300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral Movement in Federal Agencies

I was wondering how easy it is to lateral from one 1811 position to another? Say for instance, can you lateral from AFOSI to ICE or DEA? And is it easier to lateral over then it is to actually get on initially with the particular agency. I know you will already have your CITP under your belt so that can be appealing. Can someone give me some insight on this.

It is not as easy as one might think. Jumping from one agency to another is somewhat easier if you are trying for another large agency. If you are going for an OIG spot good luck. Typically you will be going against MANY qualified GS13s trying to find a position with better quality of life.

I say apply for anything that might interest you. It never hurts and you might just land the one you want. Remember this. Some laterals will require you to go back to the academy. Not all agencies send to CITP. DEA, FBI, USPIS, are examples of some who will require you to go back to boot camp!!

Comment

Being an 1811 will give you an advantage over a non-1811 candidate, but it still won't a cakewalk, to say the least.
      They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomer View Post
        I was wondering how easy it is to lateral from one 1811 position to another? Say for instance, can you lateral from AFOSI to ICE or DEA? And is it easier to lateral over then it is to actually get on initially with the particular agency. I know you will already have your CITP under your belt so that can be appealing. Can someone give me some insight on this.
        It depends, if you are looking to head down the FBI/DEA route, chances are you'll have to attend their academy. As far as other agencies, much like crossing with UPTP you'll get credit for that course but you'll still have to go through agency specific training and you're TIS(govt time) will transfer but not your seniority from your previous agency- so if you were to make such a move, it would be wise to do so prior to getting journeyman (13) status.

Comment

Originally posted by Helo_Leo View Post
          It depends, if you are looking to head down the FBI/DEA route, chances are you'll have to attend their academy. As far as other agencies, much like crossing with UPTP you'll get credit for that course but you'll still have to go through agency specific training and you're TIS(govt time) will transfer but not your seniority from your previous agency- so if you were to make such a move, it would be wise to do so prior to getting journeyman (13) status.
          Actually with some agencies you can regain your previous GS level without waiting the normal time in grade period a new 1811 would. For example you are a GS-13 at IRS-CID and accept a GS-9 opening at an OIG. Many agencies give management discretion to bump you back over a MUCH shorter period of time than someone who is a brand new 1811 coming on board. Yes, you take a hit for a few months, but you can be back at a GS-13 level in less than a year if you play your cards right....

Comment

I was actucally thinking about the same question you posted Dotcomer....im quite intrested in the BP (currently applying in CA)but I know eventually id like to move back East (NY/NJ/PA area) and maybe applying for ICE ...I understand that in applying for ICE you would need to go back into the academy but its still something im intrested in...Im a little discouraged reading all the posts on ICE and how long others have been waiting (which seems be be a "theme" with federal LE jobs)...Anyone have similar experience? Think this is a realistic possibility? Just looking for some advise/info..

Sorry to hijack your post Dot.
            ---------------------------------------------
            DEA Diversion Investigator

Interview&Written Test 2/22/10
            Medical
            BI

US Park Police
            Application Submitted
            NOR- 78

Border Patrol
            Written Test- 93%

Comment

I would think BP is the route to go. But for me, i am one of the ones that just got screwed out of an interview because i did not score an 90 or higher. I am still really upset that the grading system was implemented after i took the test in April 08. I received my results deeming me eligible, but i am not really eligible. I only scored an 88. Who knows, the G could always change their mind in the future and let those of us that did not score a 90 or higher still move on. At least i pray for that!

Comment

Hi there Dotcom,

I see from the AFOSI SA Thread you are pretty excited about getting a job with AFOSI. It may just be me, but it’s a little tacky to be looking forward to a job in one thread, and asking how you can lateral to another Agency in another.

This is not the kind of behavior I look for in people who might end up in Baghdad with me. Please do not waste our training and money. If you are already looking at your transfer options, just put in for those jobs please.

M-11
                (AFOSI Guy)
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

I am just looking out for my future bro! The reason i was asking because i have heard you can not transfer out of a military agency into a so called civilian agency like DEA or something like that. I didn't want to join an agency where i was locked in. And i don't have a job with AFOSI, i was just weighing my options as i am in the pool for several agencies.That was the only reason i was asking. Don't jump ahead of yourself.

Comment

I totally understand what you are talking about. That is not my intention at all. I was just curious about laterals in general from a military agency to another non military agency. Hell, with any field of work especially LE you want your partner to be 110% in the mind set at all times. I go into every field i work with 110%, and with this, I was just weighing my options.

Comment

I am just looking out for my future bro!
                      As I am Mine. I've been here quite a while now. New people are MY future at this point (IF you make it into AFOSI, you will probably meet me. I'm everywhere...)

And i don't have a job with AFOSI, ...
                      ...Don't jump ahead of yourself.
                      You see the irony here right?

Any service in the defense of others is commendable, and honorable. I ma primarily concerned because there are a lot of people that come to AFOSI and suck up training for a couple years, then they either leave for another Agency, or threaten to leave every time it looks like they might get deployed. This is seriously annoying to those of us who do the same job on enlisted pay with no civilian arrest authority.

Like I said, while you think about this: Baghdad, Balad, Baghram, Kandahar, Ali, Ramadi... There is an extensive list of places that are a little tense, and we are at them all. We have lost a bunch of good people doing a job you probably have not been completely told about overseas.

I hope you do not decide to use this agency as a stepping stone. We figure that out quickly.

M-11
                      “All men dream...... But not equally..
                      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Thanks ROSchwoe....Im not looking for the BP to be a stepping stone..Its something ive been thinking about doing for a long time...just looking at my options in the future (assuming im accepted into BP)...I guess if I were to apply to the ICE office in CA i would have to explain how I would want an ICE position on the East Coast....Thanks for the heads up/info

Ryan
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        DEA Diversion Investigator

Interview&Written Test 2/22/10
                        Medical
                        BI

US Park Police
                        Application Submitted
                        NOR- 78

Border Patrol
                        Written Test- 93%

Comment

Dotcomer, K @ 911 hit the nail on the head.
                          They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10543 users online. 292 members and 10251 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X