300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Citizenship Question

I know that a Federal agent/officer can't have a dual citizenship with USA and some other country. Can anyone tell me if this same rule applies to Federal Attorneys?

Last edited by ICE2DSS; 09-20-2008, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Plenty of naturalized citizen feds w/dual citizenship... who told you it was a no-go?

Comment

I read it somewhere on this website. Some agent with some agency said so. Said it would pose a problem with other countries, or to the loyalty of this country. Also asked some agent yesterday at a job fair about it she said yeah that it can hurt you and you will have to drop the other country citizenship. I think it does depend on the agency i'm not 100% sure. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

from what I have been told in terms of my dual is that it is no longer even recognized... that might just be because the country I have citizenship with is a well respected allie of ours.

Comment

The country i'm talking about having a dual citizenship with is Russia.

Comment

that might be what the issue is really about (the sketchy relationship with Russia right now... )

Comment

There is a quirky issue about citizenship. Most people don't pay any attention to it, but to some governments it can be a huge issue.

When you obtain a government job in the United States, more often than not you are required to take a loyalty oath. In that oath, you swear to defend the US against all enemies, foreign and domestic. This means that if the US were to ever go to way against the other country to which you hold citizenship, you are now sworn to fight against them. Of course in that situation, they would expect you to fight against the US, creating a conflict. What are the odds of this happening? Pretty slim. But some countries take this very seriously. For example, 8 USC 1481 says that a US citizen can lose their American citizenship is they accept employment with a foreign government if (a) one has the nationality of that foreign state or (b) an oath or declaration of allegiance is required in accepting the position

If maintaining your Russian citizenship is important to you, you need to find out how taking an oath of allegiance to the US will effect your status.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks for the information L-1
                  I'm guessing this same rule applies to Federal Attorneys.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13546 users online. 441 members and 13105 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X