Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear where you are coming from Whiplash, I was disqualified from all military service due to having an allergy to peanuts.

A common excuse in this thread is that, "We all make mistakes when we are young." This is true, however some mistakes are more serious, and remember the poster wasn't a 13 year old boy, he was a legal adult at the age of 18. Not exactly an impressionable youth in my opinion.

I myself had a run-in with the law as a teenager, learned my lesson, got my butt kickd by my father and stayed clear of trouble sense. Now, my situation was petty, just a buddy of mine got in my car with 3 cans of beer when the cops showed up to bust a party. I got a possession of alcohol by a minor (I was 16) and the Judge dismissed the charges after hearing the story.

However, one must draw the line somewhere. I think a felony as an adult is a more than reasonable line.

Comment

Perhaps I read incorrectly, but I was under the impression his conviction was at 18, and his arrest was when he was a juvenile. Perhaps I assumed incorrectly, but I thought the youth program he went through was for youthful offenders, i.e. juveniles.

Whatever the case, we must agree to disagree on this one I guess. I understand about having to draw the line somewhere, but I am also for the totality (SP?) of the circumstances.

Comment

Whatever the case, we must agree to disagree on this one I guess. I understand about having to draw the line somewhere, but I am also for the totality (SP?) of the circumstances. ~ SuperCFD

The law defines the totality of a circumstance (EX: Felony, Misdemeanor. Summary), not individuals.

Drawing the line with a FELONY is more than fair, I surely don't think I'm being unreasonable by asserting that cops shouldn't be prior felons.

Comment

Originally posted by Green_Latern21 View Post
          The law defines the totality of a circumstance (EX: Felony, Misdemeanor. Summary), not individuals.

Drawing the line with a FELONY is more than fair, I surely don't think I'm being unreasonable by asserting that cops shouldn't be prior felons.
          I wholeheartedly agree with your view that cops should not be felons- you will get ZERO argument from me there. Having said that it was nothing more than luck that prevented many cops (wink, wink) from getting arrested for a property and/or non violent felony in their youth/late teens. With some it's just a matter of whether they were ever caught.

Again felons shouldn't be cops- period. That doesn't mean the person is a terminal screw up but like you correctly noted the line has to be drawn. For every one mistake "good guy" past felon there are 100 career scumbags.
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop View Post
            You my young friend are wound a little too tightly. Yes he has a tough, if not impossible road with the felony. Having said that one of the best cops I ever worked with had two DUI convictions when he was 19- 20 (the laws in my state have since been changed so that he would be ineligible today). He came on the job the academy class after me. 20 years later he is a Detective Sergeant on another PD with a spotless record.

The OP is paying for this one colossal screw up but to give a balnket statement that you don't want someone "like him" on the job is a bit melodramatic. Don't misunderstand I am not advocating that felons should be cops but I sure as hell wasn't pure as the driven snow in my youth...
            Ok obviously I struck a nerve with some people. I may have little time on the job but I am not nieve and I am not some hard charger who doesn't see any other angles. If you look at my post closely I made the same points as green lantern later posted. You say I am being melodramatic and that I am wound too tightly yet you agree wholeheartedly with green lantern? I never once said that this guy is a bad person and couldn't possibly reform his life. What I did say was that you have to draw the line somewhere and I think that any felony convictions should certainly be the line. I also don't believe that I made it seem as if I was pure as the driven snow in my youth or that everyone should be, but if thats the impression I gave I apologise. I guess I am rigid and harsh about it because I was taken back that people are even entertaining the idea of a convicted felon getting hired by any law enforcement agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Green_Latern21 View Post
              Whatever the case, we must agree to disagree on this one I guess. I understand about having to draw the line somewhere, but I am also for the totality (SP?) of the circumstances. ~ SuperCFD

Well, I must disagree again and suggest that we as law enforcement officers are allowed to take the totality of the circumstances into account numerous times a day. A quick example: 18 year old kid goes into an open garage and steals a can of beer out of the refrigerator while the resident is home. According to Missouri state law, that is a 1st degree burglary, which is a class B felony and punishable by 10-30 years in prison. Same as a home invasion. The letter of the law says lock the kid up and charge him with 1st degree burglary. But what if it's just a knucklehead kid who has never even gotten a traffic ticket before? Now what if it is someone with 30 prior arrests for theft, burglary, or whatever else? Would you treat them the same? Personally, I would not. The point being, and I realize we are not all going to come to an agreement on this (nor should we necessarily), there are exceptions to most rules when the right circumstances exist. Then again, this must be why I'm not in personnel.

Comment

I understand young people do stupid things and it sounds like you haven't had any repeat incidents. That said, you can't be a cop in Ohio with a felony conviction.

Comment

Don't give up hope. Here in Philly we have a convicted felon as a judge, and she says NCIC is hearsay and throws all stolen car cases out. We have another traffic court judge who got voted in who is a scofflaw with a suspended license, who was also videotaped at a motorcycle gang meeting soliciting money and telling them he will take care of them. Philly will welcome you with open arms.

Comment

LOL! I think Im picking up the sarcasm! Well, its starting to look like Im gonna have to try and find other states to even think about applying. Im not really looking to move out of state. Thanks for the laugh.

his conviction was at 18, and his arrest was when he was a juvenile
                    That is correct. I was 16 when charged.
                    The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
                    George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by cjstudent11 View Post
                      Just try a different profession. I won't sugarcoat it for you and you will get no sympathy from me. You committed a felony and were convicted of a felony at the age of 18. 18 is old enough to know right from wrong and you were just lucky that you were tried as a juvenile otherwise you may have seen some time. That being said there is no room for someone with your background in law enforcement. This job requires integrity and having a felony charge usually negates that characteristic.
                      I think your forum name is "cjstudent" which if i were the poster, i would'nt be directing my question to someone that is not yet on the job. If he was looking for a response from you he would have said "is there any student that is not on the job yet, but that has a wealth of knowledge" that can answer my question. know your place on this forum.

Comment

Another Option:

Talk to the Army Recruiter. They are waiving minor felonies and based on what I'm reading, (charged at 16, convicted at 18) this may qualify. Then if you get the waiver, Enlist for the Military Police. Yes its a bit differant, but I dont know of any civilian LEA that would grant a waiver.

If you want LE, Its an option, don't know for sure but give it a try, It will only cost you a few minutes of your time talking to the recruiter.

Comment

sad issue

I am so sorry to know that my friend. I am a ceritfied and licensed officer, and I can't even be on the reserve in my own town. I have tried to keep my license active, and I even have tried other departments, and that curse follows me every where I go. I am going to have to let it go. You may have to do the same unless some department have some mercy on you.

In my case things are a little different. But it is still considered a crime. 18 years ago I was in party and had a few drinks and desided to make a phone call two blocks from where I was, and got arrested. And even though I was not convicted nor was put on probation or any thing. The records are still there in my town department. Now my license is about to be expired. I don't know any thing else to do. I feel like I am the worse monster in this planet.

Comment

I just wonder if it is legal for your local department to keep any thing, even non-convictions for too many years against you, which would keep you from being a peace officers. I am certified and licensed. And have tried to be at least on the reserve. I'm also afraid they're using that for me no be admitted in any other department. Does any one outhere have any advice for me. I will appreciate it a lot.

Comment

Every PD has access to your criminal record/history via a statewide (and national) data base, therefore there is no reason for one agency to "use it against you" with another agency. They merely have to query your name.
                              Last edited by BrickCop; 06-13-2008, 03:41 PM.
                              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have being just too obsessed about keeping my license. But it also gives relief to know that there's some one outthere looking at my case, and that little by little I can get some understanding about some things that cannot be done.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9911 users online. 470 members and 9441 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X