300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish College?

I have come to a fork in the road with school. After high school I started college and did really well and accumulated over 60 credits. I started working and really put school on the back burner because I was putting alot of hours into my work. In the back of my mind I always thought "well Im going to be a cop so I dont really need my degree" e.g. my brother and my father dont have college degrees and they are making 6 figures. Im only 4 semesters away from getting a degree and the County is on a freeze anyway and it would be nice to have the option to go to the Feds if I wanted which I cant if I dont have a degree. Anybody out there have the same kind of dilemma and know of any good online accredited schools where I can finish up fast before a department gets back to me?

Why not just finish up where you are? Become a reserve officer? An online college might not accept the credits you already have, so if you decide to go that route make sure ahead of time. What is your major? Personally I would finish up your degree.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoRespect View Post
      In the back of my mind I always thought "well Im going to be a cop so I dont really need my degree"
      This is pretty dangerous thought process. You never know what could happen. You could get into le and realize it's not for you, you could get injured, or something else could happen.

Comment

I have come to a fork in the road with school. After high school I started college and did really well and accumulated over 60 credits. I started working and really put school on the back burner because I was putting alot of hours into my work. In the back of my mind I always thought "well Im going to be a cop so I dont really need my degree" e.g. my brother and my father dont have college degrees and they are making 6 figures. Im only 4 semesters away from getting a degree and the County is on a freeze anyway and it would be nice to have the option to go to the Feds if I wanted which I cant if I dont have a degree. Anybody out there have the same kind of dilemma and know of any good online accredited schools where I can finish up fast before a department gets back to me?
        Look into American Public University: http://www.apu.apus.edu/index.htm
        They're completely online, fully accredited, reasonable priced, and the best school I've encountered when it comes to accepting outside credits. They specialize in public safety type degrees, eg. emergency management, security management, C.J., etc...
        Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Depending on where you're looking, you may not need a degree for a Fed job. Border Patrol is hiring like mad, and they're at the point now that they are actually pointing out that they'll hire folk without a high school diploma.
          Last edited by merlin436; 06-24-2008, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Washingtonian View Post
            Look into American Public University: http://www.apu.apus.edu/index.htm
            They're completely online, fully accredited, reasonable priced, and the best school I've encountered when it comes to accepting outside credits. They specialize in public safety type degrees, eg. emergency management, security management, C.J., etc...
            Columbia Southern University is a similar public safety oriented DETC accredited online school, but tuition is only $185 per undergrad credit hour.

http://www.columbiasouthern.edu/

I personally would recommend a traditional school for undergrad, but I have heard good things about CSU.
            "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

Originally posted by audi0xpl0de View Post
              This is pretty dangerous thought process. You never know what could happen. You could get into le and realize it's not for you, you could get injured, or something else could happen.
              Amen. Well said. I am 28 years old and going back to school part time while working full time. I tell all of the young ones that come up to the station and talk about all of the excitment, and how they can't wait to graduate high school so they can start working, that they need to go to college. In these days, you will either go now, or later. But regardless, if you ever want to get anywhere in just about any job, you will eventually go to school. It isn't getting any cheaper or easier, so do it now. Also, you never know what tomorrow brings, so you need to be prepared. Look at Liberty University, AMU, and Upper Iowa. They all seem to be decent schools, and regionally accredited. Always check accreditation. Here is the website to check a school.
              http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.asp

Comment

I agree with the first two responders.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9586 users online. 455 members and 9131 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X