Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opportunities in the LE Field for People With Color-Vision Issues?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opportunities in the LE Field for People With Color-Vision Issues?

I have a BS university degree and took many Criminal Justice classes, even passed the Laws of Arrest Course PC832. Applied to LAPD a while ago and ended up failing the color vision test. I didn't even know I had a problem before this. Turned out that I had red/green color deficiency. After that major disappointment, I did some volunteering as a paramedic abroad, and now that I'm back home, I'd like to find out if there are any jobs in Law Enforcement that don't require you to have perfect color vision.

I'm willing to relocate to virtually anywhere in the US. My color vision is almost as good as anyone else's, I just can't pass the Ishihara test. Any opportunities for people with this type of issue in Law Enforcement? Probation maybe - does anyone know if they require a color vision test? The LA Co. probation website doesn't have too much info.
    Last edited by enegue; 06-25-2008, 03:57 AM.

I think every law enforcement agency, that being federal, state, county, and local departments require a color vision test. It's important to be able to distinguish between all colors when your on the job.

Comment

Have you tried to appeal? Perhaps you can do a field test with the eye doctor. There is another color deficiency test that is acceptable and is listed in the POST documentation, in the vision pdf (try searching the POST site). It's called the Farnsworth D-15.

Also, search "colorblind," "color blind" and/or "color deficiency" on this site, there is lots of discussion and info. Good luck.

Comment

I feel your pain. I was all but told that I would be DQ'd from SCHP. I brought the colorvision issue up prior to the background check. I was afraid of reprocutions from my current employer, should they find out I was looking to leave. I was given the standards(trichromatic), took the sheet to my eye doctor, and got a no go. I am investigating several local depts now to try and get my foot in the door. Sorry not to be any more help.

Comment

When I first took the ishihara test for my medical I failed, I was given another test in lieu of that one and passed with flying colors, I do not recall the name of the 2nd test I took, The person administrating the test didn't know why I failed the first test, I was told I am red and green color deficiency blind to a certain point but not to the point where I wouldn't be able to do my job. After the results were brought to my agency I was given the OK from my chief. With a little over a year on the job as a part-timer I don't seem to have any issues thus far with detecting colors. Thing to remember is don't give up and keep testing, ask the administrator of the test about another option if its available.

Comment

if you fail a color vision exam you can request (and pay for) to take another exam that goes more in depth. Usually if you fail the first one, you might pass the second one.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gbotj View Post
              if you fail a color vision exam you can request (and pay for) to take another exam that goes more in depth. Usually if you fail the first one, you might pass the second one.
              Thanks for the replies. I did search this forum and elsewhere before posting. There were posts about color deficiency, however I didn't see anything about career opportunities in LE, probation, or similar that don't require perfect color vision.

As far as taking a second exam, LAPD's second exam is a laminated sheet of paper with paint samples on it from Home Depot. There are colors people with normal color vision have difficulty recognizing. Additionally, they place you in a dark room with a small desk light. Combining 1 light source in darkness and laminate makes it very difficult to see. I failed both tests. End of the road when it comes to working for the LAPD for me. I did not appeal at the time, I should have. But a couple people reported that LAPD had zero-tolerance for color vision issues. Maybe the POST accepts Farnsworth D-15, but LAPD doesn't (and LASD). I am searching for a dept. that will accept Farnsworth D-15, because from what I know, I can do that test according to the online version of it anyway.

Like I said, my main question is if there are any jobs in LE, as a Peace Officer, that don't require this same high standard for color-vision? I wish I had some info about Probation Officer work, but details online seem to be limited.

Comment

I briefly worked for Mooresville PD in North Carolina. One of my fto's told me he was color blind. Im not sure if they let him slid on that issue or if anybody who is color blind can get hired there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10498 users online. 497 members and 10001 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X