300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASP Aluminum Cuffs

Does anyone use the new model Aluminum Cuffs by ASP?
    Not many people talking about them and i would like to know peoples experiences with them.

I know many people don't like ASP cuffs, I understand and I read the other forums. But those were about the ASP Standard cuffs.

Please users of the Aluminum ASP cuffs, let me know what you think.

Thanks

Here is a question. Are the better than Huatt hinged cuffs. I have been looking at these.

Comment

I owned a pair for about six months. They were so-so. I usually used my issued Peerless 700 cuffs when I made an arrest so I wound up putting my ASP aluminum handcuffs on Ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by MPDCjock View Post
        I owned a pair for about six months. They were so-so. I usually used my issued Peerless 700 cuffs when I made an arrest so I wound up putting my ASP aluminum handcuffs on Ebay.
        Did they have the similar problems that the standard ASP cuffs?
        Like over passing?

Comment

I've never used standard ASP handcuffs.

My ASP aluminum never had a "passing" problem. They were as smooth as butter. They were easy to apply also.

You should check them out at a store to get a feel for them. If you're going to shell out the money for ASP cuffs you may as well toss in an extra couple of bucks for the aluminum cuffs since they are lighter.

Comment

ASP cuffs are pretty good, they have a new design ans whatnot. I Have a pair of hinged as backups to my Peerless 700's. If you decide to buy www.thehandcuffstore.com is where I got mine. They were cheap and they added engraving to the cuffs for free.

Comment

Check though..I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy whos cousin had asp, said that they wouldn't fit in regular single-cuff case/pouch...Anyone verify this?
              "Be safe, have fun, and lock somebody up"

Comment

ASP tries to push their own handcuff cases. making the cuffs sliiiiiightly bigger is clever marketing :P

Comment

Did they solve their problem yet?
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFjJLLJ6k34
                  This is why I haven't bought a pair of ASP handcuff yet.
                  They make good cases tho.
                  "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

I guess I don't see the problem. The person in the video is bending the bow outside of the frame. I've tried doing this with the pair that I have, and you need to bend it quite a bit before it slides along the side like that, also you can clearly hear that the ratchet is not engaging. I guess I don't see an issue with it. If the cuff is properly put on it will lock and be secure.
                    "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Comment

I just bought the Standard ASP cuffs (bcz they don't sell the aluminum ones in the stores near my place)
                      and I like them a lot. Very smooth, great features. They basically took a bunch of experienced cops and asked them ''Ok, what features would you like to have in handcuffs?'' and they developed the ASP handcuffs.
                      Lightweight, keyholes both sides, single direction turn of a key to unlock both double and single lock, 22 locking positions..good for large guys, teenagers and women, and the list goes on.
                      As for ''the problem'' of the overpassing the bow, you do have to use some pressure to do it. This can also be do with any other cuffs. Just be smart, you have to hear the bow click in, and then check your cuffs if they are properly secure. This should be basic.
                      For the case, yes they do not fit in normal cuff cases. But, its not only ASP that makes cases for these cuffs. I bought a really nice looking Gould & Goodrich case for my cuffs and fit perfectly. Just ask the guy at the store for the cases that fit them, they have a list.

ASP cuffs are the future, lightweight polymer is used in these and are used in many firearms that we use, like the beautiful Glock. Also for people who don't trust ''plastic'' for restraints, Riot control for Police and Prison use Tie-Raps. More and More stuffs are starting to appear on our duty belt, which means they will have to cut the weight on some items. Guns have been cut down already and this item we use to protect our life and the lives of others. SO come on! for people whom don't like these ASPs for the polymer content. We have technology these days.

Comment

Originally posted by POLSKAPAT View Post
                        I just bought the Standard ASP cuffs (bcz they don't sell the aluminum ones in the stores near my place)
                        and I like them a lot. Very smooth, great features. They basically took a bunch of experienced cops and asked them ''Ok, what features would you like to have in handcuffs?'' and they developed the ASP handcuffs.
                        Lightweight, keyholes both sides, single direction turn of a key to unlock both double and single lock, 22 locking positions..good for large guys, teenagers and women, and the list goes on.
                        As for ''the problem'' of the overpassing the bow, you do have to use some pressure to do it. This can also be do with any other cuffs. Just be smart, you have to hear the bow click in, and then check your cuffs if they are properly secure. This should be basic.
                        For the case, yes they do not fit in normal cuff cases. But, its not only ASP that makes cases for these cuffs. I bought a really nice looking Gould & Goodrich case for my cuffs and fit perfectly. Just ask the guy at the store for the cases that fit them, they have a list.

ASP cuffs are the future, lightweight polymer is used in these and are used in many firearms that we use, like the beautiful Glock. Also for people who don't trust ''plastic'' for restraints, Riot control for Police and Prison use Tie-Raps. More and More stuffs are starting to appear on our duty belt, which means they will have to cut the weight on some items. Guns have been cut down already and this item we use to protect our life and the lives of others. SO come on! for people whom don't like these ASPs for the polymer content. We have technology these days.

I was completely on your side until the 'Glock' comment! What were you thinking?
                        "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Comment

I use the bianchi 7300 size 2 case for the asp chained and size 3 for the asp hinged....no problems

Comment

Sorry I Heart Glocks

Comment

From personal experience ASP handcuffs do over-pass and you don't have to bend them to get them to do it. I had purchased two pair for the academy and during our training both pair I had over passed during handcuff training. I wasn't the only one. Out of 12 of us, 4 had one or more pair of ASP's. It happened to everyone. When cuffing a compliant subject -- No problem -- but when you were struggling with a perp or 'grandma' didn't want to be cuffed, the overpassing happened, not evertime, but often enough. By the time we graduated, not a single person had ASP's on their duty belt. And yes they are oversized and a standard handcuff case will not work. The good thing is I was able to sell mine on e-bay for almost the same price I paid for them.

That was a few years ago, so I can't speak to new aluminum cuffs. But I do know I've seen some scary stuff with steel cuffs. I don't think I would trust aluminum cuffs on some of the perps I've had to deal with. I may be a little paranoid, but until I see some data from people I trust who's used them, I wouldn't consider purchasing them. For the time being I'll stick with the two pair of S&W cuffs on my belt and two pair of peerless in my duty bag.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4817 users online. 291 members and 4526 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X