Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nypd

Thought i'd open one up since I dont see any
    Anyway, did anyone hear anything about this new contract that NYPD are supposed to be getting since march?

In the New York forums there have been a few threads on this topic over the past couple of months. The short answer to your question is that there has not been any "real" news yet. Below is a link to two of the threads:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86375
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83595

- Godspeed
    "We have nothing to fear but fear itself"

Comment

Damn, all the other local LE agencies dont test till 2011-2012. Its a tough choice but i'm wondering if working for the NYPD for a year or two would help anything in my goal to get into an 1811. Or if it is anybetter than going for a masters.
      Thanks for the links lightknight.

Comment

If I were to take a job with the NYPD:

1. Could I afford to live if I had a roomate?
        2. Could I have any type of life away from work?
        3. Sounds like NYPD Officers are miserable. Is this true?

Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
          NYPD is an unique beast, like any agency it has positive and negative aspects.

IMO the problems w/ NYPD go FAR beyond the contract issues, but that is a MAJOR factor.

I love when people say "you don't get into LE to be rich". That is a true statement but you also don't get into a profession to barely afford to pay your bills, especially when you can perform the same job somewhere else for better pay/benefits. There are tons of departments (especially out west) were new officers can live a very comfortable life, send kids to good schools, own a home, good work schedule, take home car, etc...and have the support of the Brass when things go bad.

I used to live in NYC for 5 years and lived every second but anytime there was a critical incident the Brass and media would condemn the Officer before any facts were presented. Why would anyone want to work there??? Lets review.

- Bad pay and high cost of living
          - No support from management
          - Little public support
          - Outdated equipment

But...Having NYPD on your resume looks great; it's highly respected around the world. If you can suck it up for 2-3 years you will write your own ticket for future jobs.
          Don't forget that NYPD refuses to release work records to any other agency you are applying to, so unless they have some other way of getting you in, polygraph etc., you're $hit out of luck.

Comment

Don't forget that NYPD refuses to release work records to any other agency you are applying to, so unless they have some other way of getting you in, polygraph etc., you're $hit out of luck.
            AH DAMN! Is this true?!! Does this mean that if someone wants to work for the NYPD for around a year or two for the experience and want to get into a Federal Law Enforcement Agency (1811), the NYPD will hinder the efforts to do so?
            Anyone know what kind of work records they wont release of what kind or work records Federal Law Enforcement Agencies are looking for? I heard something similar to this but ONLY for the Port Authority, not about ALL agencies. :-(
            Last edited by Chainsaw_chew; 04-08-2008, 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

only the port authority PD has a problem with NYPD records, Ive heard of guys leaving PD for Fed LE.
              sigpic

Comment

Does NYPD refuse to release work/personal records to federal agencies? Will this cause you not to get hired especially if you need a top secret security clearance? I'm confused because I keep getting a yes and a no. Some say it only APPLIES to Port Authority PD, and I know that is true. But also have people telling me that it applies to Federal because they have friends that got screwed by the NYPD and will not be hired by Federal Agencies due to the disclosing of important records. Anyone know which it is?

Comment

New Rochelle PD is still open for filing for the 10 May exam. Hurry cause it ends this week.

Westchester County will be holding their next exam around December of this year.

I think Mt Vernon is due for an exam this year too, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Thanks for the info CO i'll check it out. I live in queens and currently don't have a car so it wont be too easy getting up there. Also I heard that the attrition rate of the NYPD is pretty high so its pretty easy to raise through the ranks. What do you guys think? Many police departments are great but from what i've been told, it's pretty tough to raise in the ranks. A friend of mine works in the Poughkeepsie police department. Said they are one of the most prestigious departments in New York. Also said that the pay is great, but it takes forever to raise through the ranks. Said a friend of his is making more than $85k a year with 5 years on the job. But the people up in the ranks there said that NYPD as much as the pay may suck, looks great on your resume and you can raise in through the ranks pretty high. I'm strongly considering NYPD, mainly as a stepping stone to get into federal agencies but who knows, I may like it.
                    Last edited by Chainsaw_chew; 04-18-2008, 08:31 AM. Reason: added content

Comment

people can tell you this, that, and the other thing about the nypd, but it's your choice. if you really wanna go for it, then go for it. I'm in the process as we speak.

Comment

To anyone that is in the NYPD did you have to take days off from your jobs at the time for the medical, oral/written psych and agility test? I called them up to ask but didnt want to be on the phone since the lady had a terrible attitude. They are always cranky at the nypd recruiting numbers. grrr

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsaw_chew View Post
                          To anyone that is in the NYPD did you have to take days off from your jobs at the time for the medical, oral/written psych and agility test? I called them up to ask but didnt want to be on the phone since the lady had a terrible attitude. They are always cranky at the nypd recruiting numbers. grrr
                          Chainsaw

I have my medical, oral written, etc scheduled on a Sunday.
                          Standing by to stand by

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsaw_chew View Post
                            I feel your pain, i called to ask a few questions and couldnt even get past the first one. then i tried to tell them when they updated my address they had the wrong state, and wanted to update it and she said you need to come down here to do that i told her i was in Vegas and i pretty much got to bad every answer was you need to come here. For a agency that is hurting so bad for people you would think they would be alittle nice to the ones that are interested and not chase them off

Comment

I know I was thinking the same thing, a buncha nasty people there with a stick up their *****! Tachibana how did you get your stuff for a Sunday? The nasty witch said that they don't do anything on a weekend only a weekday. She was like "oh well, then you gotta try for January" I was like take the sand out your vagina ya mean witch!... ok I didn't say that but would have been nice to. I don't know how the heck to get to 59-17 junction blvd by train. I'm only around the darn A line. Last stop too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10339 users online. 509 members and 9830 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X