300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news for me...

Just got off the phone for the Michigan State Police Recruiter. Turns out the set aside felony from 1992 is going to disqualify me from getting in. I was supposed to take my Entry Level Exam on the 18th of this month, but now I think that it will be pointless. Does anyone know if all departments have the same guidelines? Or do they vary from dept to dept? Im kinda disappointed, but I made my bed I guess.

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting a conviction removed from their record? If so, do you know how? Id really like to try. Ive been interested in law enforcement for quite a few years, and would hate to just never have a shot. But like I said, I did the crime, and the time, so I can blame noone but myself. Any advice will be great. Thanks all.
    The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
    George Carlin

Originally posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Just got off the phone for the Michigan State Police Recruiter. Turns out the set aside felony from 1992 is going to disqualify me from getting in. I was supposed to take my Entry Level Exam on the 18th of this month, but now I think that it will be pointless. Does anyone know if all departments have the same guidelines? Or do they vary from dept to dept? Im kinda disappointed, but I made my bed I guess.

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting a conviction removed from their record? If so, do you know how? Id really like to try. Ive been interested in law enforcement for quite a few years, and would hate to just never have a shot. But like I said, I did the crime, and the time, so I can blame noone but myself. Any advice will be great. Thanks all.
    there are too many questions here to answer. you need to elaborate on what the felony entailed. i was a police officer for a short period before going federal, so im sure more qualified people can help you. however, you will still need to disclose the charge in order to discuss your problem. if the crime was domestic related, you are out of luck. also, the reason you are and will continue to be disqualified is the because you cannot carry a gun if you are convicted felon. where the matter gets muddy is if you can get it expunged. i dont know how that works or if it can help.

Comment

I have never heard of a removed felony of your record during my police officer years. And if it was a domestic dispute, you will be disqualified like rix031 said.

Comment

Ok.
        The conviction was for recieving and concealing stolen property. The charge was expunged with the HYTA(Homes youthful training act), and my federal firearms rights have been re-established. I am a licensed concealed pistol holder. I know that doesnt really mean much as far as becoming an officer, but just more information for you to chew on. Thanks.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
        George Carlin

Comment

(like a state police agency) I doubt you're going to have a lot of luck.
          Yep, thats pretty much what the recriuter said.
          I was exactly 18 when convicted, around 12 years ago. I have a bachelors in mechanical engineering, finishing in the top of my class. No former law enforcement expierence. I have 2 certifications from Bondurants Driving school and I am a current SCCA license holder.(got those for my job)

I appreciate the advice from all of you. Im not going to give up quite yet. Ive had an interest in LE for a few years. I volunteer at the local PD and FD, head of my neighborhood watch program. Ive worked hard at getting my life turned around from where it was 10-12 years ago. But I know that the problem is in the record. So, thanks again for the advice. Ill make sure to keep you all posted on any changes. Thanks!

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by ROSchwoe
            On a side note, is this you (tokly110)? http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26797
            No. See post above for conviction information.

George Carlin

Comment

Ok.
              The conviction was for recieving and concealing stolen property. The charge was expunged with the HYTA(Homes youthful training act), and my federal firearms rights have been re-established. I am a licensed concealed pistol holder. I know that doesnt really mean much as far as becoming an officer, but just more information for you to chew on. Thanks.
              I don't know if this plays a part in it, but keep in mind that there is a difference between records being expunged from police and public records. For example, a felony conviction can be expunged under certain circumstances (usually requires a court hearing to do) from public records. However, the arrest will likely be in law enforcement only databases even after the public record has been expunged. Your conviction likely WAS expunged from your record to some degree as you were able to get a concealed carry permit. However, if the system there is anything like ours, I would still be able to find the arrest in the law enforcement database. Now, if I found that arrest record and it's been expunged, I could not disclose any of that information to any source outside of law enforcement, but I would know it was there (say if I was doing a background investigation). Hope this makes sense. Hard to explain.

The long and short is I think it is still possible to get an LE job. Certain agencies can be more picky than others. My advice is to keep trying and/or contact the recruiters with the agencies to which you interested in applying and explain the situation to them. They should tell you right off the bat if your mistake will DQ you.

We all do stupid stuff when we were young. You're not alone. Unfortunately your mistake gave you a felony conviction, even though it is basically a non-violent, minor felony. I hope some agency out there can look past a mistake in judgement a long time ago.

Comment

I am not going to sugar coat this, but you will never be a cop in the state of Michigan. You were convicted of a felony, automatic DQ for any MI agency. Sorry, try other states.

Comment

Turns out the set aside felony from 1992 is going to disqualify me from getting in.
                  Originally posted by Tucker6900
                  I was exactly 18 when convicted, around 12 years ago...
                  The math doesn't add up, not to be a party pooper, but which was it, 12 years ago or 1992. I'm only asking because any discrepancy in your story will make it less believable. The convicted felon thing is a MAJOR turn off for law enforcement. I think you might want to become more involved in your FD. Being a firefighter isn't such a bad gig...you just can't carry a gun on duty...and you have to be a firefighter.....LOL. But you can still have an active job that changes everyday, people usually like firefighters but they don't always like law enforcement
                  Last edited by usmcgunnerm4; 06-04-2008, 07:07 PM. Reason: Wrong Quote
                  Discombobulatory Accountable Volunteerism.

Comment

Just try a different profession. I won't sugarcoat it for you and you will get no sympathy from me. You committed a felony and were convicted of a felony at the age of 18. 18 is old enough to know right from wrong and you were just lucky that you were tried as a juvenile otherwise you may have seen some time. That being said there is no room for someone with your background in law enforcement. This job requires integrity and having a felony charge usually negates that characteristic.

Comment

Originally posted by cjstudent11 View Post
                      18 is old enough to know right from wrong

then why cant an 18 year old legally purchase alcohol? since its assumed that all 18 year olds are mature enough to make the right decisions and exercise proper judgement. at 18 he probably should know right from wrong but none the less he is still at an age where he is growing up. my adivise to the poster, dont give up. keep trying. contact the POST in your state and find out from them if your incident will auto dq you.

Comment

It may simply be a matter of law in your state.

In California, any person convicted of a felony (or of a crime in another jurisdiction that would be a felony in California) is prohibited from employment as a California peace officer [Government Code Section 1029(a)]. This prohibition holds even if the conviction was sealed, expunged, or set aside. It may also apply to any convictions that were subsequently reduced to a misdemeanor occurring on or after January 1, 2004.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Job search

Listen, I am a Texas Peace Officer so this may not pertain or help much....a felony is rough to get around in any type of job that requires the use of a firearm. I do not have much sympathy for Felons either but I am a God faring man and I have seen first hand people turn things around.... Now I am about to go Federal and have been helping my department (good size one at that) with their recruiting and during these hiring processes I have seen all types of applicants....Now my department will not accept past felonies but I do know a few that will take a look at why you were convicted and for what. As a backround investigator we will also try and get a copy of the past police report relating to your arrest and if we decided to go along with giving you a chance we would seek every avenue of information that might pertain to this incident and question you about everything. The hard thing for you is that there are a lot of other applicants that are "clean". You have to stand above the rest. Also it is a lot of extra work for the hiring department to go through to research all of your stuff and that can turn some departments off. But remember this though it is not exactly the same type of situtation......When I was in the Army my Sgt Major told me that he never knew of any Sgt Major that was worth a damn who had not gotten at least one article 15. Good Luck.

Comment

Cant be an LEO in NYS.
                            sigpic

Comment

Convicted felon can't be a peace officer in Georgia, however I don't know if they may view expunged records differently.
                              God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7251 users online. 394 members and 6857 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X