300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA, BS, and BAS Degrees

From anyone's experience, do the FLE agencies treat all baccalaureate degrees the same? I have heard BA and BS degrees discussed before, but haven't heard anything on BAS degrees.

I am considering earning a BAS (Bachelor of Applied Science) in an IT field,but I do not know to what regard BAS degrees are looked upon or If the govt will accept a BAS for the degree requirement.

Any advice will be appreciated
    Last edited by state_leo_FL; 06-08-2008, 06:03 AM.

If the BAS is regionally accredited you are fine. If it is some kind of degree from ITT Tech, you will find yourself with a problem.

Comment

ITT Tech is NOT regionally accredited and I have known applicants who have graduated from ITT or similiar schools that have been told that their degree is not satisfactory. It depends on the hiring agency. A lot of agencies require regional accreditation. A degree that is accepted everywhere is better than a degree that is not.

Comment

I did read your post. I am the one making the distinction in degree accreditation. I never said anything about the Feds. Since the poster is from Florida, I assumed FLE meant Florida Law Enforcement. I think we are arguing about the same thing. I am saying that you can't go wrong with a regionally accredited degree and you are saying that the Feds (and maybe some locals) will accept a degree that is not regionally accredited. That may be so, but in general, that is not the safe bet. I have known several guys who were very disappointed to find out that a dept. would not accept their degree.

state leo fl---my first degree was a AAS. Graduate from an accredited program and the letters won't make a difference. If you have your eye on a particular agency or two, give them a call and ask them what they expect re. degree accreditation.

Comment

BAS sounds like the degree an institution grants when it's conferred by one of their evening or continuing education programs. Is that the case? If so, these degrees are generally no different than the degree conferred by the day division of the school. For example Harvard Extension grants what's called an ALB for Bachelor of Liberal Arts. This degree is probably better than some college's day division degrees but Harvard won't call it a BA because the admission standards were different. Georgetown and other colleges have similar degrees for their continuing ed programs.

That may not be the case with this BAS, but that's what it sounds like. Like a previous poster stated it's about the school it comes from and if the school is accredited. Regional stamp of approval is obviously best.

The other thing you should consider is that some states don't give credit for degrees outside certain programs that they define as "job related."
          "This country cannot afford to be materially rich and spiritually poor." JFK

Comment

Go to the best school you FEASABLY can attend. No if's and's or but's. A lot of big state schools have night programs if your working full time, it's something to seriously consider.

I won't tell you where I went, but you better believe it helped out huge when my interviewer noticed I went to one of the top ten public schools in the country.

Also, consider majoring in a critical needs language. If I could go back in time, I would have majored in Arabic, maybe minored in Poli/Sci. It would have taken three years just to complete the program, and it would have been a huge pain in the arse, but it would have been sooooo beneficial down the road. I still knocked out a year's worth and can read and write the stuff, but it's just not the same.

As far as type of degree and accreditation, the accrediting agency must be recognized by the sec. of education. So as long as that agency is on the list, you're ok, but keep in mind the better the school you attend, the more you'll benefit from the curriculum. College is about learning first right?

"Prior to appointment, applicants must have at least a bachelor's degree from a nationally accredited college or university. The accrediting institution or association must be one of those recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education."

Comment

Thanks for all the replies thus far.
              Yes, I used FLE for Feds, I am already a Florida Law Enforcement Officer, and I am interested in eventually becoming an 1811. I am keeping in mind the college name game, and currently working towards getting a BS from a very good state university, however it is a Social Science degree, I am contemplating adding the BAS in an IT field to be more competitive. I am also considering earning my CISCO CCNP (instead of the BAS maybe) to fall under some agencies "IT" critical skill.

My opinion on places like ITT Tech and U of Phoniex, why do these programs which may be looked down on by some, when you can get your BS from well known State Universities (usually completely online, or night classes)? I looked at Phoniex, but one of the major universities in my home state offered several online degree programs, and tuition was less than HALF than what UofP charged. Not knocking anyone who has used Phoniex, or Kaplan, etc... but if you are just starting, explore your other options.

Comment

Hey, I'm glad I clicked on this particular thread! I was considering signing up with Kaplan University, on their BSCJ in Homeland Security & Counterterrorism to improve my resume. I already have an Associate's but this was gained in the U.K. and most agencies in the U.S.A. do not accept British qualifications. (or any 'foreign' education, for that matter) I just might have a rethink on this one?

Comment

There are a number of regionally accredited schools in Florida that have on-line BA's. If you are a Florida resident, the state schools are fairly cheap.

Comment

There are tons of excellent schools now offering online BA's. UMass for one: http://www.umassonline.net/degrees/b...stice_uww.html

Or AMU, another regionally accredited school: http://www.apus.edu/index.htm

Along with many others.
                    "This country cannot afford to be materially rich and spiritually poor." JFK

Comment

Originally posted by 1919 View Post
                      There are tons of excellent schools now offering online BA's. UMass for one: http://www.umassonline.net/degrees/b...stice_uww.html

Or AMU, another regionally accredited school: http://www.apus.edu/index.htm

Along with many others.

AMU is where I'm doing my grad program through... In all honesty, accredidation is truly what matters the most so long as its recognized by the federal govt/US Dept of Education. As far as school names, when it comes to common majors like CJ/Police Science/Lew Enforcement/Criminology etc., its really not that big a deal- they arent expecting you to know the CJ system inside and out or as I like to say a "justice genius", your degree simply shows you'd be able to handle higher level academics you'll be taught in their academy or FLETC.

School names get important when you start branching off in to specialized areas (law schools, foreign studies, science & engineering, etc) to add to 1919's post, check out Charter Oak State College www.charteroak.edu they have programs geard toward working adults in CJ/LE which accept some of your academy training toward your degree and they are much cheaper than University of Phoenix, Strayer, and many other online other schools...

Comment

I graduated from Devry. It is a regionally accredited school, and from the interviews I have had, it is well respected. Also my degree is a standard Bachelor of Science degree.
                        What is Perseverance?
                        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10389 users online. 486 members and 9903 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X