X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lj1472
    replied
    Type 1 after an accident

I'm a type 1 federal cop who had an accident several month ago related to a hypoclycemic incident, I now have to go medical review board to maintain my job as a police officer.
    I am looking for any officers who have had similiar incidents, close calls, where it has been diabetic related.
    I am on an insulin pump with sensors.
    Last edited by lj1472; 09-23-2009, 06:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• renloy
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

Leave a comment:

• Rush817
    replied
    I'm a Type 1 diabetic and take 4-5 shots daily. I've been an officer for 13 yrs now. Its a struggle and you must stay on top of your game. I get my A1C done every three months. I check my sugar levels frequently and always carry glucose tablets with me. The key is to know your body and listen to it!

I currently serve on my agency's SWAT Team, Honor Guard and Bike Patrol. You can do anything you want you just have to be smart about it.

Leave a comment:

• HEMITRP
    replied
    I am 32 and a type 1 diabetic. I have been a trooper for 8 1/2 years with no problems. I applied for the U.S. Marshals about 2 years ago, have gotten my conditional offer and have everything done but my fitness assesment. The DOJ and USMS have very strict guidelines. Your a1c must be below 7 and you must have excellent control. I am prior military and am in excellent shape but they wont clear me for my FIT test.You would not believe the hoops I had to jump through just to stay in the process. I applied with 2 friends and they have both been hired already. My appliction is waiting for a review panel before I can get my final offer. If you are going to try and go federal, its an uphill battle you wouldnt believe. I have never had any problems as a result of my diabetes in regard to work. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• mjcek
    replied
    Im a type 1.

I was diagnosed at age 23 (im 27 now).

I never had an issue with any LE agency so far...As long as you can show you have it under control and dont suffer any complications, you should be ok.

Leave a comment:

• Goose9454
    replied
    worked with a NYS trooper that had an insulin pump clipped onto his duty belt, you should be good to go

Leave a comment:

• SMD
    replied
    i am a borderline/diet controlled sugar baby and have been in this buisness for 15 years. I have known others that were type 1 like yourself that have been doing this longer than me on the street and in jails. You will be okay.

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    No one can really tell you because standards will vary from agency to agency. However, the implications of diabetes as to one's job performance as a peace officer are discussed in great detail at: http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Endo.pdf

Leave a comment:

• GR217
    replied
    Interesting question, I have never heard of any one being medically DQ'ed from a LEO job for type 1 diabetes. However I have been in law enforcement for about 9 years and to my knowledge I have never met a LEO with type 1 diabetes. Do you have to take insulin shots, or is diet enough to keep it under control? My gut reaction is that you should be fine, but if it were me, I would contact the agency that you want to work for and ask a recruiter. Or contact the POST/MCOLES, certifying agency etc... for the state you want to work in and ask them. Each state has their own unique standards and qualifications for a LEO job.

Leave a comment:

• renloy
    started a topic LE job with Type 1 Diabetes

LE job with Type 1 Diabetes

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a couple of months ago. Thats the one that kids (and some adults) get and nobody really knows the cause. All I have to do is check my sugar couple times a day and take insulin before meals. Otherwise I'm perfectly fine and I'm in good physical shape.

I'm 21 and I have a year of college left. Before this whole thing I was planning to go into LE. Do I still have a chance?

Thanks

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10728 users online. 392 members and 10336 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X