Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would this disqualify me? If not who would hire?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would this disqualify me? If not who would hire?

Okay, a little foreground, im 20 years old, and was discharged from the marines last year for medical, more specifiacally (drug/alcohol abuse), I lied about it to get out, Long story, involved months of sitting doing nothing in a quarantine, I wasn't gonna take it. Regardless, I got arrested about a month ago, I thought what I did was in the right under the castle doctrine, but the police didn't think that, I got booked under aggravated asssault w/ deadly weapon w/o intention to kill. But its now dropped to "improper exhibition of a firearm or deadly weapon", would this type of misdemeanor stop me from getting onto a force? I realize I can't just be a kid anymore and actually have to go do something with my life, but I know I have to get away from my lifestyle and my friends or something like this is going to happen again.

Are there any agencys that hire people that are under 21 without degrees? Or should I goto college first (I have the money for it) I wanted to rejoin the marines, but for whatever reason they still look as the misdemeanor I got as a felony, so that may be out.

Best advice would be to go to college, get your degree, and put years between you and your arrest (without any new incidents). Besides, most departments that I know won't hire under the age of 21.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel View Post
      Okay, a little foreground, im 20 years old, and was discharged from the marines last year for medical, more specifiacally (drug/alcohol abuse), I lied about it to get out, Long story, involved months of sitting doing nothing in a quarantine, I wasn't gonna take it. Regardless, I got arrested about a month ago, I thought what I did was in the right under the castle doctrine, but the police didn't think that, I got booked under aggravated asssault w/ deadly weapon w/o intention to kill. But its now dropped to "improper exhibition of a firearm or deadly weapon", would this type of misdemeanor stop me from getting onto a force? I realize I can't just be a kid anymore and actually have to go do something with my life, but I know I have to get away from my lifestyle and my friends or something like this is going to happen again.

Its not being under 21 that will stop you, its your lack of maturity.

I wanted to rejoin the marines, but for whatever reason they still look as the misdemeanor I got as a felony, so that may be out.
      Guess how the LEA's you apply to are going to look at your felony arrest...

Comment

Are there any agencys that hire people that are under 21 without degrees? Or should I goto college first (I have the money for it) I wanted to rejoin the marines, but for whatever reason they still look as the misdemeanor I got as a felony, so that may be out.

Just so you know this should be under "Ask A Cop- Hiring Questions". There is no way you will be hired right now. The medical discharge is not going to look the best but it will depend on your reenlist code. Why would you lie about drug/alcohol abuse to get out? The military is the best thing you younger guys who are looking for bigger better things with their lives can do. This will look extremely bad, if you lied about that then what else are you willing to lie about? Why would you want to rejoin after you obviously didnt want to be in there the first place? The arrest, you need a long time in between your age now and that charge. The charge itself may disqualify you right off the bat with some agencies but its all going to depend on what the circumstances of the arrest were. Your right about what you said growing up and getting away from your lifestyle, do it now. I would recommend you go to college and get a degree and give it a good number of years and start applying. I wouldnt recommend you to go for a BS in CJ because there is a good chance you may not get hired. Go for something that you can use in the work force. I'm just throwing in my two cents.
        You do not greet death, you punch him repeatedly in the throat until he drags you away...

Comment

That one word right there shows a lack of integrity to some degree. The military isnt for everyone but if you wanted to smoke pot, why join? Also, you'll be DQ'd all because of that one word right there.

No room for lies in law enforcement. There's enough bad apples floating around without more trying to get into it, especially those with a criminal past. Now, I mean no disrespect but you made your mistakes at a young age. In 20 years, you'll wholeheartedly regret them for sure. In the mean time, choose a different career because it obviously hasent chosen you.

Comment

I was discharged from the marines last year for medical, more specifiacally (drug/alcohol abuse), I lied about it to get out,
            Err.....you signed a contract to serve your country, then lied to get out of it....? Are you sure you didn't get popped for a dirty pee and this is the lie/excuse you are using...?

I got booked under aggravated asssault w/ deadly weapon w/o intention to kill. But its now dropped to "improper exhibition of a firearm or deadly weapon"
            Charged with a felony then dropped to probably a Class A misdemeanor...? Wow....

would this type of misdemeanor stop me from getting onto a force?
            Yes it will....!! Why in the world would an agency want to hire a kid that not only lied to break a contract with the military (if that's even true).....then was charged with a felony and still has charges of a very serious misdemeanor hanging over his head...???

Are there any agencys that hire people that are under 21 without degrees?
            In Florida....one can get hired at 19....but once again....who would want to hire you....? What do you have to bring to the table to an agency...? Oh...a crappy discharge and a misdeameanor record......that the other 10 candidates don't have.....

Or should I goto college first (I have the money for it)
            Go to college....find something other than CJ to major in....and forget about being a LEO for about 10 years....AND MAYBE...Just MAYBE....you might be able to find a job then.....but I doubt it.....

I wanted to rejoin the marines, but for whatever reason they still look as the misdemeanor I got as a felony, so that may be out.
            PFFFFfffff.....The Corps won't take you back......so forget about that.... Maybe the Reserves or National Guard.....but not the Corps..... And I seriously doubt the Reserves/Guard will take you with a bad discharge and a misdemeanor charge......so.....

Comment

Bearcat357 basically answered it all. It's up to the individual agency, but frankly, your chances aren't good. No offense, but if your resume came across my desk, I'd "round file" it right away. Sorry, but that's the truth. I might be a little more harsh than others since I did 8 years active duty,but good luck.

Comment

I would recommend against even interviewing you here. Sorry but that is the bed you have made. Drugs, waving a gun around, and even the marines won't take during a war. Take the advice the others are giving you. Besides, a law breaker joining the police to help straighten himself out is doomed to failure. You have to straighten yourself out by your own efforts before asking the public to depend on you.

Comment

+1000 Bearcat. That pretty much says it all.

And +100 to the round file.

When people ask me if I think they should go to college first instead of going right into law enforcement, I always say yes, because I didn't and I'm regretting it now (Its not going to be easy to get a Masters while working full time... ).

I would recommend you choose another profession... no offense.
                  Oh, yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it... or, learn from it!

Comment

let's reverse the question, what GOOD qualities do you possess? it doesnt appear that you can even bring a fork to the table! security guard MIGHT be your route.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8875 users online. 311 members and 8564 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X