Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking auto glass.

Just how difficult is it?

Just came across this video and wondering if it was an accurate depiction of trying to bust a window using a baton (or thumpin' flashlight) or if the Bust-A-Cap ads are rigged or altered somehow.

Originally posted by Till View Post
    Just how difficult is it?

Just came across this video and wondering if it was an accurate depiction of trying to bust a window using a baton (or thumpin' flashlight) or if the Bust-A-Cap ads are rigged or altered somehow.
    Well, I can tell you that a full-size Streamlight polymer flashlight won't break it...I tried. I then used my ASP closed and jammed it into the window, it broke then. I don't think I broke a window with the ASP extended...only closed.

Comment

The ASP broke?

Comment

It's tougher than most people think. I recommend the Res-Q-Me. It has both a window punch and a seat belt cutter, sits on a key chain or belt clip and pulls off when needed. It runs about $10.00.

"We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
        sigpic

Comment

Anyone had experience with the Zak-Tool glassbreakers?

Comment

They work.

I carry a res-q-me clipped to my duty bag, a res-q-wrench in my duty bag, and a life hammer in the car. I think the res-q-me is the way to go, since it's so small and simple and can cut a seatbelt. Although the ASP baton glass breaking cap or the bust-a-cap seem like good ideas.

Tempered glass (sides, rear) will shatter with a small, focused force. It requires a lot more blunt force than you would think. Sometimes the fractured glass will remain in place, so it's useful to have a baton (or big flashlight or long gun) ready to clear it out after the initial pop. I'd recommend wearing gloves and glasses too.

The windshield is laminated safety glass... you won't be going through that without a saw or cutters.
            Last edited by Resq14; 03-05-2009, 03:40 PM.
            All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Side glass is harder to break since it floats in the frame. Back glass is easier but you must strike near a corner instead of the center.

Years ago I had a head on that I needed to go in the back window. Beat on the back glass with my Maglite, then PR24. Got the lug wrench out of the trunk. Swung it so that the sharp part of the wrench hit the corner of the glass and it broke.
              "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Or the "street" version, get a spark plug
                "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
                sigpic

Comment

or break the antenna off the car and snap it onto the glass
                  All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

It's all about focusing as much energy as possible into the smallest point possible and not letting it flex. Yes, glass will flex. If you strike closest to a corner, particularly a framed one, the glass doesn't flex as much and will be more prone to break. You need to use direct force instead of a glancing blow.

I've ripped AM/FM antennas off cars and used them to break windows in the past. It's a cool trick to show your friends once you get the technique down.

Comment

I just broke glass a couple of weeks ago on a traffic accident with the driver pinned. Used my 21" ASP extended. One good whack punched a hole through the passenger side back seat door window. From there the rest was cake.

In the 2.5 years I've been a cop, that's the first time I've actually deployed my ASP for any reason.

Comment

I just ran across some videos last night on policeone of the www.bustacap.net
                        Looks like it replaces the base of an ASP or Streamlight. I'm actually thinking of getting one.
                        "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

My only issue with that video is the guy is just lightly twirling that baton around for the strikes and when he tried to hammer it he isn't putting much behind it. I'm only a CO so I have never had to break a windown before but I sure have been under the influence of adrenaline. Wouldn't an officer who is working with an adrenaline dump be able to smash the window? Just don't limp wrist it like that guy in the video.
                          War to the knife and knife to the hilt.

TERM LIMITS!

Comment

I ordered a ResQMe but why doesnt anyone just keep a springloaded centerpunch. I have some that fit in my pocket. Guaranteed to shatter glass.
                            Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                              or break the antenna off the car and snap it onto the glass
                              You beat me to it.....This actually works well. Just put the antenna flat against the window pull the tip back and let it smack the window.
                              R.I.P. Officer Wayne McLaughlin

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11631 users online. 509 members and 11122 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X