300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal LE Jobs

Hello to all. I am currently a police officer in S. Florida, I am married with children. I am looking into employment with a federal agency. If anyone could provide me with any form of information I would appreciate it. I am currently looking into Border Patrol, Customs, and FPS. Once again thank you and stay safe.

Originally posted by GB0610
    Good morning.

What kind of info are you looking for? How to apply? The difference between the positions?

Why is it that you are interested in those positions in particular? Are you willing to move to the southwest border?
    I chose those positions because as far as I can tell they mirror local police work. I am also looking into the Department of the interior; I enjoy the outdoors, and would love to work outside. I am looking for a job, where I can make a difference, help people out, and do as much police work as possible.

As far as information, I would like to know about benefits, salary, and retirement. As far as I can tell some agencies retire at 20 years of service while others don’t. Some agencies allow there officers to carry off duty and others don’t. I know some agencies give their officers take home cars, as others do not. If anyone could let me know if this is accurate, and as to which category the agencies fall into. I would greatly appreciate it.

Comment

P.S. I am orriginaly from Texas and diying to get back. Talking about this has struck a bit of a spark in my wife to move back also.

Comment

I can only speak for the job as a CBPO. We do have off duty carry under HR 218. Unfortunately we do not have take home cars, but for what the job is it is not needed. We do have LEO retirement so we can retire with 25 years service or 20 years and 50 years old, very similar to FRS.

Our pay is at http://www.opm.gov/oca/08tables/indexGS.asp. We fall under the GS scale, not the GL which is law enforcement pay. We do NOT want GL. We are paid under a law called COPRA and the pay is much better, without the required overtime at straight time.

This sight contains the health benefits http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/
        You can search the plan and options you want and get a monthly cost for each.

These sights contain information for every federal job. The main thing is figuring out what pay scale you will be paid under. If the job announcement dictates an age limit you will have the same retirement as CBPO's. If there is no mandatory retirement you fall under the general Federal Employees Retirement system. Information can be found here: http://www.opm.gov/retire/html/library/fers.asp

You can also do a Yahoo search and find all kinds of information about various federal programs.

CBPO is not like local LE, at all, it is LE but not all of the running around. On the SW border you will be busier and get more arrests, but it is still not typical LE. I jokingly refer to it as "LE light".
        Last edited by kc12; 08-07-2008, 09:53 AM.
        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

You want to go to Texas, love working outdoors, and want to make a difference....hmmm... lets seeee...BORDER PATROL! They do quite a bit, you might enjoy it. They have 24/7 carry, 20 yr retirement, go to a GS-11 with AUO, plenty of OT and TONS of job security. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
            We do NOT want GL. We are paid under a law called COPRA and the pay is much better, without the required overtime at straight time.
            Speak for yourself. I, and most of the officers I know, would have/would be making more money under GL pay with AUO.

Comment

Thank you for your input. I have applied with Boarder Patrol, EPA, and FPS. I am taking the boarder patrol test on 10/21. I am also looking into applying with the B of Indian Affairs. They have an opening down here in Florida. It would be nice to get a Federal job, and keep my local certification. If any one else has additional information please fell free to let me know. Also who do some agencies have the 20 year retirement, and others 25?

Comment

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                Speak for yourself. I, and most of the officers I know, would have/would be making more money under GL pay with AUO.
                Wow you must get almost no overtime.
                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Wow you must get almost no overtime.
                  My personal best in OT in nearly 5 years...$4.4K. With holiday pay, Sunday's and the eve/night diffs. my best overall was about $10.5K. I'll probably beat both this year, but not by a lot.

PA's are under GL pay with 25% AUO and I've yet to meet a PA making less than what most of my co-workers are making.

Comment

My personal best in OT in nearly 5 years...$4.4K. With holiday pay, Sunday's and the eve/night diffs. my best overall was about $10.5K. I'll probably beat both this year, but not by a lot.

PA's are under GL pay with 25% AUO and I've yet to meet a PA making less than what most of my co-workers are making.
                    Most of the people at my port have about 7-8k in overtime etc. That sounds low but the majority of the officer's are 5's or 7's. Considering we still have two months left until the end of the fiscal, most will have about 25% premium pays and did not work the extra 25% for it.

Comment

Most of the people at my port have about 7-8k in overtime etc. That sounds low but the majority of the officer's are 5's or 7's. Considering we still have two months left until the end of the fiscal, most will have about 25% premium pays and did not work the extra 25% for it.
                      Well...25% of GS11 pay is roughly $14.5K, so some folks will have to pick up the pace considerably.

Assuming I was at $7K in OT right now, by my reckoning at GS-11/2 pay I'd need 139 hours of OT to reach $7.5K more. With 7 weeks of the fiscal year left, that's nearly 20 hours a week for 7 weeks working OT. Good luck to them. That kind of puts that extra 25% into a different perspective, doesn't?(and at this point it's not an extra 25%, but 12.5%. We're swapping double time OT for straight time OT.)

Comment

Well...25% of GS11 pay is roughly $14.5K, so some folks will have to pick up the pace considerably.

Assuming I was at $7K in OT right now, by my reckoning at GS-11/2 pay I'd need 139 hours of OT to reach $7.5K more. With 7 weeks of the fiscal year left, that's nearly 20 hours a week for 7 weeks working OT. Good luck to them. That kind of puts that extra 25% into a different perspective, doesn't?(and at this point it's not an extra 25%, but 12.5%. We're swapping double time OT for straight time OT.)
                        You're correct, but like I stated most of the officers at my port are 5's or 7's. The 5's for the most part have made their extra 25%. One of the biggest complaints I've heard from officers at other ports is the amount of overtime is too much. Obviously the ports you and I are assigned to don't have that problem. I think we are the exceptions, not the rule.

Comment

GS-05 RUS base pay-$29762 +8K OT=37762

GL-05 RUS base pay-$36658 +25% AUO($9,164.50)=$45822.5

GS-07 RUS base pay-$36822 +8K OT=44822

GL-07 RUS base pay-$41729 +25% AUO($10432.25)=$52161.25

Your 5's and 7's are likely losing out on more than the 11's.

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
                            They are the same retirement plan. It simply depends on what age you are when you start a Federal LE "Covered" position. What it means is you can retire with 25 yrs on at any age, or 20 yrs at age 50.
                            What are Federal LE "Covered" positions?

Comment

GS-05 RUS base pay-$29762 +8K OT=37762

GL-05 RUS base pay-$36658 +25% AUO($9,164.50)=$45822.5

GS-07 RUS base pay-$36822 +8K OT=44822

GL-07 RUS base pay-$41729 +25% AUO($10432.25)=$52161.25

Your 5's and 7's are likely losing out on more than the 11's.
                              It looks like you're saying officer's receiving LEAP are being paid approximatley50% more than the rest of the Gov't employees (GL+AUO pay). It was my understanding that the GL pay scale incorporated AUO pay.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11092 users online. 515 members and 10577 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X