300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying before graduating?

I am looking to apply for LASD, LAPD and possibly as a BPA...and was wondering about applying before I actually graduated with my BS.

I have seen a lot of posts talking about how long the processes can take, and frankly I dont want to stick around in my hometown waiting for up to a year or longer to start my career.

Do agencies allow (or frown upon) applicants applying 6 months (or more) before graduation?
    Last edited by Flanker; 08-01-2008, 10:18 AM.
    "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
    the more knowledge, the more grief."

Hiring in law enforcement is not like in private business where you apply today, get interviewed tomorrow and start next week. Instead, the process is protracted and takes several months. Six months is not an unreasonable period.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      Hiring in law enforcement is not like in private business where you apply today, get interviewed tomorrow and start next week. Instead, the process is protracted and takes several months. Six months is not an unreasonable period.
      Yeah. I realize that the process is protracted. I said that in my post. I was asking if it is possible to begin the process earlier, so all of that 6+ month process is conducted while I am still in school, and so I am not sitting on my butt after graduation.
      Last edited by Flanker; 08-01-2008, 10:39 AM.
      "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
      the more knowledge, the more grief."

Comment

My bad. I should have read you post more closely. As long as you possess the minimum qualifications for the position (usually 21 years old, high school diploma, valid drivers license, US citizen, no felony conviction, etc.) you can start the testing process.

The catch is that because most agencies do mass testing, it is usually done in stages that will require multiple trips out here. All those who pass the written will be invited back a few weeks/months later to take the oral. All those who pass the oral will be invited back a few weeks or months later for the physical agility. A few weeks/months later for the background, again for the medical, etc. Some agencies do expedited testing for out of town applicants where the written, oral & physical agility are crammed into a one week period. Then you come back for the background and again for the medical. It can be expensive. However, California is the land of milk and honey (and earthquakes and nut jobs) so it's all worth it.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Flanker View Post
          Yeah. I realize that the process is protracted. I said that in my post. I was asking if it is possible to begin the process earlier, so all of that 6+ month process is conducted while I am still in school, and so I am not sitting on my butt after graduation.
          As long as you don't need the degree to apply, go for it. Even if you are offered a job faster than expected, most large agencies will be willing to hold off hiring you for a couple of months so you can finish your school.
          Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Apply now, you never know how many months or years it could take to get hired.

Comment

Flanker: Consider contacting a recruiter. I am a police recruiter in NC. In this state the larger agencies will begin the process 1 year from the class start date. As an example, In this Department I still have class seats for our October 22nd class. I am processing candidates for our January 14, 2009 class. Once college is back in session mid-August I will be actively recruiting seniors for our June 10, 2009 class. I will begin the process for a June 2009 now. Candidates with a college degree are in the preferred applicant group.

Finally, Flanker, If you came to NC it would still be a reasonable drive back to visit in Western PA.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9815 users online. 335 members and 9480 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X