Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Citation writing in the car at night.. ideas?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citation writing in the car at night.. ideas?

Any officers here that use any special lights or items that help see in the dark when writing citations or running driver's license..

I was looking at the ticket board - http://policeticketboard.com - which illuminates the driver's license and citation, but for the cost, it's losing some main features...

Any other ideas? Any special in car lights that don't illuminate the entire vehicle just to read a driver's license at night?

Thanks!

I don't know if it's what you are looking for, but it work pretty well for me is one of these....
    http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0023290516301a.shtml

I sprayed another one with some tan krylon paint and you couldn't tell it was on the uniform. It tosses a pretty focused beam out to about an arms length away. Due to it being on that part of the uniform it tends to "sag" slightly which puts it directly inline with your ussual writting position. Kind of the ghetto approach, but I'm sure there is something out there along these lines that works just as well.
    LOCKDOWN!

Comment

I have a flexible neck lamp that is affordable and carried by Gall's, etc. It's got a red filter than you can slide over the small bulb also, and that's what I typically use to write tickets with at night. Out here in the boondocks I usually write them in the car. When I worked in a city I always just stood outside and propped up on the fender of my car with my big light tucked under my other arm. I only write them in the car now because I don't have a portable radio (walkie talkie) for my primary communications (state police) which uses a digitized system. However, I have two portables for my secondary communications (county sheriff). Go figure...

Fortunately, I rarely work at night now.

Comment

I have one of these stuck to my citation holder (have a metal one). It has a magnet on the bottom.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96673
        ... I shall not be afraid of the terror by night or the arrow that flies by day ..."

Comment

Dont sit in the '4 Wheeled Coffin' to write your cites.......get out and AWAY from the radio car.....

and the light Bass posted works pretty well.....
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
            Dont sit in the '4 Wheeled Coffin' to write your cites.......get out and AWAY from the radio car.....

and the light Bass posted works pretty well.....
            I understand where you're coming from, but I think it all depends on the overall circumstances around the stop. Is there a backup officer that can watch the vehicle while you're writing citations? Weather conditions, location of stop, etc. I have to be in my vehicle to run the Registration / License anyways.. our portables don't work as well as our in car.

Comment

Originally posted by occ View Post
              I understand where you're coming from, but I think it all depends on the overall circumstances around the stop. Is there a backup officer that can watch the vehicle while you're writing citations? Weather conditions, location of stop, etc. I have to be in my vehicle to run the Registration / License anyways.. our portables don't work as well as our in car.
              You will get yelled out here if you are EVER in the car writing a cite.....even with several cover officers there......its a deadly habit, and most of our sgts/FTOs will give you both barrels if they see you doing it......if you are on FTO and get caught doing it, its a write up on your DOR for the day......

If you have to run the registration/warrant ect (and cant do it over the radio), then do them asap in the car, and then get out to write.......
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=g...CP021&cat=2657

I have one of these. It was nice when I worked nights. The light slides into the side of the clipboard when you're not using it. The only problem I had with it was that the contacts for the light eventually got loose and I had to tighten them up. Not as fancy as that ticket board, but quite a bit cheaper, even through Galls.
                Last edited by cobes; 11-30-2008, 12:04 AM.
                Don't ever pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut.

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter
                Sorry, champ. Armoring your nads is weird, so deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by NYIllini
                  There is a whole thread on this. Why do people insist on believing that there is only one way to do things? There are just as many pros as there are cons for both way but You CAN NOT write a cite outside your car if your citations are computerized. There are legitimate reasons to be in your car during a stop and you can train so that you are just as safe. Once technology catches up out there I hope your SGTs and FTOs will be able to adapt and teach how to be just as vigilant in the car or they are going to be SOL. Therefore knowing what light to use is part of that. We are lucky most of our new cars are equipped with after market dome lights. Flip the switch one way and it is a normal light, flip it the other and it is a red light that makes it near impossible to see inside the vehicle. I also carry a very small pen light. Looks just like a pen fits in th pocket and gives off just enough light .

Our cites are hand written.....and will be for the foreseeable future......

We are just now getting MDCs in the car, and trainees are told to run most of their wants/warrants checks over the radio still.....(some will get done via the computer for expedience sake).......I dont see computer issued cites (for us) anytime within 10-15 years......we still hand write our REPORTS most of the time as well......

Its NOT the light being on in the car (and highlighting you) that is the issue for us....its being IN THE CAR AT ALL while writing the cite.......

I can understand in some areas where it is very cold/snowing/raining ect.....thats not an issue for us most of the time, and when it is, cites simply dont get written that much.......

Since we are very often in 1-man cars, it is a deadly habit to get used to sitting in the car while writing......

Do what you feel comfortable with in YOUR area.......I will continue doing what I feel comfortable with here.....and teaching the same......

Comment

Originally posted by NYIllini
                    But I will tell you that I can't pull a computer and printer out of my car to do it your way

Sure you could....all you need is the wireless hookup

We arent that advanced out here.....bigger isnt always better....esp. when it comes to equipment.....hell, we are just now starting to get Remington 870s with Knoxx stocks, tac lights ect to replace the Ithica 37s.......

When I started in patrol, we were just getting the MDTs in the car (which is pretty much still the standard), just getting portable radios, and were in the process of converting to the Beretta 92.......and its not THAT long ago....(1990)
                    Last edited by LA DEP; 11-30-2008, 02:19 AM.

Comment

.......and its not THAT long ago....(1990)
                      um, I was ten..lololl...people do different things. In northen cali most people I see write in their cars, but I've seen the other way also. In my department we ride two too a car most of the time, so we do all our stuff from the car the majority of the time.

Comment

Back to the OP's question, I have one of those policeticketboards, and I love it. I especially appreciate the way it magnifies the driver's license for old farts like me that haven't yet surrendered to bifocals!

Comment

The ticketboards are awesome if you have some extra cash, or makes a good addition to the christmas list. My tickets are computerized, but if they ever decided that they didn't like me anymore and stuck me back with handwriting my tickets i'd definitely get one. Forgot to mention, the guys that work for the company couldn't be nicer.

Comment

You will get yelled out here if you are EVER in the car writing a cite.....even with several cover officers there......its a deadly habit, and most of our sgts/FTOs will give you both barrels if they see you doing it......if you are on FTO and get caught doing it, its a write up on your DOR for the day......

If you have to run the registration/warrant ect (and cant do it over the radio), then do them asap in the car, and then get out to write.......
                            We don’t even call out on traffic on the radio. Everything is done over the mdt. From the stop to registration and warrant/criminal history check. There is a lot of radio traffic without all of that as it is. If an officer does call out on traffic on the radio, they are saying 'I'm not real sure what I have here' and backup will be in route without them asking for it.

I'm not saying it's the safest thing but neither is an officer needing the radio time and not getting it because someone’s trying to get a registration check. I tend to write my tickets in the car, but if I’m uncomfortable for some reason the driver will be in my backseat.

All our units have the big overhead light and two smaller ones that just light up one side or the other. The smaller ones are mounted further back near the cage and are not near as bright as the overhead ones. They work decently well.
                            Originally posted by ISPY4U2
                            Tex, if I'm ever in the Lone Star state, which is unlikely unless I'm being held prisoner against my will by separatist extremists, remind me to buy you a beer. You make more sense every post.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex4720 View Post
                              I'm not saying it's the safest thing but neither is an officer needing the radio time and not getting it because someone’s trying to get a registration check.
                              Every department is different. Our department does not have mdt's, therefore we have no choice but to call it over the radio.

If there's something going on in another area and I believe that an officer may need the radio more than me, then I'll use my mobil phone and call dispatch or not even make the traffic stop at all in the first place.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3856 users online. 241 members and 3615 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X