Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Citation writing in the car at night.. ideas?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the original question:

I use small led clip lights from the dollar store. I think it's labeled as a 'book light'. I clip it on the visor above my head and it's just enough light to illuminate my clipboard without killing your night vision. You do get what you pay for but at only $1 it's no big deal if they don't last a really long time. Mine have been lasting a few months.

Here's what I use:

Comment

I use a $4 hardboard clipboard for a writing surface and just use the original interior ceiling lights or the white LED light in the overhead console for the Decatur Eyewitness Digital video system in my CVPI. I have never been a big fan of red lights. I tried using a cheap 2 AA Dorcy swivel clip light, but it swivelled the wrong way. I bought a cheap LED clip style "book light" from an auto-parts jobber store, but it was a victim of a certain sad situation and I have not replaced it.

Man, I can NOT imagine working in an environment like LA DEP does - and yet, I have been in areas of extreme violence and STILL found the interior of the patrol vehicle the BEST place to be. Again, to each their own or as they find works best. LA DEP, you just might have to come up to Pinky and de-compress for a bit !
      #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
      Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
      RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
      Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
      "Smile" - no!

Comment

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...:referralID=NA

i had the one with black housing and a green light. i cliped it to the top of the a pillar in the car. you could manuever/aim it however you want and provided enough light to write your ticket but not enough to illuminate the inside of the car. i loved it...until i left it in a spare car and it disappeared. ill be ordering a new one soon.
        Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

I drilled three holes and put three green leds into my factory dome light. They light up the console and computer area very well, but offer no glare, no deviated night vision, headaches, or other negative side effects. A toggle switch installed at the back turns on and off. I've done about 3-4 cars, but our captain is impressed enough that he might start letting us do it for more cars and scrapping the Littlelight gooseneck map lights. I'll get pics up later.

Comment

please do...
            Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

This is what I have been installing into local units.... yes they write cites in their cars.

004532161 : 4532 Map Lamp with 19" Flexible Fixed Mount Metal Arm

I mount it to the back of the MDC platform, and the neck is long enough to clear the screen in the open position allowing for light to not light the officer.
              Quote of the week: "I was going how fast? And that's a school zone?"

Comment

Originally posted by 10-74 S8 View Post
                This is what I have been installing into local units.... yes they write cites in their cars.

004532161 : 4532 Map Lamp with 19" Flexible Fixed Mount Metal Arm

I mount it to the back of the MDC platform, and the neck is long enough to clear the screen in the open position allowing for light to not light the officer.

Any place that you recommend buying one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by NYIllini
                  There is a whole thread on this. Why do people insist on believing that there is only one way to do things? There are just as many pros as there are cons for both way but You CAN NOT write a cite outside your car if your citations are computerized. There are legitimate reasons to be in your car during a stop and you can train so that you are just as safe. Once technology catches up out there I hope your SGTs and FTOs will be able to adapt and teach how to be just as vigilant in the car or they are going to be SOL. Therefore knowing what light to use is part of that. We are lucky most of our new cars are equipped with after market dome lights. Flip the switch one way and it is a normal light, flip it the other and it is a red light that makes it near impossible to see inside the vehicle. I also carry a very small pen light. Looks just like a pen fits in th pocket and gives off just enough light .
                  You literally took the words right out of my mouth, from the start to the finish of your post, with the exception of the pen light.

I find the dome light works real well.
                  Prior to switching areas, I used the ticketboard.
                  My only complaint was how large in size it was.

One of my co-workers uses something very similar to this:
                  http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0023290516301a.shtml
                  He loves it....
                  The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

Littlite LED maplight with different length necks. I use the 18's. Rocker switch with red to one side and white to the other. Expensive ?... Yes....but worth it.
                    Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
                    Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

I abide by the unwritten rule ...... NEVER write a cite inside your car.

Some of the dome lights have been covered up or even dismantled.
                      Last edited by deputy x 2; 12-14-2008, 10:05 PM.
                      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Map-Ligh.../dp/B000B6DG8Q

Originally posted by occ View Post

Some of the officers have taken the 'cheap' route and colored the inside of the ticket light lens w/ red marker.
                        Quote of the week: "I was going how fast? And that's a school zone?"

Comment

I've been using one of these for a while: http://www.insighttechgear.com/products-isee.htm I have two, one with two white LEDs (you can use one light or both, depending your lighting needs) and one with one white and one green LED (you can switch between the two). I don't like the green light, but the single white LED on either one provides enough light for something close-up like ticket writing. I place it in the pen slit of my uniform chest pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by occ View Post
                            We have a light almost exactly like this mounted in all of our units.

Being a Michiganader, and also one who does not cite a whole lot. As much as I'd like to write my citations outside of the car.....sometimes I just gotta do it inside the vehicle. Esp when it's like freakin 10 below outside. haha

But the snake type lights work very well and gets the job done. A lot nicer than the giant light up my whole body/destroy my night vision dome light.
                            "Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there"
                            -Bottom of a White Castle Cheesebuger Box-

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck.....it's probably a duck!

It is what it is!

Comment

Here are the pics of my setup in side my car.

*Note the toggle on the back. Simple on/off operation*

Lights up the console, and keyboard/computer area very well.

And it looks pretty sweet with the Matrix screensaver too.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                                I abide by the unwritten rule ...... NEVER write a cite inside your car.

Some of the dome lights have been covered up or even dismantled.
                                This has got to be mostly a "California" unwritten rule. I have never, ever heard that preached in any training I've been to on the east coast or here in the midwest.

With that said, I replaced the clear bulb on my large dome light with a red one. Works great and does make it hard to see me while I'm in the car.
                                Last edited by towncop; 12-15-2008, 10:08 AM.
                                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1967 users online. 129 members and 1838 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X