300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Armour....PLEASE HELP!

I am have been looking online at body armour, and am kind of confused!? I have to buy my own vest and was just wondering what everyones opinion is? My question?:

What is the best vest currently on the market? Money is not really an issue, since its payroll deductible.....forever! I have been researching them, but am a little confused! Please help!

It's not so much as what is the "best". A Threat Level IIIA vest from Company A will stop the same rounds as a IIIA vest from Company B. The largest difference is in weight of the vest and what design the carriers are.

Some of the larger names are:

Point Blank
    U.S. Armor
    American Body Armor
    Safariland
    First Choice
    PACA

If you tell us specifically what is confusing, we can help narrow things down for you.
    Last edited by Sgt. Slaughter; 11-17-2008, 03:46 PM. Reason: Removed "Second Chance" from the list.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Also second chance body armor.
      http://www.secondchance.com/home.asp
      "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

I guess what I want to know is:

What is the best IIIA, weight, coverage, and protection vest on the market? Is there a vest that everyone says they wish they would have gotten? Or is your current vest the best, and you wouldn't use anything other?

If money wasn't any issue, what would you buy Sgt.?

Comment

I haven't tried it on to see how comfortable it is, but First Choice makes a vest called "Revolution" that is put on differently than traditional vests. Instead of over your head, it goes on like a jacket and fastens (presumably Velcro) in front.
          http://www.firstchoicearmor.com/html/pro_conc.htm#

For the MOST coverage, Second Chance makes the "MAX Coverage Series". Looking at the photo you can see how much more it covers up.
          http://www.secondchance.com/products/max.asp

Really, you need to go to a uniform shop and get measured. I don't know how many you have in Kansas, but it would be a very good idea to get in and see what they've got. If money is no option, I'd buy the lightest, most flexible armor you can find. Put it in a carrier that breathes well and pulls moisture away from your body so your panels don't steep in your sweat all day.

Edited to add: Looks like you're near Topeka and KC. Get into one of those and look at the local uniform shops so they can help you out.

Of course, first things first, you actually need to get hired on before you start putting money on the table!
          Last edited by Sgt. Slaughter; 11-17-2008, 09:30 PM.
          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I have a second chance IIIA vest and love it... Its not a full coverage and has some open-sides but i like the comfort level of it. It's a great vest. A little hot in the AZ 115 degree summers but thats unavoidable!!

Get 2 carriers (maybe 3) if you plan on smelling pretty without doing laundry all the time...
            ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Comment

My vest is an Armor Express Seraph, which is supposedly the lightest weight 3a on the market. With carriers it cost over a $1000, but my department covered it. Honestly, it is lighter and more comfortable than my old self-purchased $300 3A vest, but not $700 better.

Getting it custom fitted to you and getting multiple carriers is the most important thing. The rest is just gravy.

Comment

Who has the Armor Express brand in the Valley?
                NRA Life Member

Comment

Last edited by jeeper; 04-10-2010, 02:43 AM.
                  Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

I'm a convert! Semi-true which in turn makes it false. I just found a report from a former DEA agent involved in establishing the testing protocols. I will be looking to get armor that meets the new FBI specs as well as spreading the gospel of the NIJ failures.

You know this will mean HOURS of research finding the ones that passed. Or I could contact the FBI. Which will be easier....
                    Last edited by Sgt. Slaughter; 11-20-2008, 08:33 PM.
                    NRA Life Member

Comment

Last edited by jeeper; 04-10-2010, 02:44 AM.
                      Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

I just sent an email to Pinnacle Armor to ask about pricing for a IIIA vest. We'll see how high in price they are.
                        NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                          Who has the Armor Express brand in the Valley?
                          Universal Police Supply in Tempe.

Comment

Thanks. Now I gotta call John's and see if they've got US Armor or Pinnacle Armor.
                            Last edited by Sgt. Slaughter; 11-23-2008, 11:42 PM.
                            NRA Life Member

Comment

I got a reply from Pinnacle Armor. The San Diego style vest (which is supposed to be the same type of armor as the Contour, just more coverage) is listed as $871.45 for a IIIA vest. Really, that's not a bad price.

http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/body-armor/concealed.php
                              NRA Life Member

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4000 users online. 218 members and 3782 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X