Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cyber crime / fraud work at the local LE level?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyber crime / fraud work at the local LE level?

Greetings folks,

I'm a established IT professional with a strong network and security background. I've been seriously researching and considering applying for the FBI, but I can't get over the fact that you may have to relocate. I have two homes in my current locale, and absolutely have no desire to relocate. Do you folks know if local police have cyber crime divisions, and what does it take to get into these divisions? It appears to me that you have to have a minimum of two years of patrol work to be even considered for an investigative position? Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Depends on the size of the department if they have a cybercrime division.

Most are uniformed positions, I believe, given the nature of the work

I know some of the radio and computer techs that do systems work (building, designing, repair) are civilian/non-uniformed

Comment

Uniformed position is what I'm interested in. Do you know if you can join the cyber crime track right after the academy, or do you have to do your time in the streets first?

Originally posted by a cashew View Post
      Depends on the size of the department if they have a cybercrime division.

Most are uniformed positions, I believe, given the nature of the work

I know some of the radio and computer techs that do systems work (building, designing, repair) are civilian/non-uniformed

Comment

My old SO has a cyber crimes unit (3-4 Deputies), a Deputy on the local FBI Cyber Crimes task force and a Deputy that works with the FBI in the regional computer crimes lab....

All started out in the Jail....worked the Road....then went into the Investigations Unit were they were sent to training......

They all probably have 3-5 years on. They've never, ever hired someone straight off the street to do the work.....and the agency is one of the more bigger SO's in the KC Metro area on the MO side of things.....

Comment

You're gonna have to do your time on the street before you can even consider going into that type of work. Depending on where you live, your state AG's office may have something near you that you might be interested in. You are limiting yourself by wanting to be that specialized and not wanting to relocate.

Comment

If you are interested in computer-type investigations, it might be worth your time to check out investigator positions with your local district attorney's office--- most lawyers are woefully inept with computers and require assistance with even minor computer matters with investigation.

Another avenue to pursue would be with your state bureau of investigation, at their computer lab.

But your signature says you're from the Bay Area... that's SF, right? It's my understanding that FBI is always hurting for agents and techs at the large, high cost of living cities (Big 4 being NY, DC, LA and SF)-- you have a very good chance of getting assigned to SF.

Comment

You may have a better chance where the agency requires a degree. As mentioned above, going the local agency route you have to do your time and wait for promotions, retirement, funding, etc. I went straight into the cybercrimes unit without prior LE expearience. My agency didn't want to pass up someone with a Computer Science Degree that wanted to work in LE when I can easily go private and make double. I would ask around in the agencies that you are interested in. See how many they have on staff and how long they have been there. Some local agencies do not perform cybercrime investigations full time. That's a good question to ask as well. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

It is considered Investigations...which means you have to start at the bottom, transfer to patrol, exceed standards in evaluations and know someone to get into the unit!
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10790 users online. 508 members and 10282 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X