300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afghanistan

New to the forum and I am seeking advice about a police mission in Afghanistan with Dyncorp. I am scheduled to attend PAST in VA. on July
    19th. I am specifically looking for advice on what to expect In VA. and daily duties in Afghanistan. I have heard some horror stories about the Psych. test in VA. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I just completed PAST in VA, waiting to deploy to Iraq now.
    In VA you will be busy with full days. Be ready for the PT test on the second day. The quarter with a 35 lb vest, rifle and pistol belt with pistol. You run to a cone, run back, run up and down steps then to the cone and back. Be ready because VA is hot and humid. I did it in 105 degree day with high humidity. The O course is not too bad. As far as the psyche goes, just answer the questions honestly. They are not looking to see if you are crazy, but if you are suitable for the mission at this time. Once that is done, you are broken up into 8-10 man teams. You then go through all the mission critical training. It is a full and intense two weeks. Make sure you are in good shape. Pack as little as possible, less is better. You will be issued a ton of gear at PAST. I spoke to a lot of prior mission afghan guys, and duties there vary by location. Be prepared for "rustic" living conditions. A lot of guys said that the living conditions, internet, electricity, DFACs, etc... are better in Iraq. Plus the pay is better too.
    The instructors at PAST are really squared away, pay attention to what they say, they have all been to either Iraq, A-stan or both. Good luck, and PACK LIGHT!!!

Comment

GR217 I sent you a pm. hpd52 Im considering going also.. Let me know how PAST goes

Comment

Thx

Thanks for responding. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Went on a recent family vacation and had some computer trouble. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by hpd52 View Post
          New to the forum and I am seeking advice about a police mission in Afghanistan with Dyncorp. I am scheduled to attend PAST in VA. on July
          19th. I am specifically looking for advice on what to expect In VA. and daily duties in Afghanistan. I have heard some horror stories about the Psych. test in VA. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
          Not sure where in 'Stan you'll be going to but I saw the Dyncorp guys when I was in J'Bad- not sure what kind of living conditions they had compared to us but generally it'll eaither be in a C-hut, or modified container... you'll have access to whatever you can think of (internet-although slow at times, telephone, MWR(gym, movies), local bazaar's, military PX, and some compounds have a subway, pizza hut etc. to give you a tatse of home.

When you find out what region of the country you're going to, I can advise you better how to pack... summertime is HOT no matter where you go in country- J'Bad hit 130's easy in August but the winters are a little different, Kabul gets quite a bit of snow and is around 7000 ft in elevation which = very cold temps, other parts of the country get a ton of rain, and if you are fortunate enough to be in J'Bad, you'll get occassional rain but you'll rarely see the temp drop below 40-50's in the cold months.

I know the Dyncorp guys were in Kabul and J'Bad but they could also be in Bagram, Kandahar, Herat, Shkin and other glorious locations in the 'Stan- don't know much about the Dyncorps guys aside from you can spot them a mile away with the huge American made Level 4 F150's & Excursion's, no bigger bullseye in the land of Corolla's & Landcruisers... Good Luck with your tour, I'm sure you'll love it... a few things to remember- drink bottled water always, NEVER pay the asking price at a bazaar, and if you eat the local bread, make sure you don't get an "end" piece)

Cheers-

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was originally recruited to be stationed in Kabul, but I am sure that can change as most things do. I probably need to worry about PAST first, any advice for that? Again, I really appreciate your time and keep the info. coming if you can.

Thanks!

Comment

Going over to Afghanistan

I'm looking at going in Sept/Oct. Just completing my paperwork. Any information anyone can give would be great. I've gotten a recent response that had great information on the PAST process and the hurry up and wait especially on the way over to Afghan. Any additional info. is appreciated. Thanks all.

Comment

I am set to go to VA later this month. If you get any more info please forward it to me.

Thanks

Comment

Keep in mind your living conditions vary as much as where you are stationed. You could be in Kabul in a concrete building with AC/ wireless internet, cable and a private bath, or you could be at a US Army post living with 9 other guys in a wooden building with no internet and the head is 100 meters away. Some places are better than others. Any questions about PAST or Afghanistan, I will be happy to help.

Best of luck

Comment

TX

what company were you with and would you work for them again. Whats the good and the bad.

thanks

Comment

Dyncorp in Afghanistan. I will not do another tour because it's too hard on family life back in the states. The good is $9300 hits your checking acct every 28 days. The bad can be what you make of it. There are so many scenarios once you get into country as far as where you will be stationed and your job. Dyncorp has FDD Mentors, Provincial and District Mentors, and Training advisors, and you have no idea where you will go until you get to Kabul and they tell you. You could get a decent gig with good living condtions and good chow, or you can get screwed and live in plywood buildings and swat at flies while you eat your MRE. You just have to make up your mind as to why you are going, and once you make a commitment, don't look back. Dyncorp is no different than any other for-profit corporation. They are going to do what benefits them, not you. If you know that going into it, you can adapt to the BS much easier.

Comment

Just happened to see this thread and it got my attention. Forgive my ignorance on the issue, but does Dyncorp only hire folks with law enforcement experience? I went to their website and clicked on the "Police Recruiting" link but the link did not work. How does the whole Dyncorp thing work? Do you volunteer to go overseas and sign a contract for a certain period of time? According to the response above, the pay appears to be great - is there a standard pay schedule? What exactly are the duties and responsibilities?

Thanks a ton for any information or direction.

Comment

Originally posted by flyer2007 View Post
                          Just happened to see this thread and it got my attention. Forgive my ignorance on the issue, but does Dyncorp only hire folks with law enforcement experience? I went to their website and clicked on the "Police Recruiting" link but the link did not work. How does the whole Dyncorp thing work? Do you volunteer to go overseas and sign a contract for a certain period of time? According to the response above, the pay appears to be great - is there a standard pay schedule? What exactly are the duties and responsibilities?

Thanks a ton for any information or direction.
                          Disregard this inquiry, found plenty of info elsewhere. Thanks!

Comment

Afghanistan in October with DynCorp

I was just informed that I'm likely to be in P.A.S.T. on October 4th getting ready for Afghanistan. I believe I have an understand of what the missions are about: training police officers. I don't understand where this takes place? Are we on a secured facility or are we in the field mentoring and training them basically on the front lines? I would like some details if possible so I can try to get a firm understand and prepare myself.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10496 users online. 494 members and 10002 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X