300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning Forks & Radar

Can anyone explain how/what a tuning fork is used for with Police Radar Units? We have one car that has a tuning fork hardmounted to the dash. I thought maybe they were only used for initial installation... Anyone know whats up with this?
    ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

While I do not know the exact procedure, I saw one of our traffic guys playing with the tuning forks one day. He told me they use two different frequencies (sorry, I do not know which two). One represents 35mph, the other 55mph. He would hit the fork and pass it by the radar reciever. The display would sow the speed. I believe the speed had to be within 1mph of the intended reading to be considered calibrated. He told me he checks them at the start of every shift.

Hopefully someone with a little more experience can clear it up or answer better than I can.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

I'd buy that, Thanks!
      ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Comment

I use them every time before every shift. I know the tuning forks are set to the frequency of 35 mph and 55mph. They use the same frequency that the radar picks up a car with. When the tuning fork is struck (I use the dash) then put in front of the radar (while your radar is set to stationary) it should read what the frequency speed of the fork is. It is basically just a way of assuring your radar is in working order.

Comment

So what your saying is I should mount a huge tuning fork to the hood of my car and i'm safe to fly home after work?
          War to the knife and knife to the hilt.

TERM LIMITS!

Comment

I thought the tuning forks were set for 30mph and 55mph? Maybe they're different, but mine are 30 and 50. And, like has been noted, they're used to check the calibration of the radar unit. I do it during my squad check at the start of my shift and make a note in my patrol log.
            sigpic

Comment

For some reason, we don't do the "tuning-fork test" in Michigan. My radar instructor said that the Michigan Speed Measurement Task Force doesn't allow it.

Anybody know why?

(We're also not allowed to use the "fastest target" window. What gives?)

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                For some reason, we don't do the "tuning-fork test" in Michigan. My radar instructor said that the Michigan Speed Measurement Task Force doesn't allow it.

Anybody know why?

(We're also not allowed to use the "fastest target" window. What gives?)
                It must be a state thing.

Most places around here your taught to do it at least at the start and end of your shift. A lot of officers do it after every stop that they cite someone on. Always remember the forks along with the other test, Audible Tone, and lights are to CHECK the accuracy of the calibration of the unit.

If one of the three are not working, or the forks are off by more than a mile you shouldn't be using the radar unit. It should be placed out of service. As was told to me several times we don't calibrate the radars the manufacture comes out once a year and does that.

We were taught not to strike the tuning forks on one another to do our accuracy check either. Your suppose to use a hard surface, but not the other fork because it could change your readings or damage the forks. But from personally seeing other officers do it, I know it happens. There are several ranges of tuning forks that can be used. It all depends on what the department buys and or what the radar manufactures sell to the department.
                Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/87.pdf

Comment

you need to get your tuning fork from the maker of the radar. They are specially made to assure calibration of the radar. Its a must if you want to do traffic stops, and every defense attorney worth anything will ask you if you verified calibration.
                    sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                    Rocky Balboa
                    Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

state law or radar law whatever requires radar to be calibrated with the forks before the start of every shift and ur suppost to keep a log of miles on the car, date, and results of the test.... but nobody really does that good reason to get a ticket thrown out here... ah whens the last time u calibrated ur radar officer..murr about once a month.. not guilty!
                      "What the problem is?"

Comment

dude, any GOOD judge will ask if you test your radar before your shift...testing it involves using a tuning fork.
                        "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
                        "Treat everyone like a million bucks..But always have a plan to kill them"

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13071 users online. 524 members and 12547 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X