Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bureau Of Prisons; Good Agency Or Not.

I applied to BOP about 7months ago with no response, I have Security,Corrections,Military,and Police Experience 0083 Kings Bay, Filled out the questionnaire twice. I decided one day that since I hadn't been to Sally's Cop show up in Brunswick,GA near FLETC in a while, went into the store and walked around a bit. In about 30min in comes these individuals from the BOP nothing like I had ever seen, they looked as if they were the last of the last as far as Federal employees. Some uniforms were chewed up,some looked as if they had been grandfathered in,the rest were just hanging on.
    My question is can someone explain to me what exactly do they do,powers they have are they recognized as far as; LEO pay, promotion potential, is it a great outfit, what's the better institutions and do they carry or have credentials like other agencies with the Dept of Justice. Can they or do they make lateral moves towards DEO and AEO and JPATS Thanxs.

I worked for the BOP in 2006. If you want to be a cop stay away from the BOP. Thoe work for the most part is boring and you sit behind a desk and observe inmates. It's a no brainer job and the rumor mill is horrible due to all the CO's having too much time on their hands. The uniforms are white shirts with gray pants. They do carry creds but are not issued a badge, it's a small laminated id that says federal corrections officer. I bought a cred case at FLETC. It is considered LE and covered under LE retirement. They can carry concealed off duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Topsy Krets View Post
      I applied to BOP about 7months ago with no response, I have Security,Corrections,Military,and Police Experience 0083 Kings Bay, Filled out the questionnaire twice. I decided one day that since I hadn't been to Sally's Cop show up in Brunswick,GA near FLETC in a while, went into the store and walked around a bit. In about 30min in comes these individuals from the BOP nothing like I had ever seen, they looked as if they were the last of the last as far as Federal employees. Some uniforms were chewed up,some looked as if they had been grandfathered in,the rest were just hanging on.
      My question is can someone explain to me what exactly do they do,powers they have are they recognized as far as; LEO pay, promotion potential, is it a great outfit, what's the better institutions and do they carry or have credentials like other agencies with the Dept of Justice. Can they or do they make lateral moves towards DEO and AEO and JPATS Thanxs.
      The Federal Bureau of Prisons is recognized as part of the Federal law enforcement category. They do not actually enforce many Federal laws. Their arrest authority falls under title 18-3050. They do however enforce the imposed judicial sanctions issued by the US Courts, which is one of the reasons why they are 6C/12D covered.

Depending on experience their pay plan starts at the GL-5 and ends at the GL-7. Based on what you have said regarding experience, should start at the GL-6 level.

Promotional potential is good with many opportunities to advance, especially if you are mobile. The more willing you are to travel the better the chances. They can also have good training opportunities if you could stick it out passed your probationary period. Special Operations, Enhanced Disturbance Control and Hostage negotiations

The better institutions in my opinion depend on who you are. The US Penitentary tends to be more violent then the FCI'S and MCC's, however that is subject to debate. Usually the major cities tend to have the highest turn over rate as there are more opportunities to make more money with the Government. These are the institutions that need people bad. They have an accelerated hiring program for specific institutions, Atwater California is one of them.

Their uniforms have changed to navy blue cargo style pants with a lighter blue shirt. It looks alot better then the security guard uniform they had previously, in fact anything looks better then that gray and white.

You cannot go wrong with FBOP, especially if you are not in the Government. It will stop the clock when it comes to age restrictions and will not waste time when it comes to your pay and pension. I have been with the FBOP for 5years now and am gearing to go to another agency. During my time frame I have promoted twice with absolutely no sweat and if I decide to stay would probably keep moving up the ladder.

As for the DEO, AEO position with the US Marshals, I have many friends who have done a lateral move with that respective agency, so yes it is possible. That would depend on how you sell yourself

Hope this helps, Good luck

Comment

I have military, police, and some college, and havent gotten a call back from my initial app. online. I know 2 guys who have less experience than me who work for FBOP. Any advice, I am just going to wait and stick it out and see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by navy80 View Post
          I have military, police, and some college, and havent gotten a call back from my initial app. online. I know 2 guys who have less experience than me who work for FBOP. Any advice, I am just going to wait and stick it out and see what happens
          If FBOP continues to be the way they are, it will always need people. Like I said before depending on where you applied for will determine on how fast you are hired.

The fiscal year for the BOP is in October. You should hear something by then. They are in desperate need of bodies. You should easily qualify for the GL-6.

The only advise I can give you is to never put all your eggs in one basket. Keep applying until you hear something. The BOP is great way to start and get yourself started with the Government. You will be able to accrue time on your TSP, 6C/12/D pension and possibly get your pay matched if you get picked up by another agency.

I would give it another month before I called HR to find out the status of my application.

Good luck

Comment

BOP is weird. I interviewed with them for a position in Lompoc. The whole interview went well, or so I thought. Everything was good except I was disqualified for leaving a job because they were going to let me go. Now understand there was no disciplinary anything involved, and it was completely amicable. My boss even tried to get me transferred to a different department rather than let me go. That DQ'd me. The 9 1/2 years of honorable military service, 3 of those years in law enforcement, apparently meant nothing. Go figure.
            USSCP
            Faxed App 7/28/10
            Received notice of testing 8/28/2010
            Test Scheduled 9/9/2010

Comment

Originally posted by GitmoVet View Post
              BOP is weird. I interviewed with them for a position in Lompoc. The whole interview went well, or so I thought. Everything was good except I was disqualified for leaving a job because they were going to let me go. Now understand there was no disciplinary anything involved, and it was completely amicable. My boss even tried to get me transferred to a different department rather than let me go. That DQ'd me. The 9 1/2 years of honorable military service, 3 of those years in law enforcement, apparently meant nothing. Go figure.
              When you awnser the question resign knowing you will be terminated I would awnser no. My reasoning is because you resigned because you were going to be laid off. Not do to adverse action which is what tyhey are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by GitmoVet View Post

you could actually dispute that action. If I were you I would call back the institution you applied for and explain to them the situation. The FBOP is notorius for making errors like that all the time.

It is also known that the FBOP has fired people after they have been employed with them for over three years regarding an issue on their backgrounds, regardless that they were career conditional already.

The FBOP has lost most of their cases when it came to Arbitration. The FBOP was forced to pay back thousands of dollars for issues that should of never happened regarding hiring issues and backgrounds.

It would not hurt you to call, the worst that could happen is that they say no again.

Good luck

Comment

I use to work for the BOP/KGB. It was very hug a thug. If your just looking to stop the clock before you age out, then go for it. Otherwise I'd suggest you continue looking.

Comment

Actually, if they're going to overlook 9 1/2 years of military service, three in a law enforcement capacity and part of that as a guard in GTMO for something absolutely meaningless, then I think maybe they have the problem.
                    USSCP
                    Faxed App 7/28/10
                    Received notice of testing 8/28/2010
                    Test Scheduled 9/9/2010

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5260 users online. 295 members and 4965 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X