300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Armor Question ~ Please Respond

Hey guys I have a question and I hope to get some replies. Please feel free to post your opinions, it will really help me out.

What brand/kind of vest do you think is currently the best on the market. I am not really worried about cost, just safety. I have been looking a lot online and cant decide. I kind of like Turtle Skin ones, but haven't found anyone that wears them.

If I was to buy my own body armor now, could I wear it in place of the $400 dollar vest a department would issue, or is that a violation of policy. I know this may vary by department, but I would rather buy a safer vest for $1200 for example rather than sacrifice safety for cost. ANY THOUGHTS...THANKS GUYS!!

Please click this link,
    http://www.turtleskin.com/Body-Armor...oft-Panel.aspx
    and scroll to the bottom. There is a neat 1min video if your interested!

I like what I've seen so far about the TurtleSkin® vests, but I've also asked around for input from certain guys who like to "torture-test" armor products. I figure if they can't find anything wrong with something, it should be good.

Whether wearing something other than what you were issued is a "policy violation," that would be up to your department. They might not be bothered by it, since it'd be "on your dime" rather than theirs, or they might make noises about how if you get hurt while using non-issue equipment, it's not their problem. (As in "medical bills.")

Best advice I can offer is:
    1. Use something rated to stop your duty sidearm, at the very least.
    2. Stick with good old Kevlar, and avoid funky laminates that may melt away under a contact shot.
    3. Wear it. Your locker probably won't need ballistic protection. You might, someday.

Just one reader's opinion.
    --
    Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3076 users online. 153 members and 2923 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X