300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed Interns

I am currently working as an intern (STEP) for a federal natural resources law enforcement agency. I am working with one other intern and our tentative end date is 09/30. The deal is though one of us will be selected to stay on with the agency as a permanent intern and will be apart of the SCEP program which almost guarantees you a agent position.

I am a 19 year old student at the local community college studying criminal justice. I also work for the state liquor control board doing underage buys and have gone on over 130 hours of ride alongs with state law enforcement officers. So that is basically my background.

The other intern is 29 has 10 years military police experience, also a local community college criminal justice student. He will also have veterans points, wartime veterans points, and disabled veterans points.

One of the agents was talking to me and basically said in nicer words that he's gonna be the guy and was telling me what I should do after the internship. I already knew I was against some pretty good competition with the background he has.

Now to my question, since I am already a intern with a fed LE agency, does that make it look more appealing to another agency as a potential intern hire?

Howdy

Wildlife,
    My understanding is you have to be 21 for a LE position. Yes, interning with any agency will help in the job process.

Comment

Originally posted by dsns5000 View Post
      Wildlife,
      My understanding is you have to be 21 for a LE position. Yes, interning with any agency will help in the job process.
      I know I have to be 21 for a LE position. What I am asking is if I apply to another federal agency for a intern position will the prior fed internship experience help me?

Also the fed gov has a program called SCEP which is basically a intenship that lasts your entire college career and after you graduate the agency has 120 days to hire you into a officer or agent position non-competively. If that agency doesn't pick you up you can apply non-competively to any other federal agency.

Right now I am in the STEP program which is basically a basic intern program. For my case the one that gets to stay on with the agency will convert to the SCEP program.

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
        I know I have to be 21 for a LE position. What I am asking is if I apply to another federal agency for a intern position will the prior fed internship experience help me?

Also the fed gov has a program called SCEP which is basically a intenship that lasts your entire college career and after you graduate the agency has 120 days to hire you into a officer or agent position non-competively. If that agency doesn't pick you up you can apply non-competively to any other federal agency.

Right now I am in the STEP program which is basically a basic intern program. For my case the one that gets to stay on with the agency will convert to the SCEP program.
        check out the marshals, their co-ops are hired automatically after graduation. it's probably very competitive, but it seems like you have an advantage already. refer to their website for more info.

Comment

Being a co-op doesn't automatically get you the job. Makes your chances a lot better because of the money they already have invested in you. But it doesn't automatically get you the job. I personally know 3 that weren't hired.

Comment

Originally posted by manstown View Post
            Being a co-op doesn't automatically get you the job. Makes your chances a lot better because of the money they already have invested in you. But it doesn't automatically get you the job. I personally know 3 that weren't hired.
            that's interesting. i thought i read somewhere that they have to be hired because its in their "intern contract" that they are guaranteed a position after successful completion. that is why they have to go through the same hiring process as everyone else, no?

Comment

Originally posted by rix031 View Post
              that's interesting. i thought i read somewhere that they have to be hired because its in their "intern contract" that they are guaranteed a position after successful completion. that is why they have to go through the same hiring process as everyone else, no?
              I am a intern(not LE) and they're not obligated to hire us after our time is up. More than likely they will though because of all the money they forked out for training(not always though). In my contract they word it to their advantage so if they don't "like" you or feel you're competent to fulfill the job duties than they can let you go. Also if there are budget cuts interns are first to go.

Comment

Originally posted by StateChamp View Post
                I am a intern(not LE) and they're not obligated to hire us after our time is up. More than likely they will though because of all the money they forked out for training(not always though). In my contract they word it to their advantage so if they don't "like" you or feel you're competent to fulfill the job duties than they can let you go. Also if there are budget cuts interns are first to go.
                BUT, we are talking about the u.s. marshals service, not your agency. at any rate, here is the scoop-

"CSCEP is a cooperative education program that prepares undergraduate students for Deputy U.S. Marshal (DUSM) positions. It is a 16-week (640 hour) work-study program for college students pursuing degrees in criminal justice, political science, psychology, public administration, sociology, or social sciences with a concentration in one of the majors listed. CSCEP allows students to apply classroom experience to the Areal world,@ and offers work experience in the public sector. Students who successfully complete the program may be noncompetitively converted to a DUSM position."

manstown was correct, the key words here are "may be ......"

by the way, "Areal world, @" is not a typo by me. its actually written like that on the website.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11277 users online. 373 members and 10904 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X