300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASP cuffs

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this or not, but it's a safety issue so it goes better said than not.

A very good friend I was talking with last night has the ASP tactical cuffs and I've got a pair also. They're all black and ultralite. Keys on each side of it, so it's convienient. I love them.

Well, a trooper brings a quite large cornfed white dude into the jail last night who's got a sheet as long as I am tall. The guy is super calm and tells my friend, 'I can break these you know'. Jonathan looks at him and says, 'Give it a shot then' and convinces the guy he's not going to charge him or anything, he really wants to see if it can be done for safety sake. Sure enough, the guy reaches up and with a fast twist, pops them wide open.

Yikes.

He's emailing ASP first thing monday and in the meantime, I think I'm going to possibly carry my old steel set.
    For those who want to argue religion, my views are in the sig. This avoids days of repetition and is convenient. Thanks and good luck in your quest.

Answering Infidels
    Faith issues
    Challenging hardcore atheism
    Reasonable Faith

thats not good
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I've just retired mine.
      State Trooper, South Carolina Highway Patrol and proud of it buddy.

Comment

yikes. any other examples of this happening? or does this guy belong on one of those traveling power shows? like the guys that can bend a car door over their knee, etc.. lol

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFjJLLJ6k34

I'll stick w/ my S&W
          Last edited by John2008; 11-09-2008, 09:37 PM.
          "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

I don't like them, even though they are lite, they are too bulky for me......Peerless for me....FTW

Comment

Originally posted by John2008 View Post
              that video is good enough for me to stay clear...thanks!

Comment

If they know how to do it almost any chained handcuffs can be broken not just the Asp cuffs. If I have someone I know has been to prison the hinged cuffs go on. I hate Asp cuffs for the reason in the video and will NEVER carry them again. It almost got us hurt one night.

Comment

Originally posted by kylet123 View Post
                  yikes. any other examples of this happening? or does this guy belong on one of those traveling power shows? like the guys that can bend a car door over their knee, etc.. lol
                  I'm curious on that also, as he told Jonathan he could snap other sets also. So I dunno if he belongs with Professor X....or if its the cuffs to blame. Either way, it wasn't cool.
                  For those who want to argue religion, my views are in the sig. This avoids days of repetition and is convenient. Thanks and good luck in your quest.

Answering Infidels
                  Faith issues
                  Reasonable Faith

Comment

Originally posted by 3441 View Post
                    If they know how to do it almost any chained handcuffs can be broken not just the Asp cuffs. If I have someone I know has been to prison the hinged cuffs go on. I hate Asp cuffs for the reason in the video and will NEVER carry them again. It almost got us hurt one night.
                    Had something similar happen during a fight in front of a club last summer. I face planted the dude and kept my weight on him (front face lock basically) and my partner got my ASPs out and had a hell of a time getting them on him because they were doing what the video is showing. I love the light weight, but that was the first time I'd questioned them.

Answering Infidels
                    Faith issues
                    Reasonable Faith

Comment

My favorite set of cuffs are my S&W model 1 hinge cuffs. They for sure aren't light or thin! They are oversize/undersize, super smooth, and built like a tank. Finding belt case with the requisite combination of basketweave leather and brass or hidden snap was pretty much impossible so I keep them in a pocket on my external carrier. I keep my extra cuffs on my belt now.
                      The DA/SA handgun: A NAZI solution to a problem that didn't exist!

Comment

I can vouch that a guy I had cuffed to a table bent them a bit to the point that I retired that pair. I haven't ever had any other problems with them though. Youtube's not loading for me right now though so I can't see that video.

Definitely very convenient with the locking mechanisms though.

Comment

I will carry the few extra grams of steel for safety sake.

Cuffs are temporary restraints. Always check, double lock and keep any eye on those knuckle heads.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentFox View Post
                            Cuffs are temporary restraints. Always check, double lock and keep any eye on those knuckle heads.
                            and cuff BEHIND the back.
                            All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

My department does not authorize the asp cuffs. They issue peerless, but you can buy the S&W.

When I was in the academy, we had several sets of the peerless that jammed up (couldn't unlock). Turned out it was a bad lot and peerless replaced them all. The replacement set I had broke. Was replaced agin, free of charge. After that set broke, I went to the S&W's. haven't had a problem since...
                              Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
                              --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3241 users online. 149 members and 3092 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X