Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by o2force View Post
    haha oh god, it clearly a joke.

Anyways, for guys thinking that they need to go into TSA for work experience before CBP, you don't need to. The one benefit is you already get in the federal system, but with such a drastic change in work, it wont make things any smoother.
    I disagree. Once you do your 1 year with TSA, you gain "competitive status" when applying for many other gov't agency positions. It certainly gives you an edge over other candidates coming in from outside the gov't.

Comment

The only thing I've seen resembling that verbiage in the Border Patrol is in reference to veteran's preference, which can potentially get you 5 to 10 points on your score. Otherwise, your score is based solely on your test results. There is no added points for prior government work experience, only prior military. However, it is possible to raise your federal GS/GL grade in another agency before making the switch. However, this has no baring on whether someone gets hired for entry level positions.

I think you are thinking of competitive service. This is generally an option that agencies take so that they only get applications from current federal employees. For instance, search Border Patrol on the USAJOBS site without clicking the competitive service. Your results will show a few entry level border patrol agent positions. If you click the box and search again, you'll get an additional result for supervisory border patrol agents. Obviously, you can't be a SBPA without being a BPA first.

I could be mistaken, and correct me if I am wrong, but I am moderately confident this is how the competitive service works.

Comment

Originally posted by genes81 View Post
        you're kidding right?? A freakin TSA screener can lateral to a BP Agent with no further training or requirements? Get off whatever it is your smoking bro! Your talking about a glorified security guard to a Federal Agent position with full arrest authority. Do some research before you post incorrect info or assumptions on this site if you don't know what you are talking about!

And by the way, CBPO and BP physical requirements are totally different.
        LOL! I think he was joking. DCPSDcop is a good dude.
        Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

Originally posted by EBDO View Post
          I disagree. Once you do your 1 year with TSA, you gain "competitive status" when applying for many other gov't agency positions. It certainly gives you an edge over other candidates coming in from outside the gov't.
          Nope. People think once you are a fed employee you can just hop around to other agencies and that is total BS. It is like you are applying off the street. Being a tsa employee helps you in no way get an edge over someone who worked at a factory some place in cleveland.
          Last edited by SHU; 10-10-2010, 07:45 PM. Reason: k

Comment

My bad!

Hey everyone, I apologize for my retarded post. I signed in last night and didn't notice that it was an old post! Was kinda tired. Also didn't realize that it was written as a joke! My bad!!

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
              Nope. People think once you are a fed employee you can just hop around to other agencies and that is total BS. It is like you are applying off the street. Being a tsa employee helps you in no way get an edge over someone who worked at a factory some place in cleveland.
              Are you serious ? How come being a TSA employee doesnt make any difference at the time of transferring to another fed agency? :S
              Protecting America with Vigilance, Integrity, & Service

Comment

Originally posted by EASF View Post
                Are you serious ? How come being a TSA employee doesnt make any difference at the time of transferring to another fed agency? :S
                It is because you aren't transferring. You are applying to a completely new and different position.

There are certain things you can "transfer" to. I am using the term transfer loosely because even here it doesn't apply perfectly. For instance, you can transfer from a Border Patrol Agent to a CBP Officer or an Immigration Enforcement Agent in ICE (so I've heard). However, in those situations you are going from one sworn immigration officer to another, yet you still need to apply and be accepted for the position. You just don't have to do their academy. However, even being a PA doesn't make you a shoe in to become a CBPO. If you are a total dick they wont hire you, and nothing else really matters.

Comment

It is because you aren't transferring. You are applying to a completely new and different position.

There are certain things you can "transfer" to. I am using the term transfer loosely because even here it doesn't apply perfectly. For instance, you can transfer from a Border Patrol Agent to a CBP Officer or an Immigration Enforcement Agent in ICE (so I've heard). However, in those situations you are going from one sworn immigration officer to another, yet you still need to apply and be accepted for the position. You just don't have to do their academy. However, even being a PA doesn't make you a shoe in to become a CBPO. If you are a total dick they wont hire you, and nothing else really matters.
                  Understood.. So, basically being a TSO would be the same thing as being a civilian from outside at the time of applying.
                  Protecting America with Vigilance, Integrity, & Service

Comment

I'm reasonably sure that a BPA would indeed need to attend the CBPO academy if he accepted the job as a CBPO.
                    The only exception I can think of would be one of a PA who's a former recent graduate of CBPI. In a practical sense, not many CBPOs become BPAs and then return to OFO, so I'm guessing that overall there would be few exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                      I'm reasonably sure that a BPA would indeed need to attend the CBPO academy if he accepted the job as a CBPO.
                      The only exception I can think of would be one of a PA who's a former recent graduate of CBPI. In a practical sense, not many CBPOs become BPAs and then return to OFO, so I'm guessing that overall there would be few exceptions.
                      I can't find a link to it, because it probably doesn't even exist. I am just telling you the stories that I hear about people that go from BP to Customs. Anytime someone moves over, I always here that customs waived the academy requirement for them. I also heard it about a BP agent going to IEA. It might be a case by case deal, I really don't know for sure.

Understood.. So, basically being a TSO would be the same thing as being a civilian from outside at the time of applying.
                      Not exactly. I don't know what pay scale TSA is on. If they use the GS/GL scale then you could potentially get up to a GS-9 (or however high they go...maybe gs-7) before becoming a BPA or a CBPO. If this is the case, the agency will match it when you get hired. But as far as competitiveness goes, it doesn't matter.

Frankly though, these federal law enforcement agencies don't operate like your typical private sector company. When you go apply for a private sector job you are compared against your peers and they select the best candidate for the position. With BP and Customs, as long as they are hiring and you meet the requirements you'll get a tentative offer, and if you pass everything after that you will generally be hired. The only stage where you "competitiveness" might be an issue is on the oral board, and it is pass fail. However, these boards are more about your common sense then about work history and education.

If you look at an investigative agency like DHS' ICE, then you'll be ranked, but it is solely based upon your test score and any veteran's preference you have. With that said.....we did have a BPA recently get hired for ICE right after he graduated the Patrol's BORTAC academy (implying things can make your more or less competitive), but that is just speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                        FCIP

SHU is correct. The Border Patrol only hires under Federal Career Intern Program (FCIP). The only advantage you have coming from another Federal Agency is that you can transfer your annual and sick leave and your time in service counts towards your annual leave rate. Besides that, you have no advantage whatsoever over every other applicant from the street. And you can not transfer to BP or CBPO. You have to take the test and complete the hiring process just like everyone else.
                        Last edited by DeltaFox2; 10-11-2010, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                          Back in the day, a BPA that failed the 6 or 10 month exam or who was hurt could be lateraled into an LECA (dispatch) or an II position at the port. When they combined the various positions into the CBPO, that changed. BPA's can still become IEAs without any training.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                            Back in the day, a BPA that failed the 6 or 10 month exam or who was hurt could be lateraled into an LECA (dispatch) or an II position at the port. When they combined the various positions into the CBPO, that changed. BPA's can still become IEAs without any training.
                            Oh...I've lived that. That was then, this is now, though.

Over the years, I've dealt with more than one ex-PA reject/malcontent who should have been cut loose long ago but instead INS thought was a great idea to move him to the port.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14240 users online. 472 members and 13768 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X