Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruling expands veterans' access to federal jobs

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ruling expands veterans' access to federal jobs

    Don't worry so much about the age 37 cut off anymore.


    http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0708/071508b1.htm

  • #2
    "Don't worry so much about the age 37 cut off anymore."

    If you are not a veteran you still have a worry or two......

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sled View Post
      "Don't worry so much about the age 37 cut off anymore."

      If you are not a veteran you still have a worry or two......
      Especially if you are a veteran without ''preference'' status.

      Comment


      • #4
        So why is this only for veterans????? This may lead to other issues if the normal non vet pushes it, at least that is what I forsee. Hell ya got some sorta deaf person suing McDonalds because of a drive through incident!!!! I see a can of worms on this one here though!!!!
        Your Gauging Intelligence From An Ignorant Scale

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by vacop4274 View Post
          So why is this only for veterans????? This may lead to other issues if the normal non vet pushes it, at least that is what I forsee. Hell ya got some sorta deaf person suing McDonalds because of a drive through incident!!!! I see a can of worms on this one here though!!!!
          So your question is why a veterans preference law is only for veterans???

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Swamp King View Post
            So your question is why a veterans preference law is only for veterans???
            I think he is asking why only veterans with preference status will be able to be hired beyond age 37 for 6c positions.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
              I think he is asking why only veterans with preference status will be able to be hired beyond age 37 for 6c positions.
              The easy answer then, is because there's a law (On the books since 1944 mind you) that was just cited in a recent MSPB ruling that will FORCE them to.
              Otherwise, why would the Gov't go out of its way to hire oldsters when they have more than enough youngsters beating down their collective hiring "doors".

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes..., That's the reason why they need to extend it out to Veterans over 37 because of the youth. The younger they are the more liability you will more than likely have.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Swamp King View Post
                  So your question is why a veterans preference law is only for veterans???
                  No I understand and agree with veterans preference in regards to points. What I was trying to (poorly apparently, sorry) ask/discuss was if they remove the age restriction for veterans only from 37 how will this decision affect other non vets trying to apply and get LE jobs???? With how sue happy society has become, I can forsee this getting challeneged by non vets.

                  Please understand, I am happy that vets are able to apply beyond 37, I was mearly bringing up some points that may come up later when John Public decides to make issues with it. That is all!!!!
                  Your Gauging Intelligence From An Ignorant Scale

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There are many reasons this would effect only Preference eligible vets, first the law recognizes the service provided. Also understand that the average (not all) 38 year old vet is in better shape than the 38 year old civilian who has never been in the Military or other LE/Fire type job. Also a VA study shows that vets have on average, a better fitness level and better health than there civilian counterparts. This holds true up until their late 50s or early sixties where they both are about the same. However the same study also showed that service members with service connected disabilities of 50% or more tended to be less healthy than either group.

                    Until this no retired soldier was able to apply to any 6C/12D position because you can not retire less than 37. The issue with only Preference eligible vets is really a non issue. All vets since 91 are preference eligible, which are the majority in the hiring pool at this time. The only vets that are not Preference eligible are those post Vietnam (75) pre-Gulf War (91) vets that have not served in Korea (The Korea Defense Service Medal for post 54 service was established in 03 and gives a preference to any service member who has served at least 30 days in Korea its air space or waters) Grenada, Panama, Sinai Peace Keeping force. So the the only way a vet is not covered by this is if he or she only served in in the States or Europe. So I believe the majority of vets will be covered under this.

                    As to non vets suing for the same rights, I don't see any grounds for it. Just because the vet gets this why shouldn't I? Why not sue the VA for free health care or prescriptions? Why not a Government subsidized home loan for those who chose not to serve as well. And lets open the National Cemeteries to the civilian as well, after all without him there would be no need for the military at all, right? Several persons and groups have sued OPM and the Fed for coverage, and for the age limit violating the anti discrimination laws, they have all failed. They failed because the Fed exempted themselves from the law and when it comes down to the job what you actually do does not matter, its what the agency say you do.

                    I don't think you will see a flood of new competition for the god of all jobs here (the 1811 series). First of all the decision states the age limit would have to be necessary and mentioned the possibility of continuing service until age 60. So at most I see this giving the vet just 3 more years of eligibility or to 40. With several agencies already there I don't see it causing a big stir. I have already seen a HUD 1811 with the vet pref waiving the age but I would like to see if that actually goes to anyone over 40.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here is a link to the actual decision.

                      http://www.mspb.gov/netsearch/viewdo...cation=ACROBAT

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Heck Yeah! Now I won't have to work at Target when I retire.

                        M-11
                        “All men dream...... But not equally..
                        Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                        but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                        for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

                        TE Lawrence

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ssgtwg View Post
                          The only vets that are not Preference eligible are those post Vietnam (75) pre-Gulf War (91) vets that have not served in Korea (The Korea Defense Service Medal for post 54 service was established in 03 and gives a preference to any service member who has served at least 30 days in Korea its air space or waters) Grenada, Panama, Sinai Peace Keeping force. So the the only way a vet is not covered by this is if he or she only served in in the States or Europe. So I believe the majority of vets will be covered under this.
                          Actually any vet that served between '92 and '01 that didn't serve in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized, which is most veterans who served during that time frame.

                          All of the details can be found here:

                          http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetguide.asp

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
                            Actually any vet that served between '92 and '01 that didn't serve in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized, which is most veterans who served during that time frame.

                            All of the details can be found here:

                            http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetguide.asp
                            Your post confused me. The way I understand/recall the ops tempo from the period between 92-01 the person without a campaign medal is the rarity. So the majority of the former military members from this time period would qualify for preference.
                            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

                            For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well ok then, beers is on me!!!! That was a long read ssgtwg but informative!!!!!
                              Your Gauging Intelligence From An Ignorant Scale

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 10381 users online. 445 members and 9936 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X