Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Federal job qualifications...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Federal job qualifications...

Anybody out there that can help me understand exactly what the following means? (from USAjobs.gov)

"Applicants must have completed a minimum of 52 weeks in a position no more than one (1) grade lower (or equivalent) than the position to be filled."

Does this mean that an applicant must have worked for the government in a similiar role? This is confusing to me because the posting is open to the "public".

The qualifications continue..."Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to administrative and technical support. To be creditable, specialized experience must at least be equivalent to the next lower grade level."

How is specialized experience that is acquired from managing a private business, for instance, considered as equivalent "to the next lower grade level"?

Any simplification of these statements would help me greatly and I appreciate any help!

The way I understand it is...Whoever is evaluating your resume looks at your civilian employment history, and determines whether or not is is similar to that of a federal employee working one grade lower than the one you are applying for. For example, I was applying for a GS7 firefighter, which meant that I would have all of the fire certifications needed, as well as being an EMT-Basic. Therefor, I could be hired under that announcement if my civilian job fullfilled those requirements. If I was a civilian firefighter, but not an EMT, I could be hired as a GS6, and would be given X-amount of time to get my EMT and be bumped up to a GS7. I hope that makes some sense. It is essentially an applicant evaluation tool that helps them hire people with experience. On some of those jobs, education may be paired with, or substituted for experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10511 users online. 493 members and 10018 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X