300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What places hire at 19?

Hey guys, quick question. What PD's or SO's do you know of that have a patrol or motor unit hire at 19 and will pay for academy? Here on LI SCSO were desperate so I'm just curious if there is other places that do?

What do you mean LI SCSO were desperate ?? You are desperate to find a job, or their are to hire people.????

There a VERY FEW depts that will hire you under 21. because by most Sates and I believe Federal Law, you must be 21 to purchase and or possess a handgun.

I have heard of some depts. that hire @ 20 1/2 but you have to be 21 when you finish the academy.

I think there are some places like FLA, where you can be a sworn officer @ 19 or 20, but you should check with the FLA folks for 100% clarification.

Sorry I coudnt be more help.

Comment

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
      What do you mean LI SCSO were desperate ?? You are desperate to find a job, or their are to hire people.????

There a VERY FEW depts that will hire you under 21. because by most Sates and I believe Federal Law, you must be 21 to purchase and or possess a handgun.

I have heard of some depts. that hire @ 20 1/2 but you have to be 21 when you finish the academy.

I think there are some places like FLA, where you can be a sworn officer @ 19 or 20, but you should check with the FLA folks for 100% clarification.

Sorry I coudnt be more help.
      SCSO (Suffolk County Sheriff's Office) were desperate for the positions to be filled via retirement and laterals to other departments. Because SCSO is on LI and has two of the highest average paid departments in America; a lot of deputies were telling me that laterals can be quite common. I also thought the argument here is this.

An individual 18 years of age or older may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer in any state

So who's to say my personal weapon has to be a handgun?

Comment

Originally posted by Airlinerd View Post

So who's to say my personal weapon has to be a handgun?
        Would love to see a mc/patrol officer working with a AR-15/870 as his/her ONLY duty weapon

I can't think of any large depts that hire anyone under 21 to be SWORN LE, they may process you and send you to the academy prior to 21 provided you are "legal" by the completion of the academy date... as the previous poster mentioned, some of your smaller depts in the south might (check Florida & Alabama in particular), If they have a reserve unit/academy you'd probably be able to get onboard being sworn...
        Last edited by Helo_Leo; 05-09-2008, 04:42 AM.

Comment

The California Dept of Fish and Game used to be 18 minimum. It may still be. They are sworn LEO's. The reality though is that at 18 you wouldnt stand much chance, as this is a sought after job and they expect you to bring experience to the table.
          sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

Originally posted by ujocka View Post
            The California Dept of Fish and Game used to be 18 minimum. It may still be. They are sworn LEO's. The reality though is that at 18 you wouldnt stand much chance, as this is a sought after job and they expect you to bring experience to the table.
            The Ca.state dept,of fish and Game (DFG) still hires state wardens at 18 yrs old, but they often PREFER people at least 20 1/2 and with an AA/AS degree (60 college units) the pay is low compared to most CA state and local/county agencies (DFG pays $3K/mo in the academy and the base pay for a DFG Warden I/II is $45K to $62K/yr compared to say ,LAPD making $55K to $79 K/yr to start, Ca. highway Patrol making $54K to $77K/yr to start,San Francisco PD making $61K to $82 k/Yr to start .At 19 yrs old I truly hope "airlinerd" is at least attending the local Jr college-at min. I'd advise the young poster to get an AA/AS degree. And from what I understand about down state NY police jobs, I doubt if any agency-particularly popular agencies like Suffolk County or Nassua county PDs and the SCCo.Sheriffs are "desperate" to hire ( there are PLENTY of veteran NYPD officers looking for better pay and work environments)
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
              .At 19 yrs old I truly hope "airlinerd" is at least attending the local Jr college-at min. I'd advise the young poster to get an AA/AS degree. And from what I understand about down state NY police jobs, I doubt if any agency-particularly popular agencies like Suffolk County or Nassua county PDs and the SCCo.Sheriffs are "desperate" to hire ( there are PLENTY of veteran NYPD officers looking for better pay and work environments)
              College or some military time... at 19 I was taking orders from my Corporals and Sergeants, squaring away my cammies, service Alphas, boots and trying to earn meritorious Lance Corporal...

Speaking of NYPD, the news broke last week they are down to Pre 9/11 staffing levels (with a starting salary at 25K in the nations most expensive city, I wonder why?) so I'm sure some of those guys went to neigbhboring jurisdictions... I know a few lateraled to MPDC.
              Last edited by Helo_Leo; 05-09-2008, 04:59 AM.

Comment

The other option is a cadet program...many of the departments around here (MD - Baltimore area) have cadets that get paid a bit less than the sworn officers but its a great step in the door.

http://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Age...ers/index.html for Baltimore County PD

http://recruiting.mdsp.org/cadets.asp for Maryland State Police

Couple of the programs...

Comment

I'm 19 and I'm starting the academy within the next month. Its for a full time sworn officer position with full carry on our shield.
                  Federal law states you can not carry a concealed firearm or have a permit until you reached 21 years old. If you are hired under 21 and are allowed to carry (on your shield, you can not get a permit) you get a purchase form for your off duty firearm. You take that form to a dealer and buy your off duty. With the agency Im going for your service auto is issued to you in the academy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                    At 19 yrs old I truly hope "airlinerd" is at least attending the local Jr college-at min. I'd advise the young poster to get an AA/AS degree. And from what I understand about down state NY police jobs, I doubt if any agency-particularly popular agencies like Suffolk County or Nassua county PDs and the SCCo.Sheriffs are "desperate" to hire ( there are PLENTY of veteran NYPD officers looking for better pay and work environments)
                    I have the 60 plus credits required by most agencies. I don't have a degree as it was from a 4-year school but I do have many a varied credits.

Comment

Originally posted by gbotj View Post
                      I'm 19 and I'm starting the academy within the next month. Its for a full time sworn officer position with full carry on our shield.
                      Federal law states you can not carry a concealed firearm or have a permit until you reached 21 years old. If you are hired under 21 and are allowed to carry (on your shield, you can not get a permit) you get a purchase form for your off duty firearm. You take that form to a dealer and buy your off duty. With the agency Im going for your service auto is issued to you in the academy.
                      And what agency is this?

Comment

Philadelphia Police takes people 19-40.

Comment

i was on the california POST site and it says the minimum age for officers is 18 but each agency has the right to set standards that exceed post.

Comment

Mass State Police minimum age is 19
                            "This country cannot afford to be materially rich and spiritually poor." JFK

Comment

Originally posted by 1919 View Post
                              Mass State Police minimum age is 19
                              Yeah, and with how long it takes to get through their process- you'll just about be 21 when its academy time

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7211 users online. 350 members and 6861 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X