Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nypd

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Chainsaw_chew View Post
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I like that sentence!
    Thanks for the info ctiger.
    I completed everything just waiting till June 9th for my background investigator to come back from vacation so i can hand him some documents then I should be all set for the July class.
    ONE thing that really bothers me though is just the fear of my shin splints acting up since we'll be running just about every day in there.
    I'm stretching, warming up before runs, bought new shock absorbant insoles for my running shoes, got shin warmers, and still feeling the effects of my run the next day or the day later.
    Thats the only thing that is scaring the crap outta me right now is just these damn shin splints.
    Would be a nightmare when i leave my current job to go into the academy and have to quit midway cause the splints caused fractures on my shins.
    I had shin splints for a month last year and I just kept running with them, after a while it went away. this is what I did and it worked.

    To stretch your calves:

    1. Lean against a wall with one leg forward and the knee bent.
    2. Keep the rear leg straight, heel on the floor.
    3. Keep your back straight and lean your hips forward until you feel a stretch in your calf. If you don't feel it too much, put your toe of the rear leg up on a tree limb, or a dumbbell, or any other small object, so that you bend the ankle more. Your heel always remains on the floor. That will increase the stretch.
    4. To stretch the soleus muscle and Achilles (very important for shin splints), do the same calf stretch but bend the back knee slightly and you will feel the pull on your Achilles tendon.

    When you stretch, make sure to hold the stretch until you feel looser and not just for 10-15 seconds. The point to stretching is to stretch the muscle, so hold it until you feel stretched.

    Also make sure your shoes are sturdy and give you lots of support, particularly in the arch. If your shins hurt you should gently massage them and then ice them after you work out.
    Last edited by John2008; 06-04-2008, 11:23 AM.
    "Why you harassing me?"

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by John2008 View Post
      I had shin splints for a month last year and I just kept running with them, after a while it went away. this is what I did and it worked.

      To stretch your calves:

      1. Lean against a wall with one leg forward and the knee bent.
      2. Keep the rear leg straight, heel on the floor.
      3. Keep your back straight and lean your hips forward until you feel a stretch in your calf. If you don't feel it too much, put your toe of the rear leg up on a tree limb, or a dumbbell, or any other small object, so that you bend the ankle more. Your heel always remains on the floor. That will increase the stretch.
      4. To stretch the soleus muscle and Achilles (very important for shin splints), do the same calf stretch but bend the back knee slightly and you will feel the pull on your Achilles tendon.

      When you stretch, make sure to hold the stretch until you feel looser and not just for 10-15 seconds. The point to stretching is to stretch the muscle, so hold it until you feel stretched.

      Also make sure your shoes are sturdy and give you lots of support, particularly in the arch. If your shins hurt you should gently massage them and then ice them after you work out.
      Thanks for the info John, i tried all of this but its still around. I'm afraid that if i would keep running those shin splints would turn into fractures.
      I scheduled an appointment with an orthopedic doctor, hopefully he will give me something or help prevent the splints from occuring during academy.

      Comment


      • #48
        alright boys youre in luck...I have my masters in sports medicine! the best thing for shin splints is actually Transverse Friction Massage...it does NOT feel good during the treatment, but it should FIX you for a good period of time. When youre all soaped up in the shower, run your thumb down the inside of your tibia until those bumps go away and it doesnt kill you to touch it anymore. you'll be sore for a couple days but you'll see a big difference. Also, Johns right...stretch your calves and ICE when youre done with your run. Make sure you have a shoe with a good arch support and heel counter. If you need anything else, let me know!

        Comment


        • #49
          I did some real bad running about a week before my physical (not NYPD) and developed a small case of shin splints, could barely walk up my stairs or walk very long.
          Long story short, my legs were killing me the day of the physical....but mind over matter and I RAN LIKE THE FREAKIN' WIND!! finished the run in 4 minutes.......when it was over, I was in very bad pain, but didnt show it or let anyone know.

          Shin splints won't kill you, so just say "f**k it, I'm running"
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #50
            Running

            Ignoring long term and persistent pain is silly.
            No pain, no gain was coined by orthopedic surgeons that specialize in joint (hip, knee) replacements.
            Long term shin pain can be several things, and should be checked by competent medical persons.
            If you are cleared with just shin splints, then the first thing is to follow the advice of the professional, which most often is rest.

            ONCE you are cleared to run again, first get fitted with proper running shoes fitted for your size, weight, running style and surface you are running on.
            Find a store that hires experienced runners that check your running not you foot size first.
            Then stretch, warmup (should have elevated pulse, breath, beginning sweat) prior to the run. Start again on a soft surface (grass for example) to you build up you distances and speed.

            Comment


            • #51
              Thanks i'll get it all checked out. I guess if it acts up in the academy and I cant run for a few days i'm screwed and may be kicked out?
              My fear is getting booted from the academy due to shin injury.
              I'll look for those sneaker places, thanks again.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Chainsaw_chew View Post
                Thanks i'll get it all checked out. I guess if it acts up in the academy and I cant run for a few days i'm screwed and may be kicked out?
                My fear is getting booted from the academy due to shin injury.
                I'll look for those sneaker places, thanks again.
                They got a store some where past Westchester county.
                "Why you harassing me?"

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                  They got a store some where past Westchester county.
                  Fleet feet has stores in Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester. All of those locations are too far from me. I'm in NYC. Anyone have any idea of another one of these specialized sneaker places besides Fleet Feet?

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Shin splints

                    I have never heard of shin splints being of an hereditary or recurring nature other than doing too much running too soon, improper sneakers (either wrong size, wrong design for running style, worn out), improper warmups, improper surface.

                    You haven't given enough information to be precise on this forum but ***/u/me the worst and start from scratch.
                    You are out of shape and have no history of running tech to draw on from the past. So you must start at the lowest rung of conditioning.
                    I suggest that you find either a gym or a personal trainer in your area that can start you in a conditioning program that includes walking and then running.
                    He/she will be worth valuabe monies to you, to bring you to physical shape and the added value of confidence in yourself that you can make it thru the physical demands of the Academy.
                    Remember it isn't just running that you must be ready for from day 1, you must be physically strong as well.
                    You have plenty of time to become physically ready for the next class, but you must start soon. You should budget around 2 hours a day EVERY day to get ready.
                    Good training.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Chainsaw_chew View Post
                      Fleet feet has stores in Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester. All of those locations are too far from me. I'm in NYC. Anyone have any idea of another one of these specialized sneaker places besides Fleet Feet?
                      Check out the web sites for some of the organizations that sponsor events in the area. New York Road Runners is one that comes to mind.

                      http://www.nyrr.org/about/membership...ningstores.asp

                      Road Runner Sports is another decent company. They're mostly on the west coast, but they have three locations in New Jersey. The closest one to the tri-state area is probably Paramus.

                      http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/...tore_locations
                      Last edited by hxd; 06-09-2008, 09:33 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        So anyone on board for the July class?

                        Comment

                        MR300x250 Tablet

                        Collapse

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 6255 users online. 331 members and 5924 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                        Welcome Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X