300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Altitude PT help!

My hubby asked me to get some tips on how to pass the PT in a high altitude. We are at an elevation of 254 right now and next week he's going to be testing with a dept thats sitting around 6,000 feet.

He has to pass it in 13:36, right now he's running around 12:41, but we are worried that because of the altitude difference that might not be enough.

Does anyone have any tricks? Pasta before hand, drinking water, etc? What works best?

(BTW he rarely goes online, thats why I'm asking!)

Thanks!!

I would try the health and fitness area, I live in Fl we don't have e l e v a t i o n,....... hehe
    Me in the Sunshine State

10-8store.com

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do. That is character!"

Comment

When I tested in Wyoming from the midwest I arrived a couple days early and ran each of those days. It was enough that I was able to pass, barely! Also he'll need to drink more water than what he's used to drinking due to the elevation and dry air.

Comment

The best thing would be to try and arrive early so that his body can adjust to the difference. It can be a bit of a shock for the first couple of days. It will almost feel as if your breath is constantly being taken away from you, especially if you aggravate the situation by putting stress on your body (ie. running).

Comment

Originally posted by 1410wife View Post
          My hubby asked me to get some tips on how to pass the PT in a high altitude. We are at an elevation of 254 right now and next week he's going to be testing with a dept thats sitting around 6,000 feet.

He has to pass it in 13:36, right now he's running around 12:41, but we are worried that because of the altitude difference that might not be enough.

Does anyone have any tricks? Pasta before hand, drinking water, etc? What works best?

(BTW he rarely goes online, thats why I'm asking!)

Thanks!!
          1 week may not be enough time to train for that altitude. First of all, he HAS TO train at that level consistently. If he trains hard at 200 feet and tests at 6000 feet, he's in for a rude awakening.

When I was in Arizona doing my PT test at 4000 feet, it added 5 minutes to my run time (and thus failing it too). At the end I was flopping at the ground like a fish while my compadres were throwing up. I can't even imagine how your lungs will feel (or burn!) at 6000.

Forget pasta, bring an oxygen tank.
          George: What kind of a person are you?
          Jerry: I think I'm pretty much like you, only successful.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

He's been training for a while now, running every other day on average. He can run at a steady pace for 30 min and 9-10 laps on a track. We haven't timed the 9-10 laps.. those were on different days. I'd say he's in pretty good shape- so I HOPE this would be enough!

Has anyone heard about pasta before a run or is that a myth? Other than run as soon as we get up there and drink LOTS of water (and bring an O2 tank, lol) is there any other advice? We are SO nervous!

BTW- thanks for responding even though I put this in the wrong spot *blush*

Comment

Originally posted by 1410wife View Post
              Thanks everyone!

He's been training for a while now, running every other day on average. He can run at a steady pace for 30 min and 9-10 laps on a track. We haven't timed the 9-10 laps.. those were on different days. I'd say he's in pretty good shape- so I HOPE this would be enough!

Has anyone heard about pasta before a run or is that a myth? Other than run as soon as we get up there and drink LOTS of water (and bring an O2 tank, lol) is there any other advice? We are SO nervous!

BTW- thanks for responding even though I put this in the wrong spot *blush*
              Pasta is mainly for long-distance runners. Would it have an impact on your husband's testing, I honestly do not know. When I ate a small bowl of bowtie pasta couple of hours before a 1.5 mile run test, I was frankly too tired and too out of breath to tell the difference. Drink plenty night before, but not on the morning of the test.

Cardio is probably his biggest obstacle. As audi0xpl0de already stated, it will be very taxing at that altitude. He will have to run like there's no tomorrow. Who knows, maybe he'll outperform his expectations. You'll be surprised what you can do when you're determined. That's probably the best advice I can give your husband.

Best wishes.

Comment

double post
                Last edited by Love_Ulcer; 06-05-2008, 02:09 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10703 users online. 508 members and 10195 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X