300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume Question

I always keep an updated resume, even though for the LE tests I'm taking it's not necessarily needed. But, I'm curious, do any other officers maintain a professional resume? If so, what do you list under the job responsibilities of patrol officer? I mean, I know what the job description says in my general policy and procedure manual, and it's not like any future employer (LE or not) wouldn't have some idea what a police officer does, but I'm just curious to see what others list that could be clearer, shorter, etc than my P&P manual.

Thanks

Just put something simple like, "conduct routine patrol, answer calls for service, enforce local ordinaces and state laws, write reports and other duties as assigned." If you conduct investigations of any substance or collect evidence, etc., go ahead and put that in, but keep it short and sweet. You may also want to mention awards and commendations, if any. Part of it also depends on your target audience. Is your resume being submitted to a chief so you can pick up a second part time cop job, are you a part-timer wanting to go full time, are you a full timer wanting to jump ship and/or get promoted?

Comment

What I did with mine was copy and paste duties of a patrolman from random police departments websites and edited them to fit my resume.

Comment

resume

You should always keep your resume up to date. GOOGLE provides a ton of free examples of what a LE resume should look/sound like. Along with your commendations and at-a-boy letters, dont forget to keep the document up to date in regards to training. As time passes and you attend more classes, it becomes very easy to get behind in keeping the resume current. You never know when you are going to need a current resume.

Also, if you are not grammatically inclined, there are services out there that will help write your resume for you. It is just important that what they write and what you can accurately account for are one in the same.

Comment

Be Creative

In my agency we maintained resumes for use in securing assignments that were granted administratively rather than by civil service promotion, such as crime prevention, regional communications center, detectives, dignitary protection, special operations, administrative aide to the commander, etc.) Because they were for internal use, we glossed over the common stuff because everyone knew what it was. For example, when it came to patrol, instead of going into lengthy detail we would simply say, "Performed routine foot and vehicle patrol" .But, we would include other assignments that made us stand out.

Sit down with some of the people you have worked with over the years, try to remember all the non-patrol things you have done and them put them to words, Think about it yourself over the next couple of weeks and jot it down every time you think of something. Even if it was a temporary, one time assignment, you did it and can honestly put it on your resume. With "careful" wording, you can make yourself sound like the best cop in the world without lying. For example:

If you were ever involved in doing a complete criminal investigation, assisting in an applicant background investigation, conducting a non-criminal fact finding inquiry for the brass or your city/county, or presenting a case to the DA for criminal filing, consider including all or part of the following:
          Conducted criminal, follow-up, applicant background, and other investigations of a complex and sensitive nature. Presented cases to the district attorney’s offices for prosecution.

If an elected official came to town and you were assigned to assist his protective detail. you may wish to include:
          Assisted in providing for the physical protection of (insert protectee's office and name). Provided liaison between (insert your agency's name) and his protective detail.

You may have unusual minor talents that your bosses are always tapping into. For example, if you are a good writer, you may be called upon to draft reports or letters on others behalf. Similarly, if you are knowledgeable in the law, you may be called upon to research issues for them. Occasionally you may be asked to represent the department and wave the flag at some obscure community meeting no one else wants to go to. You may have seen things within the department that you thought could have been done better, or thought of ways to save money, found a need for new or better equipment, researched these issues and submitted recommendations for change in writing. Perhaps you were called upon to provide training at roll car about something new you just learned at a recent class. All of this small stuff counts. You just need to know how to word it. Consider using any of the following:
          Represented the department at public meetings.

Performed (Insert one or more as needed legal/procedural/equipment) research, making recommendations and formulating plans for implementation of new procedures/purchases.

Composed and responded to correspondence on behalf of the department.

Drafted reports on behalf of the department.

Performed roll call training.

Also don't forget, on shifts when there is short staffing, sometimes patrol guys wind up serving as the acting Watch Commander. If you did, put it on your resume.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9317 users online. 322 members and 8995 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X