X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John2008
    replied
    Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
    You know what would be funny, if you have a police recruit, or rookie, and he or she is living in a housing project and getting food stamps. That would make a great newspaper article.
    There was one last year, she was fired I think. Because as a recruit or PO you're not allowed to collect wellfare I think. I might be wrong, but I remember something like that happening last year.

Leave a comment:

• Big Will
    replied
    Originally posted by Chainsaw_chew View Post
    TheKansan, I have seen something similar. This rookie officer came into our office and she told us she just got off of welfare and now she's applying for child support since she cant afford to take care of her kid. It's sad but true. Cost of living here in NYC is already expensive, getting about $600 every 2 weeks can barely support one person.
    To be fair the salary is only REALLY bad while your in the academy then it is just bad. At the same time we know what the job is paying and were still planning on joining so complaining is kinda dumb.

Leave a comment:

• Chainsaw_chew
    replied
    TheKansan, I have seen something similar. This rookie officer came into our office and she told us she just got off of welfare and now she's applying for child support since she cant afford to take care of her kid. It's sad but true. Cost of living here in NYC is already expensive, getting about $600 every 2 weeks can barely support one person.

Leave a comment:

• izhazissuez
    replied
    its sad but very close. The salary is like 100 bucks over the poverty limit

Leave a comment:

• TheKansan
    replied
    You know what would be funny, if you have a police recruit, or rookie, and he or she is living in a housing project and getting food stamps. That would make a great newspaper article.

Leave a comment:

• John2008
    replied
    Originally posted by phillystactical View Post
    With that salary, I think he wants every newcadet to be living in the ghetto somewhere. No wonder NYPD Vet officers are leaving to the suburan police departments.
    Not only Vets but recruits and rookies are also flying out the door.

Leave a comment:

• Chainsaw_chew
    replied
    I know.. wtf can you do with $25,000 a year here in NYC? example, I paid $4.00 for HALF gallon of milk today... Subway fare hike, cost of living. It's pathetic.
    It's RACISM!!!!!!!!!!!! where is AL SHARPTON to defend us? (reference to the SB Case earlier today) hee hee....

Leave a comment:

• phillystactical
    replied
    With that salary, I think he wants every newcadet to be living in the ghetto somewhere. No wonder NYPD Vet officers are leaving to the suburan police departments.

Leave a comment:

• Chainsaw_chew
    replied
    I hope so too! I plan on jumping into NYPD this July.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Chainsaw_chew View Post
    Bloomberg says the offer is an insult.
    yea, it is an insult...that is exactly the point the PBA is trying to make. I dont know what he keeps yelling about, his only argument is parity, which I think is wrong anyway. he doesnt have a leg to stand on in regards to this issue. hopefully perb will set this all straight.

Leave a comment:

• Chainsaw_chew
    started a topic Bad response on behalf of our mayor.

Bad response on behalf of our mayor.

I absolutely hated Bloomberg's response. You guys should have heard the tone of his voice when he spoke out against the union that's helping officers obtain better agencies. This guy is a millionaire and does not realize that these officers have families to feed. You can't live in NYC with $25,000 a year. When someone finally does something about it, he's complaining.

April 23, 2008

Mayor Michael Bloomberg is slamming the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association for offering to help police officers frustrated with their low salaries find higher paying police jobs outside the city.

Bloomberg says the offer is an insult and it's a situation the union created.

"It’s a disgrace,” he said. “Keep in mind the low salaries our police officers get for the first six months, and really for the first five years is because the PBA wanted that so they could move the monies to the more senior people in the agency – and then to go out and hurt the city that they supposedly love."

The union plans to post the jobs in the PBA in-house magazine and website free of charge. PBA President Pat Lynch released a statement about the move, saying:

"If the city of New York won't pay our members a fair and reasonable salary for the dangerous job that we do, then we will have to help our members find jobs in cities that will appreciate their work and pay them fairly.”

The NYPD has struggled to attract new recruits in recent years.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly blames the problems on the $25,000 starting salary. In comparison, rookie officers in Washington D.C. make over $48,000 a year, and over $70,000 in San Jose, C.A.

The NYPD said it is not commenting on the issue.
    http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=80823

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3699 users online. 233 members and 3466 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X