300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forest Service LE

I have a few questions about US Forest Service LE positions if anybody here works for them:
    1). Do they get take home rides?
    2). Do they receive AUO or LEAP, and what % do they get?
    3). Is the agency really proactive/LE oriented? Do you actually get to make arrests? (The vacancy that I am applying for is in a border area)?

Any info would be appreciated. I would really like to work natural resources LE, I am just wondering if I would find the work satisfying in comparison to Border Patrol work....

Hey BigPat, I'm not a FS officer, but I am a BP agent going to a different NR agency, and I have several acquaintances who work for FS. They do get take home rides, most have Tahoes in that beautiful shade of green. All that I know get 25% AUO, but I don't know if that varies from office to office. As far as enforcement goes, it depends on the Patrol Captain in charge of each office. I assume you're putting in for a spot in AZ. I know the guys in Nogales and Sierra Vista work ALOT of dope, so that would be pretty satisfying work. Back home I know they do DUIs, marijuana grows, and pretty much any law enforcement that needs to be done in the forest. Budgets can be iffy, especially with the emphasis on terrorism in today's law enforcement. My opinion, go for it and don't look back.

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
      Fox is 100% accurate. To add to his comments about enforcement, I will reiterate that it truly does depend on your Patrol Captain and the patrol sector.

AND, its also VERY important that you recognize the common inability to get your cases prosecuted through the AUSA. So with that in mind, your ability to do "TRUE" enforcement (make arrests at will) will depend on your offices ability OR WILLINGNESS to obtain STATE arrest authority. With it, you can arrest on State charges and take them to a local lock up just like a local deputy, sending your cases through the County Prosecutor. Without it, you will have to call and get approval for each arrest through the AUSA. That will be HARD coming, unless its a "big" case (felony level).

An MOU with the local Sheriff is something you need to look into when you interview in a specific sector. Ask that question of the patrol captain. Do they have an MOU with the local County? Can you make State arrests? If the answer is no to both questions, your ability to do "true" enforcement will be limited.

Otherwise, 25% AUO is standard across the board. So are take homes. If you are going to be working in a border area, expect to be a BP Agent. Drugs and aliens will be your primary mission.......because they affect the resources
      Thank you for the information. I have a couple of more quick questions for you. Do you know if the USFS has any kind of peace officer status in AZ?
      Also, do they hire a lot of people from BP, or do they prefer to hire people out of natural resources type agencies?

Comment

Originally posted by Fox402 View Post
        Hey BigPat, I'm not a FS officer, but I am a BP agent going to a different NR agency, and I have several acquaintances who work for FS. They do get take home rides, most have Tahoes in that beautiful shade of green. All that I know get 25% AUO, but I don't know if that varies from office to office. As far as enforcement goes, it depends on the Patrol Captain in charge of each office. I assume you're putting in for a spot in AZ. I know the guys in Nogales and Sierra Vista work ALOT of dope, so that would be pretty satisfying work. Back home I know they do DUIs, marijuana grows, and pretty much any law enforcement that needs to be done in the forest. Budgets can be iffy, especially with the emphasis on terrorism in today's law enforcement. My opinion, go for it and don't look back.
        Thank you for the info.

I think I am going to put in for that slot in Tucson even if it is only GS-9. I am trying to get a VRP to Arizona, but have been unsuccessful so far(I won't go to Ajo). As much as I like PA work I wouldn't mind trying something a little different.

What agency are you going to, BLM?

Comment

Yeah, BLM. As far as peace officer status goes, it depends on if the Patrol Captain wants you to have it, and if the local Sheriff is willing to give it to you. I'm sure GB0610 knows more about that. I know several BP agents that have been hired by FS, and lots that have been rejected. My buddy at LMPT at FLETC said most of their new hires right now are fresh out of college with natural resources type degrees. BLM, on the other hand, hires plenty of agents.
          Last edited by Fox402; 07-21-2008, 08:14 PM.

Comment

SO, if i want to live in MT and work the NR side BUT have no LE experience, what is my in? I have a BS in Homeland Security & 10+ years in Military & overseas security. I love the outdoors and think i'd like USFS, BLM, etc. but would be open to almost anything to get there & learn more. Thanks for input and good luck guys in your quests.
            trainee

Comment

I would love an outdoor gig as well. This is handy for looking up the DNR type gigs:

http://www.nrahq.org/hunting/statefishgame.asp

Good luck

M-11
              “All men dream...... But not equally..
              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
                I'm unaware of whether or not Fed LEO's have peace officer status in AZ.
                No peace officer status here, so the MOU would be very important.

Comment

Is this thread talking about US Forest Service 1801 LE position? If so, what is known about the North Carolina positions listed recently? I am looking to relocate to NC due to family issues, but I am nervous about leaving a Detective SID spot located in a 500 man department, to go and work in a park. Any suggestions? Depending on the LEAP/Locality pay, I might end up around the same starting pay. I know the FEDS have better health rates than my current also. WHAT IS MOU???

Comment

GB-
                    Thanks for the intel. I have contacted the MT BP office and they said to start the process & see what happens. Sounds about right. I'm also working the Park Police angle to Park Ranger. I just got my test date for Park Police in DC. That is UNDESIRABLE as it gets!!! But i'm willing if it will lateral me to Park Ranger in MT/ID/WA/ID/etc.
                    trainee

Comment

Has anyone heard anything yet on your applications that you put in? I know the nationwide openings closed a few days ago. I got an email saying that my application has been forwarded to selecting offical. Has anyone else got that email?

Comment

I didn't apply to any of the recent FS openings since I finally got my Land Management gig, but be prepared to possibly hear nothing. I was referred to the selecting official multiple times with FS, but never heard anything else. Like I said earlier in this thread, my friend at the academy says the general hiring trend with them seems to be people fresh out of college with natural resources types of degrees. Of course, it ultimately depends on where you applied, what the selecting official is looking for, your quals, and your competition's quals. So keep plugging away with those applications, and good luck!

Comment

To second that last statement, I applied to every single BLM and USFS opening since April of 2007 and out of all of those I had three interviews and I finally got picked up for a USFS LEO position in Utah about two weeks ago. It's a long process and sometimes you have to be willing to accept any location to get your foot in the door.

Comment

I am beginning to see that.....thanks for all the heads up...I wont hold my breath...Ill just wait until 2010 before I excpect to hear anything.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8143 users online. 364 members and 7779 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X