Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchorage Police Dept Hiring 22 officers-Recruiting in Mid West region in Sept

ANCHORAGE ALASKA HIRING 22 POLICE OFFICERS

- No College Degree Required-

Anchorage, Alaska is a modern city that still has that small town feel. From great shopping, schools, and unlimited outdoor activities, we have something for everyone. APD is hiring police officers for an academy scheduled for November 24, 2008. Our academy is a non-residential program and you will be paid while attending the academy. The starting hourly wage for new recruits is $27.02 and for lateral officers $28.45.

The APD Recruiting Unit will be traveling in September to Minnesota and Michigan. Details on dates and locations are listed below. Those interested in testing in one of these locations need to submit a request to test form with the city name you plan on testing in noted on the top of the request to test form.

Normally out of state applicants have to make two separate one week trips to Anchorage to complete the hiring process. By testing at one of the locations below, the applicant will reduce the number of trips they have to make to Anchorage down to one. This testing process is to hire for an academy anticipated to start November 24th 2008.

If you have any questions contact Officer Steve Haas by email at [email protected] or by phone 907-786-2463 or Sgt. Couturier by email at [email protected] or by phone at 907-786-2444.

The testing schedule will be the same each day. The successfull applicant should plan on a two to three day process. Applicants passing the written testing will be scheduled for an interview. For the interview the applicants must bring their driver's license, a completed (and notorized) background questionnaire (available under the forms link), most recent evaluation from their employer, original or certified copy of high school diploma or GED, original or certified copy of DD form 214 (if applicable). Although advance registration is preferred, walk-ins will be accepted if they meet the requirements.

Applicants that succesfully interview will complete an extensive psych written battery. APD staff will notify individual applicants of their invitation to attend the final processing in Anchorage. Those applicants should plan travel to Anchorage, Alaska for final processing from October 10th through the 17th. Processing in Anchorage will include physical agility testing, psych assessment, medical evaluation, and polygraph examination. Further information will be provided during the briefing.

Schedule of Events Each Day

0900-1000 Briefing (spouses welcome to attend the briefing)

1100-1500 Entry Level Testing

1530-1700 Personal History Questionnaire

Briefing and Testing at the following locations:

Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Testing Sept 12, 13, 14, 15
    Interviews Sept 13, 14, 15, 16
    Embassy Suites Minneapolis Airport
    7901 34th Ave South
    Bloomington, Minnesota 55425

Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Testing Sept 16, 17, 18, 19
    Interviews Sept 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
    Marriott Courtyard Ann Arbor
    3205 Boardwalk
    Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108

Visit www.joinapd.org for more information about the selection process, pay & benefits, department information, or more about the community of Anchorage.

Sgt Michael Couturier 907-786-2444 [email protected]

Officer Steve Haas 907-786-2463 [email protected]

***ACADEMY DATE CHANGE***

The academy is going to start on Dec 1st, 2008, so you can enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend!

Steve

Comment

Getting a lot of questions about pay and benefits so here is the info:

SALARY AND BENEFITS SUMMARY (July 2008 figures used)

The starting wage of a Patrol Officer Recruit is $27.02/hr. Lateral Officers start at $28.45/hr. Max hourly wage for Senior Patrol Officer of $34.74/hr is reached at the end of six years. These figures do not include shift differentials, overtime, specialty assignment pay, or educational incentives.
      2007 average salary for a 1st year officer was $73,918
      2007 average salary for a 3rd year officer was $74,108
      2007 average salary for a 5th year officer was $84,670
      2007 average salary for a 10th year officer was $103,921
      2007 average salary for a Sergeant was $103,781

The Municipality of Anchorage has an excellent health coverage plan for the employee and eligible dependents.
      There are currently eleven and a half paid holidays per year.
      Shift overtime on the first and third days off is paid at 1 ½ times the regular rate of pay. Overtime on the second day off is paid at 2 times the regular rate of pay.
      Compensation for court time during off-duty hours is paid at the overtime rate with a three hour minimum guarantee
      Associates degree may qualify for a 4% increase over base pay; Bachelors degree may qualify for an 8% increase over base pay.
      The Municipality pays tuition and book expenses for all employees enrolled in accredited university courses.
      5+ weeks of vacation which increases to 6 weeks after five years.
      Sick leave accrues at the rate of 6 hours per pay period, or 19.5 days per year to a maximum bank of 520 hours.
      Anchorage Patrol Officers enrolled in a retirement plan through the Alaska Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).
      Optional 401K with one to one matching funds and/or 457 deferred compensation plans.
      Uniforms and and equipment provided and $200 every other year for clothing allowance.
      Take home car program.
      Patrol Officers are required to participate in the Anchorage Police Department Employees Association (APDEA).

Comment

And the PERS rates are what % per year with a cap of...?? Thanks

Comment

http://www.state.ak.us/drb/dcrp/AK_D...nfo_082206.pdf

www.state.ak.us/drb

Its a defined contribution plan, you contribute 8%, city matches with 5% and you choose what type of funds your money is invested in (similar to a 401K plan). We also have an optional 401K with 1:1 matching funds up to $2,000 and an optional 457 deferred comp plan.

Comment

Why dont they come to San Diego?

Comment

I would love to go to San Diego, only concern is we are not sure how the whole Southern Cal weather/beach life would compare to the more outdoorsy Alaska lifestyle. It was a possibility when considering trips but we chose to return to the mid west region.

Comment

I live in the East County... 3500 feet up it was 40 degrees when I woke up haha.

How many applications do you usually get?

Comment

Originally posted by alaskariverguy View Post
                  I would love to go to San Diego, only concern is we are not sure how the whole Southern Cal weather/beach life would compare to the more outdoorsy Alaska lifestyle.
                  Do you know how many Border Patrol Agents live and work here that work 100% in an "outdoorsy Alaska lifestyle?" Might be worth looking into.

Just my little 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by stojanowski View Post
                    I live in the East County... 3500 feet up it was 40 degrees when I woke up haha.

How many applications do you usually get?
                    That's colder than it is here, it was 51 degrees when I left the house at 6am.

We usually get about a thousand applicants a year, maybe a little less.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by slinger2424 View Post
                      Do you know how many Border Patrol Agents live and work here that work 100% in an "outdoorsy Alaska lifestyle?" Might be worth looking into.

Just my little 2 cents.
                      Not really sure about the border patrol guys. I know that they are here in town and in fact I will see their recruiter at our state fair which starts today. I would imagine that there are a fair number of them working near the Canadian border and probably in places like Kodiak, Seward, etc. Can't see them being assigned to too remote of an area.

Steve

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6369 users online. 284 members and 6085 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X