Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other part of this is networking. It's real easy to see who you associate with. Obviously, pictures of illegal acts are bad, but if all of your friends on Myspace are party people, the BI is going to have a hard time believing you are on the up and up. After all if you are clean, why would you be hanging around with a bunch a drunks and druggies?

Local PD's are increasingly hard to get into, so keep trying.
    ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
    Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
    March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
    July 09 Oral Board
    Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
    Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

I went for a non sworn, seasonal position with a police dept and they grilled me about myspace, facebook. The officer in charge of the hiring said "If you happened to have one and want a career in law enforcement my suggestion is to delete it."

Comment

Before I read this thread, I began actually recording contact information of friends I want to keep in contact with. The reason is, I was/am planning on deleting this crap because I think it is an immature thing. I want to become police officer and be a role model, not some party-hardy high school or college kid.

(However, I am not around stupid people who do illegal things, so nothing that "looks bad" will come up, it's just a maturity level thing for me to delete them).

Comment

Originally posted by a cashew View Post
          I'm sure a lot of the young guys like me have facebook/myspace and I wanted to see if anyone else ran in to this:

a buddy of mine is going through a BI for a city PD. background investigator called him up, says he has to come in for 10 minutes so they can go through his facebook.

she played it down very low-key.

i'm guessing they just want to go through the pictures and make sure you're not in any of them smoking crack or stealing a car or something else illegal

anyone else run in to this in the course of them getting hired?

I haven't gotten to the BI yet, but soon. I don't have a myspace or a facebook so that's one thing I don't have to worry about when it comes to that part of the BI. I think it is a waste of time IMO (myspace that is). People have my phone number so they can call me. On the other hand, there are positives to myspace such as Amber alerts that go out whenever someone's missing or whatever. If I was the president of myspace, I would have an age limit. There are 9 and 10 year old kids who have myspace's and that is just stupid. There are so many people out there who are sex offender's, perverts and what not that would love to have the opportunity to prey on a child simply because of the information that was provided for them on their myspace. Myspace should be banned.

Comment

Originally posted by 86cursed View Post
            I went for a non sworn, seasonal position with a police dept and they grilled me about myspace, facebook. The officer in charge of the hiring said "If you happened to have one and want a career in law enforcement my suggestion is to delete it."
            That is effing ridiculous. I've been in local LE for almost 15 years and am now with the Feds and no one has ever asked me about myspace or facebook. Half the guys in my unit have myspace pages. That's the easiest way for me to keep in contact with friends in Iraq and Afghanistan, and relatives across the country. I'm guessing the guy who said that was a complete tool who wouldn't have enough real friends to add to his friends list so he hates anyone who does, and hates myspace as a result. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Meat View Post
              That is effing ridiculous. I've been in local LE for almost 15 years and am now with the Feds and no one has ever asked me about myspace or facebook. Half the guys in my unit have myspace pages. That's the easiest way for me to keep in contact with friends in Iraq and Afghanistan, and relatives across the country. I'm guessing the guy who said that was a complete tool who wouldn't have enough real friends to add to his friends list so he hates anyone who does, and hates myspace as a result. lol
              Good way to catch up with graduating class mates and see how hefty the one that broke your heart has become too.
              Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

Originally posted by VeeDubs86 View Post
                Good way to catch up with graduating class mates and see how hefty the one that broke your heart has become too.
                No joke. I found one of the girls I went to HS with who was a solid 9 back in the day and now she's a good deuce and a half! LOL

Comment

hahahaha.
                  Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

I work in the courts in Las Vegas and I am starting to notice alot more that the DA's ( and other attorneys )are looking up to see if the defendants have myspace pages and bring it up to the court especially if the defendant tells the court how sorry they are but on there myspace page they brag about it or something like that. Its a different world today and you have to be carefull what you post and what everyone else posts about you.

Comment

Originally posted by 14USC89a View Post
                      Why on earth would anyone -
                      a) Do anything illegal if you want to be in LE.
                      b) Take a picture of yourself doing anything illegal.
                      c) Post a picture of yourself doing anything illegal on the web?

I only have Facebook and I only use it to communicate with my old friends back home. No need to post pictures that could bite you in the arse when running for President…
                      +1... well put, mate!

Originally posted by Sarkis View Post
                      Before I read this thread, I began actually recording contact information of friends I want to keep in contact with. The reason is, I was/am planning on deleting this crap because I think it is an immature thing. I want to become police officer and be a role model, not some party-hardy high school or college kid.

(However, I am not around stupid people who do illegal things, so nothing that "looks bad" will come up, it's just a maturity level thing for me to delete them).
                      What's so immature about networking & keeping in touch w/ family & friends?

It seems I've forgotten that high schoolers & college kids are the only ones using FB & MySpace!
                      Danger: if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!
                      - Winston Churchill

Highly recommended reading: http://www.amazon.com/Boot-L-P-D-Off.../dp/0688147135

Comment

I think that as long as you have a "clean" profile it shouldnt come back to hurt you. When I was interviewing for my dept I'm sure they looked at my facebook seeing as the captain and some of the Detectives have them. Nothing was said about it to me, granted I dont really have too many pictures and the ones I do arent of me doing stupid stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by P-51R View Post
                          Oh, please believe that when you delete pics on myspace/facebook, they are still there. Not physically but I have done many internet cases when the profiles have been deleted. I was able to cache it and still see the profile and pics. Facebook is a little harder though.
                          +1 anything on the internet or on your computer is there forever in one way or another. if you have anything that may make you look bad on your myspace/facebook be up front with it. The BI will take it much worse if they find it without you knowing rather than you telling them up front. Every LEO that i know can't seem to stop repeating "honesty is the best policy. Be up front with what you have done in the past and you'll be fine." That is unless you've comitted some sort of felony.
                          Veritas, Aequitas

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5705 users online. 285 members and 5420 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X