X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • renloy
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2008

LE job with Type 1 Diabetes

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a couple of months ago. Thats the one that kids (and some adults) get and nobody really knows the cause. All I have to do is check my sugar couple times a day and take insulin before meals. Otherwise I'm perfectly fine and I'm in good physical shape.

I'm 21 and I have a year of college left. Before this whole thing I was planning to go into LE. Do I still have a chance?

Thanks
  • GR217
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2004

Interesting question, I have never heard of any one being medically DQ'ed from a LEO job for type 1 diabetes. However I have been in law enforcement for about 9 years and to my knowledge I have never met a LEO with type 1 diabetes. Do you have to take insulin shots, or is diet enough to keep it under control? My gut reaction is that you should be fine, but if it were me, I would contact the agency that you want to work for and ask a recruiter. Or contact the POST/MCOLES, certifying agency etc... for the state you want to work in and ask them. Each state has their own unique standards and qualifications for a LEO job.

Comment

• L-1
      • Jun 2004

No one can really tell you because standards will vary from agency to agency. However, the implications of diabetes as to one's job performance as a peace officer are discussed in great detail at: http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Endo.pdf
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• SMD
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2008

i am a borderline/diet controlled sugar baby and have been in this buisness for 15 years. I have known others that were type 1 like yourself that have been doing this longer than me on the street and in jails. You will be okay.

Comment

• Goose9454
          Forum Member
          • Jan 2008

worked with a NYS trooper that had an insulin pump clipped onto his duty belt, you should be good to go
          NYS Trooper - 76.67...gonna be waitin......
          NYPD - Exam # 8305...gonna be waitin......
          Westchester County PD- Taken - 90
          Onondaga County PD - Taken - 90
          Broome County Sheriff - Taken - 90, canvased, passed PAT, background packet submitted!!!
          Rockland County PD - Taken - 90

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid......." - Han Solo, Star Wars

"Just becuase its not illegal doesnt mean that its a good idea" - Random

Comment

• mjcek
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2003

Im a type 1.

I was diagnosed at age 23 (im 27 now).

I never had an issue with any LE agency so far...As long as you can show you have it under control and dont suffer any complications, you should be ok.

Comment

• HEMITRP
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2007

I am 32 and a type 1 diabetic. I have been a trooper for 8 1/2 years with no problems. I applied for the U.S. Marshals about 2 years ago, have gotten my conditional offer and have everything done but my fitness assesment. The DOJ and USMS have very strict guidelines. Your a1c must be below 7 and you must have excellent control. I am prior military and am in excellent shape but they wont clear me for my FIT test.You would not believe the hoops I had to jump through just to stay in the process. I applied with 2 friends and they have both been hired already. My appliction is waiting for a review panel before I can get my final offer. If you are going to try and go federal, its an uphill battle you wouldnt believe. I have never had any problems as a result of my diabetes in regard to work. Good luck.

Comment

• Rush817
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2008

I'm a Type 1 diabetic and take 4-5 shots daily. I've been an officer for 13 yrs now. Its a struggle and you must stay on top of your game. I get my A1C done every three months. I check my sugar levels frequently and always carry glucose tablets with me. The key is to know your body and listen to it!

I currently serve on my agency's SWAT Team, Honor Guard and Bike Patrol. You can do anything you want you just have to be smart about it.
                Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

• renloy
                  Forum Member
                  • Apr 2008

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Comment

• lj1472
                    Forum Member
                    • Aug 2009

Type 1 after an accident

I'm a type 1 federal cop who had an accident several month ago related to a hypoclycemic incident, I now have to go medical review board to maintain my job as a police officer.
                    I am looking for any officers who have had similiar incidents, close calls, where it has been diabetic related.
                    I am on an insulin pump with sensors.
                    Last edited by lj1472; 09-23-2009, 05:29 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12098 users online. 75 members and 12023 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...