300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exelon Security Officer Trainee

Do anyone no anything about this company and position. I do no that exelon is located on a nuclear powerplant. Thats about it any info will be helpful.

Exelon

Rockcop,

Exelon is the largest utility (commercial nuclear energy) in the U.S. I am unaware of the posting for the trainee postion; however, I assume that the position is for an entry level nuclear security officer. Nuclear security officers are an element of the commercial nuclear's security program (includes physical protection-nuclear security officers, access authorization, and fitness for duty). Requirements for the job should be included in the posting. Unlike a large number of utilities, Exelon has an in-house security program (Exelon just trasitioned from contract to proprietary). Training usually lasts 8-15 weeks with a starting pay of $15- $17 an hour (depending on location). The average pay for a nuclear security officer ranges from $38,000.00- $60,000.00 a year (including overtime/training, etc). All equipment is provided by the company including:

Uniforms
    Footwear
    Duty Gear
    Weapons
    Wet/Cold Weather Gear
    Range Equipment

Because of the recent transition, Exelon has a number of opportunities for those wanting to start a career in nuclear security. Exelon would be a decent place start . I do not work for Exelon, but I am in the management side of nuclear security field.
    Last edited by SRT Lt; 06-12-2008, 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

Comment

Nuclear

Unfortunatly I am not in Law Enforcement yet but, I can speak about the Nuclear Security aspect of it.....as for the trainee position -- I can tell you that Excelon is taking over a plant in New York sometime this year. Not all information pertaining to "In-House" security is hold to be true....there are some plants (up north) that are run by a contracted security department called Wackenhut......but, yes they are weeding out contracted security. I am currently employed at Indian Point..located in NY. The salary range (depending where you are) is not true from the statement the last gentleman wrote...the officers here make approx. $45,000 --- $80,000 (with OT) within their first whole year with a 5 year top out (neg. by CBA). I continously make over $100,000 a year (for the past 3 years).....the work schedule is based on the "Coleman" (off 2 weekends a month -- work 2 weekdends a month)....it figures out to be 6 months out of a year that the average officer works....that is not including Overtime. The officers here carry more ammo than a law enforcment officer (any day of the week). Now, these numbers are all different where you go....up North there are Unions and down South there are no unions....however this company is only taking over (Spinoff) the Nuclear power plants from a company named Entergy......the other Entergy plants are to remain a seperate utility company. Just don't let other ppl mislead you...if you want to try it and get your foot in the door...by all means. Just because your title would reflect "Nuclear Security Officer"...it does not mean an average security guard you would see in the mall. We act as civilians and civilians have the ability to detain an individual...we also have the right to fire our weapons at anybody that is trying to conduct an act of Radiological Sabotage. We also go through the same background check as an law enforcement applicant -- there is no difference...if you can clear the background check for access into a Nuc plant than you will be fine for a PD somewhere. Just a little insight for you.

Comment

Just a point of info. The background check you're referring to is the "Q" clearance?

If so, yeah, it's an ok clearance, but it goes back 10 years like other TS's. Some PD's go back even further on things like employment and substance use.
        "This country cannot afford to be materially rich and spiritually poor." JFK

Comment

I am not sure what they lable it but, I do know that a State and Federal check is required, as well as a credit check. The only thing lacking is the poly.....

Comment

Yeah. I'm just saying that many PD's do backgrounds that are far more extensive than any of these clearances. With the exception of FBI, who goes back to age 18 regardless of how old you are.

Comment

Yeah, the Feds start their intial with the NCIC....not too long ago I was hired with the BOP and they had told me it could take up to a year for the background check to come back...or go through its process. Its wierd that you can be employed and work for the Feds before they conduct a full background check.

Comment

It can't be that bad can it?

http://www.inter-pol.com/

This is a guy in Wilmington, NC who would probably argue with you. Instead of "Secuirty" it's "Special Police".

Then this:

http://www.wwaytv3.com/node/1265

Originally posted by toughjerseyguy
                No difference between a security job and a law enforcement position?? Are you kidding me? Security guard jobs are not law enforcement from any stretch of the imagination. Most guards are just wannabe's anyway. They have limited training and have absolutely no statutory authority. They have no more authority than an average citizen. You also have no idea how much ammo I carry while on duty. Just an FYI. real officers (aka Police Officer, not Security Officer) do not look at being a guard as a "foot in the door", if anything it is a blemish on your background. If you want a job in law enforcement, go to college, join the military, and keep your nose clean. Security jobs are a waist of time.

Comment

And most Security jobs are......but I think you have no clue how much ammo we carry. I work with retired Police Officers (NYC Swat), Retired Corrections, Fed officers....that like to double dip...because the pay is great for the job you do. Now, can you honestly say you make over six figures every year and only work six to eight months? I do not think so.....I am not saying that Security is the way to go but, I just think your understanding is much more different of this job...compared to a reg. $11 hour security job. Yes, the police jobs are good and the pensions are great....but, all I am saying is for the time being while someone is just starting out....a security field is not bad. Maybe while your attending college.....whatever. I have a degree in CJ and I work here at the plant making over a hundred grand every year...does that make me a "Wanna be?" I highly doubt it.

Comment

Yes, Peach Bottom, Fitzpatrick (JAF), Indian Point and since 911......all 103 Nuc plants have stepped up the Security......we have the National Gaurd and the NY State Troopers onsite & still have more fire power. I guess, he just doesn't understand...thats ok.

Comment

Originally posted by topgun3131 View Post
                      And most Security jobs are......but I think you have no clue how much ammo we carry. I work with retired Police Officers (NYC Swat), Retired Corrections, Fed officers....that like to double dip...because the pay is great for the job you do. Now, can you honestly say you make over six figures every year and only work six to eight months? I do not think so.....I am not saying that Security is the way to go but, I just think your understanding is much more different of this job...compared to a reg. $11 hour security job. Yes, the police jobs are good and the pensions are great....but, all I am saying is for the time being while someone is just starting out....a security field is not bad. Maybe while your attending college.....whatever. I have a degree in CJ and I work here at the plant making over a hundred grand every year...does that make me a "Wanna be?" I highly doubt it.

I agree with you that this type of security gig can be an asset on a limited resume. If nothing else it demonstrates your ability to work safely with firearms, work within policies and security guidelines, hold a security clearance, and demonstrate good work habits, if applicable. I disagree with your implication that the amount of ammo one carries means ANYTHING at all. It doesn't.

Comment

Thats true....

Comment

Also, in-house security operations such as this are generally regarded by those "in-the-know" on security and criminal justice related matters, as being on a much more professional scale than the average contract security guard operation. So prospective employers in criminal justice should recognize this fact.

And while there are some security types who consistently overstep their bounds thinking they are in a position they are not, most are just working people trying to make a living. Regardless of whether people admit it or not, all cops are "wannabes" at some point, that's how we came to pursue the job. And any law enforcement professional who doesn't recognize that security people are an essential element in realizing the goals that we ALL have, isn't worth his salt as an officer and is most likely more dedicated to his own ego than he is to the goals of his job.
                          Last edited by 1919; 06-16-2008, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by topgun3131 View Post
                            Unfortunatly I am not in Law Enforcement yet but, I can speak about the Nuclear Security aspect of it.....as for the trainee position -- I can tell you that Excelon is taking over a plant in New York sometime this year. Not all information pertaining to "In-House" security is hold to be true....there are some plants (up north) that are run by a contracted security department called Wackenhut......but, yes they are weeding out contracted security. I am currently employed at Indian Point..located in NY. The salary range (depending where you are) is not true from the statement the last gentleman wrote...the officers here make approx. $45,000 --- $80,000 (with OT) within their first whole year with a 5 year top out (neg. by CBA). I continously make over $100,000 a year (for the past 3 years).....the work schedule is based on the "Coleman" (off 2 weekends a month -- work 2 weekdends a month)....it figures out to be 6 months out of a year that the average officer works....that is not including Overtime. The officers here carry more ammo than a law enforcment officer (any day of the week). Now, these numbers are all different where you go....up North there are Unions and down South there are no unions....however this company is only taking over (Spinoff) the Nuclear power plants from a company named Entergy......the other Entergy plants are to remain a seperate utility company. Just don't let other ppl mislead you...if you want to try it and get your foot in the door...by all means. Just because your title would reflect "Nuclear Security Officer"...it does not mean an average security guard you would see in the mall. We act as civilians and civilians have the ability to detain an individual...we also have the right to fire our weapons at anybody that is trying to conduct an act of Radiological Sabotage. We also go through the same background check as an law enforcement applicant -- there is no difference...if you can clear the background check for access into a Nuc plant than you will be fine for a PD somewhere. Just a little insight for you.
                            A couple questions about indian point:
                            Do they have diffrent levels of security police officer? I know wackenhut has three diffrent levels spoI spoII and SpoIII is indian point the same way? I am Getting out of the marine corps soon and looking to move back up to new york and was hoping there might be a job opening there but I could not find anything on the website on the security police officer position. Any help or information would be great. If you could PM me that would be great thanks i appreciate any info you can give me.
                            Exam Date: 10/2008
                            Exam- 8044 List- XX
                            USMC EAS: Nov 12 2012
                            Medical- 12/2012
                            Mini Medical- 5/2013
                            Written and Oral Psych- 12/2012
                            JST- 06/2013- 2:42

July 2013 Academy

Comment

Like Top gun I to work in the nuclear security field as a Security Police Officer. Although I dont work at a Nuclear Power Plant, I work at a U.S. Dept of Energy Facility. I agree with the fact that we do not do your standard law enforcement work, but we are classified as law enforcement and we do have federal arrest authority. As far as the clearance goes a "Q" clearance is above a DOD top secret, but you are right some PD's do go back futher. The job is a good paying one, most make 80-100K.
                              FAMS

3/07-COE
                              5/07-Panel Interview & Drug Test
                              2/08-Medical
                              3/08-PTA & Drug Test & LiveScan fingerprints
                              4/08-Told packet was misplaced &
                              wait for movement on the new
                              announcement.

4/08-Phone interview
                              5/08-COE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9859 users online. 455 members and 9404 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X