300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite handcuff brands?

I can't figure out how to do a Poll on this site, but I thought it would be neat to have one about favorite cuff brands. Between S&W, Peerless, ASP, and Hiats.

I am just a rook, but at first I thought I liked S&W, but I am finding the push button types to double lock, like Hiats are a lot easier and faster for me to use. I am just about ready to buy a pair of Hiats and use them, but then I read that S&W are make the push pin double lock handcuffs now... Tough decisions!

I carry hiatt "big guy" hinged cuffs and love them. I would recommend them.

Comment

I like the Smiths and that's all I carry.
      LOCKDOWN!

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
        I carry hiatt "big guy" hinged cuffs and love them. I would recommend them.
        I 2nd them! They're great cuffs. I have a pair that I have had since rookie school (13 yrs) and they still work lke a champ.
        Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

push button hand cuffs

Originally posted by RedRyder21 View Post
          I can't figure out how to do a Poll on this site, but I thought it would be neat to have one about favorite cuff brands. Between S&W, Peerless, ASP, and Hiats.

I am just a rook, but at first I thought I liked S&W, but I am finding the push button types to double lock, like Hiats are a lot easier and faster for me to use. I am just about ready to buy a pair of Hiats and use them, but then I read that S&W are make the push pin double lock handcuffs now... Tough decisions!
          I had a friend on mine show me how to undoublelock the push button handcuffs by slamming them on the table. I couldn't do it, but he could, I went out and bought 2 sets of Smith & Wesson that night and thats all I will use.

Comment

def smith's or asp. thats the two i used and havent had not a problem one.

Comment

Originally posted by wittynbear View Post
              I had a friend on mine show me how to undoublelock the push button handcuffs by slamming them on the table. I couldn't do it, but he could, I went out and bought 2 sets of Smith & Wesson that night and thats all I will use.
              Could your buddy get the cuffs off? Releasing the double lock makes it worse for the suspect because now the cuffs will tighten up on him. I don't think anyone could generate enough force to do that with their hands behind their back in hinged cuffs.
              Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

I have seen people get the double locking push button cuffs off by slamming them hard before...but they hurt their wrists and were stunned for a while. i use S&W's, not just because of the name, because they are reliable and backed by a good company.

Comment

I carried Asp until they bent on the first person I cuffed.
                  Now I have Peerless. No complaints so far.
                  Don't ever pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut.

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter
                  Sorry, champ. Armoring your nads is weird, so deal with it.

Comment

I like the Peerless cuffs, but I have a set of ASP hinge cuffs coming.
                    "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Comment

ASP Handcuff Fan -

I carried the Peerless 301's for my first ten years on the job. They were great handcuffs and I never had a problem with them. However, I had to replace one of the sets after a Trooper walked off with a set of mine after a Felony Stop. You know how that goes...

Anyways, when I went to get another set of Peerless, I could only find the new 801 hinged. The quality control on the newer models really went down hill. The rivets caused me to change pouches because they were wider than my 301's. Then there was a recall of a bunch of Peerless handcuffs because the locking mechanism / double locks were failing. I was teaching at the Washington State Academy (WSCJTC) at this time – At least three times I had to use bolt-cutters to remove handcuffs from recruits (during mock-scenes) because the locking mechanism on the 801 Peerless failed.

In addition, the pawls were loose fitting and the points would sometimes "bounce" off of the cheek-plates when speed-cuffing suspects. Sometimes, the weakened double locking mechanism would engard itself while sitting in my pouch - this was a problem when I tried to place the now double-locked handcuffs on a suspect. Peerless Company were less than accommodating to replace the defective handcuffs. I will never use Peerless again because of the experience I had with them.

I use the ASP Hinged Handcuffs now, and have so for five-years. I love them. I like the double-lock mechanism on both sides, the increased diameter for large wrists, they also synch down quite small for small wrists. The flat cuffing-channel edge on the pawl is nice, along with the ability to disengage the double lock mechanism with the same turn of a key. The cheek-plates on these bad-boys are designed to flex to prevent suspects from sticking a seatbelt buckle between them and snapping them (this is how to defeat brittle steel handcuffs) – the brittle cheek-plates on Peerless and S&W’s are susceptible to this.

Yes, you can bend the pawls of the ASP handcuffs far enough to go outside the cheek-plates, but if you use proper handcuffing technique you SHOULD NOT be bending the cuffs to gain control while you are attempting to handcuff someone. Remember: Control before Restraints, then Evaluate, Search and Transport. (C.R.E.S.T.). They are corrosion resistant and take absolutely no-time to break in. Nice Handcuffs!.

Glen Carpenter
                      Train with Passion, Fight with Courage, Live with Honor.

Comment

peerless and ASP
                        Alf

Comment

Peerless. I liked the textured shape and the pushpin design. I've had lots of Smith & Wessons. I just prefer how Peerless fits my hand.

Comment

Hiatt steel/alloy cuffs. Two cuffs for almost the weight of one and fit over larger wrists to boot. However I found on half of them the single strand would bind slightly when passing through the double strands. Better to buy in person to make sure it doesn't happen to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
                              Could your buddy get the cuffs off? Releasing the double lock makes it worse for the suspect because now the cuffs will tighten up on him. I don't think anyone could generate enough force to do that with their hands behind their back in hinged cuffs.
                              No the cuffs never come off just tightened up. Yes, I agree it makes it worse for the suspect, but you have to understand the politics, it will make it worse for us too. If some poor person who has unknowingly been tricked into bending the law by the evil MPs gets injured, we lose our rank, money, get to do office work for a few months and then pull extra duty after. despite the fact that they were driving drunk with no insurace and revoked DL, tried to run from us crashed their car then wanted to fight us. I usually refuse art 15 and request court martial. Jag refuses to prosecute BS they know they could never win. Then I have to go to IG at least 5 times to get back to where I was, and for constant retaliation by the chain of command. I just don't want the drama, and if thats one way I can reduce it I'll buy the handcuffs. Thank God I am out soon good riddance to bad rubbish.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5871 users online. 328 members and 5543 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X