Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet-proof vest - cleaning

Hello all,

I have since been issued a vest at the Academy, and they said you can wash the carrier (all the velcro and such), but the bullet-proof material has not been washed since I have it. It smelled originally from someone else, so I just began spraying it with Febreeze to try and get the smell out.

How can I clean/de-odorize the bullet-proof material?

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by grd2326; 11-19-2011, 11:05 AM.
    "work harder ... millions on welfare depend on you"

Comment

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=BP076

Comment

Soap and water then Febreeze and lots of it. Its not really good for the vest but the one you have is expired and your not going to get shot at in the academy.
        I enjoy life on the dirtroad

Comment

LOL, I would hope not. I have always thought the actual bullet-proof material inside the vest was WAAYYYY past its prime. I did hear though, that they strapped a vest to one of the the targets at my Academy and none of the 9mm ammunition went through, so I guess it's ok.

Comment

I shot a twelve year old vest from 3 feet with both 9mm and 45 ACP FMJ. It stopped both.

There has to be an advertised life span though. Manufacturers don't want to be sued over a 15 - 20 year old vest...
            I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

You can actually look it up on NIJ. They did some testing 2 or 3 years ago and found that vests from the 80's still stopped what they were designed to stop 20 years later. Their conclution was that the vest material, if well cared for, will not degrade with time (except Zylon, but that a whole nother lawsuit). Kind of an interesting study.

Comment

Spraying down anything that smells bad with rubbing alcohol always seems to do the trick.
                "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

— John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4165 users online. 201 members and 3964 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X