

Comment

I am a rookie and all, but I have experience carrying all the same equipment in the military. It makes me wonder why police departments don't use a load bearing vest (as the military). We would literally carry a pistol, 9 mags, 6 m-4 mag's, and have room for a handful of shotgun slugs, and extra pockets for various other things. In addition, You can also attach a belt to most LBV's and carry all the same items as you do on a belt (only weight resides on your shoulders). Sitting in a vehicle is 100 times more comfortable.

It's the easiest way to take the weight of your back. is this not done for appearance sake? I would hope that local agencies would be more focused on performance vs. appearance.

Comment

I got my back defender Thursday night and tried to get it set up correctly. Fought with it a while and gave up on it for the night. Friday I chased after a suspect and hurt the rest of the night (bad hips and back). I tried out the Back defender today and all I can say is that today is the first time since I first started working that I got off work and my hips and knees didn't hurt. As mentioned before, it's hard to get your shirt to tuck in as neat as with shirt stays but I'm still playing around. Trying some folding on the shirt tail. I'll definitely be wearing my back defender tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ammcarty View Post
                                I am a rookie and all, but I have experience carrying all the same equipment in the military. It makes me wonder why police departments don't use a load bearing vest (as the military). We would literally carry a pistol, 9 mags, 6 m-4 mag's, and have room for a handful of shotgun slugs, and extra pockets for various other things. In addition, You can also attach a belt to most LBV's and carry all the same items as you do on a belt (only weight resides on your shoulders). Sitting in a vehicle is 100 times more comfortable.

It's the easiest way to take the weight of your back. is this not done for appearance sake? I would hope that local agencies would be more focused on performance vs. appearance.
                                I want no part in wearing and LBV on duty. Wore one for a few years in the Corps, definately wasn't comfortable sitting in a car with one on. I prefer what I got. Just my smelly opinion.
                                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7017 users online. 389 members and 6628 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X