300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myspace/facebook and BIs

I'm sure a lot of the young guys like me have facebook/myspace and I wanted to see if anyone else ran in to this:

a buddy of mine is going through a BI for a city PD. background investigator called him up, says he has to come in for 10 minutes so they can go through his facebook.

she played it down very low-key.

i'm guessing they just want to go through the pictures and make sure you're not in any of them smoking crack or stealing a car or something else illegal

anyone else run in to this in the course of them getting hired?

For my NYPD background I just listed my facebook url on the background packet and I only have one picture in there, I don't have myspace anymore. he hasn't said anything about it.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

A lot of HR departments will view them without you knowing it. I've never heard of someone having to go in to review their site. He might have his site set as private and they want to view it so they need him to access it for him. They have to be extremely careful and make sure they don't violate any EEO regulations.

Comment

You know that privacy release form you sign when you agree to have a background investigation performed? BI's can fax that to Myspace, and Myspace releases all the information in your profile. Even if your profile is "private".

If it's online, it's not private. EVER. Use common sense, boys and girls.

Comment

Oh, please believe that when you delete pics on myspace/facebook, they are still there. Not physically but I have done many internet cases when the profiles have been deleted. I was able to cache it and still see the profile and pics. Facebook is a little harder though.

Comment

Why on earth would anyone -
            a) Do anything illegal if you want to be in LE.
            b) Take a picture of yourself doing anything illegal.
            c) Post a picture of yourself doing anything illegal on the web?

I only have Facebook and I only use it to communicate with my old friends back home. No need to post pictures that could bite you in the arse when running for President…
            sigpic

Comment

You'd be surprised. We had officers here go as far as to post videos of themselves driving around in marked cars while drinking beer. Didn't take long for the media to get ahold of it. The university police all have accounts on facebook and find 100s of students each semester posting pictures of themselves getting high or drinking underage.

Comment

Corporate America is also reviewing these sites as part of their hiring process.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                  Corporate America is also reviewing these sites as part of their hiring process.
                  I remember a story in the news, about some guy that worked for a top corporate company. He called out of work and said he had to fly to New York for a family emergency but instead he went to a halloween party and then his boss decided to check his facebook and saw pictures of him at the halloween party and got canned.

me if my BI wanted, I would give him my pw since all I have in there is just a basic pic smiling and that's about it.
                  "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

Just to be on the safe side you should probably just delete them totally b4 your BI. At the very least change your privacy settings to restricted and make sure their "clean" ex. No pictures taking body shots off strippers, or people posting comments congratulating you on the entire bottle of jack you guzzled over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by weasel3o3 View Post
                      Just to be on the safe side you should probably just delete them totally b4 your BI. At the very least change your privacy settings to restricted and make sure their "clean" ex. No pictures taking body shots off strippers, or people posting comments congratulating you on the entire bottle of jack you guzzled over the weekend.
                      And then when your BI says "Let's look at your Facebook" and you say "I deleted it" it can look like you were hiding something. Not good. And if you say "I never had one" and the BI decides to check with Facebook and they tell him you deleted it.....problems.

If you have to delete parts of your profile before your BI you are likely doing something you shouldn't be doing anway, and that's going to be found out by your BI.

The exercise of good judgement doesn't start the first day you pin on a badge, you have to live it before you go on the job. That's what the BI is looking for - sanitizing your past does not help, and will hurt you if it is discovered. And it'll be discovered, BIs were not born yesterday, they aren't rookies.

Let the BI see who you are, warts and all.
                      For every one hundred men you send us,
                      Ten should not even be here.
                      Eighty are nothing but targets.
                      Nine of them are real fighters;
                      We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
                      Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
                      And he will bring the others back.

Comment

I have pictures of me drinking underage on my myspace. I'm not too worried about it as they are over 4 years old, and I plan on admitting to drinking underage anyway. I'm not going to delete them due to it looking like I am hiding something and because honesty is the only policy.
                        Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

I was asked about myspace and whatnot. I dont have one, but they asked. They also asked about any other "blogs" or web forums, I told them about O.com and some other LE web forums I'm a member of.
                          Last edited by reils49; 08-18-2008, 03:06 PM.
                          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Doesn't matter if u delete and they suspect you are hiding something, as long as you are not hiding something, or they can't prove you are hiding something. The mandates for which government agencies can deny employment are defined quite well. I think it would be highly unlikely for them to deny you employment because you deleted your myspace page, even "if" somebody thinks that is suspicious. That might open them up to a civil suit. Your over thinking this, agencies have to be very careful about what they deny people for, they can't just say they assumed something. But if you want to micromanage that stuff and get people on here ultra worried that they can't delete their facebook cuz a LEA will think their up to no good, well you got that aspect covered.

Besides, myspace and facebook are pretty lame anyway. You could always just tell them you thought it was immature to be in a poisition of public trust and to have a myspace or facebook page. Or that you didn't want anyone to see what kinda nerdy friends you have. Either way there's 10 million legit reasons to delete it.
                            Last edited by weasel3o3; 05-21-2008, 01:55 PM. Reason: Added

Comment

That may be true, but around here I've never, ever been told why I'm not moving on in a process, and there are agencies that have you sign agreements so that they don't have to tell you.

Near as I can tell in Wisconsin they can DQ you for any reason under the sun.
                              For every one hundred men you send us,
                              Ten should not even be here.
                              Eighty are nothing but targets.
                              Nine of them are real fighters;
                              We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
                              Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
                              And he will bring the others back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10996 users online. 507 members and 10489 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X