Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • $hrapnel
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2019

Had my second poly and the examiner said I failed. She asked if I would be open to a third test. I told her that I was but my answers wouldn’t change and I have nothing more to disclose. The strange thing is I failed on another section this test than I did on the first one. So I don’t even know what to say. I’m bummed. She told me I failed multiple areas during the post test and was saying that I needed to tell her what I was lying about so QC could sort it out. Told her I’m not going to make something up just so I have something else to admit. Kinda depressed and don’t know what to even think. I think it stings alittle more because I was truthful the entire time.

How long until QC sends an official DQ letter so I can put this all behind me? Feel sick to my stomach about it.
    Last edited by $hrapnel; 04-22-2019, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Evolution81
      Evolution81 commented
      Editing a comment
      step one you talked too much during the poly..answers need to be short and to the point so they dont start digging...sadly i think you failed yourself...you can reapply in 2
      years so no biggie

• $hrapnel
      $hrapnel commented
      Editing a comment
      i think you may be right. Part of me hopes it was to rattle me but I’m preparing for the worst. I think I may have shot myself in the foot indeed. They kept wanting more so I kept thinking and saying everything I could think of that I possibly did wrong in my life. Apparently still wasn’t enough.

I just got referred for secret service and I’m in the running with HSI. How will a failure impact these choices?
      Last edited by $hrapnel; 04-22-2019, 06:43 PM.

• Evolution81
      Evolution81 commented
      Editing a comment
      im not really sure..but they will ask you about why you failed..its not an auto dq though since they already know about the history of CBP poly failures...but im not sure since they are all under DHS

• Talonderiel
      Talonderiel commented
      Editing a comment
      $hrapnel, I just passed my poly for local LEO today. I had a similar experience with this local agency the first time in 2015 (Poligrapher was highly dramatic, constantly asking for more, and openly disrespectful to police cadet applicants and particularly to veterans... reasons why he's no longer there and my waiting period before re-app was removed)

..... But I say that to say, the hardest part of the Poly is that being overly honest and overly critical is what fails a lot of people. I didn't know the game and the cues till I did a few and had some good poligraphers walk me through the process (within ethical and legal grounds). There are questions, commands and reminders they say as a script. I took them as they were telling me to fix something wrong or think deeper, when they are just required to be said.

I believe that the traits that make us awesome candidates for the Agency are the same traits that cause us to have issues with the gate-keeping tool used as a binary test. The more of them you do, the more you'll see the commonalities.

The important thing is that you told all the truth that you can think of, so you can sleep with a solid conscience. In my experience, Agencies will ask why you failed to see what you'll say and may talk with each other to determine if the failure was anything they deem disqualifying BUT that will be after you pass/fail with their own poligrapher.

Keep the faith and good luck with the other apps! If you have the ability, re-apply after the wait period.... It's worth the wait if it's what you truly want!
  • NLee1776
    Forum Member
    • May 2018

Just got my latest NOR back from Border Patrol saying I didn't qualify for GS-7 due to my transcripts? Has anyone else had this issue? I doubled checked them and they were fine. I don't mind going in as GS-5 as long as it means I can get this process on the road. The announcement states it is for GS5/7 and the email only mentioned ineligible for the 7 level, does that mean I have to reapply all over again or will they default it to GS-5 since it looked like the announcement was for both?

Comment

• Radio Raheem
      Radio Raheem commented
      Editing a comment
      NO! Fight for that 7!! Reach out to who ever it may concern until you get a definite answer! It's damn near a $6000 dollar difference and more importantly, if you are a GL7 now, you will promote to a 9 in one year instead of 2. Do not take this lying down, guys! You have to ensure that everything is in order.

• Anthony_525
      Anthony_525 commented
      Editing a comment
      Radio Raheem it is definitely frustrating. I reached out to many different people and it was no help. The only solution was to re apply, so I did and still got denied for another reason. They keep blaming my transcripts even though it shows everything they need right there.

• Radio Raheem
      Radio Raheem commented
      Editing a comment
      You should inquire as to what in particular is missing or out of place with your transcripts. If they tell you, then you should reach out to your school and ask if they can provide that information. I had the same problem with another agency. They said my school (Clemson) was not accredited. I went to the Dept of Education website, retrieved the accreditation information, and emailed HR. HR fixed their error and I came in as a GS9.

Border Patrol is managing massive hiring efforts involving thousands of applicants with minimal staff. They will not do the leg work to correct their mistake. YOU HAVE TO. You might want to continue to fix the situation instead of folding for the GL5. If you get this fixed you will start out with more money, and you will make more money than most of your contemporaries in the long run. Is that not why you went to college in the first place? Just sayin : - /

• Anthony_525
      Anthony_525 commented
      Editing a comment
      Radio Raheem I totally agree with you. I spent about a month emailing and calling the hiring center. I sent them my transcripts and they stated that everything was there and that re applying was the only way to get to a different pay grade. I’m not giving up though, even if I have to re apply for a third time. I have worked hard for my degree and my GPA. I have emailed my case manager today with copies of my most recent transcripts and asked him what my options are.
  • battlewagon
    Los Feds
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by NLee1776
    Just got my latest NOR back from Border Patrol saying I didn't qualify for GS-7 due to my transcripts? Has anyone else had this issue? I doubled checked them and they were fine. I don't mind going in as GS-5 as long as it means I can get this process on the road. The announcement states it is for GS5/7 and the email only mentioned ineligible for the 7 level, does that mean I have to reapply all over again or will they default it to GS-5 since it looked like the announcement was for both?
    It depends. During the application it asked what is the lowest you are willing to accept. If you put 7, and didn't qualify, that's the end of the road. If you put 5, and qual, you'll continue on
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• battlewagon
      battlewagon commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't. If you're at the poly you're almost there. If it takes a few months to get to the same spot in another hiring announcement that is time you would have been at the academy and working towards getting your 7 anyways. If you pass your poly your hiring should come pretty shortly thereafter, so I personally wouldn't pull the plug on the verge of an offer.

• Anthony_525
      Anthony_525 commented
      Editing a comment
      battlewagon thank you for the insight. I thought it was possible to have two applications going so long as they are not the same pay grade? (One GL-5 one GL-7) if so, I would think that it would not slow down my progress. I have emailed my case manager to see what my options are.

• battlewagon
      battlewagon commented
      Editing a comment
      5-7 are the same application. 9 is separate, as well as the DH vs VRA being separate. Usually, if you have them running in tandem (DH 5/7 and DH 9), if you are found qualified for the 9, the 5/7 ceases

• Anthony_525
      Anthony_525 commented
      Editing a comment
      battlewagon okay that makes sense. When I talked to them on the phone previously they told me that if I re apply and get accepted for gl-7, then It would take about 1-2 weeks for everything to transfer over. I am going to try to get some more concrete Information before making any moves. I am hoping they can change the grade without me having to re-apply.
  • Anthony_525
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2019

Had my SI today. Really good experience. I really like the structure of this interview compared to a normal job type interview. I passed the SI. Next step is the POLY, which is on Tuesday!

Comment

• jkufen
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2015

Just submitted my app today for GL-9. I feel pretty good about the app and my qualifications to meet GL-9. In the eligibility portion of the app I was able to select the last answer which meant I had the most experience with whatever they were asking. So we shall see. I have been looking at the PT standard which I don’t believe is very strenuous. I read in the ad that if you qualify for GL-9 you get to waive the written test. I hope this is true because I get terrible test anxiety

Comment

• Anthony_525
        Anthony_525 commented
        Editing a comment
        The fitness requirements for the pft1 are nothing like what you will endure in the academy.

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        are you a current LEO?

• jkufen
        jkufen commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, 5 years so far.

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        NIce, well beyond qualified. Make sure your resume you submitted hits the key words listed under the experience required. It sounds silly, but if your resume doesnt specifically say 'conduct arrests', 'execute warrants', 'transport detainees' etc or whatever the phrases are, you may be found not qualified. I recently helped a friend who applied who has been an LEO for 7 years, and he had a good resume with nice achievements (SWAT, details, etc). He was found not qualified, and was shocked. When he sent me his resume and I looked it over, it was clear that he was found not qual because his resume didnt list any of those experience phrases the announcement has.

I edited it for him, and worked those phrases in, and boom he's half way through the process now.

The reason that happens is the resumes are just run through a program that looks for those key words (they cant read thousands of resumes). While any human that would read his resume would clearly infer he does those things and has that experience, the computer didnt see any of it!
    • jkufen
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2015

Luckily I’m in pretty decent shape. I just like to have an idea what I’m facing ahead of time to focus my workouts. I do a lot of heavy lifting and when I’m preparing for a pt test I usually go back to focusing on cardio and the basics push ups, sit ups, pull up

Comment

• Anthony_525
        Anthony_525 commented
        Editing a comment
        From what I have heard, be able to run 3 miles straight. A 1.5 mile in 12 mins and you should be ok for cardio

• jkufen
        jkufen commented
        Editing a comment
        Well that's not too bad I guess. We had to do the 3 miles in my LE academy and the 1.5 miles in 12 mins is a bit tough but I ran the mile yesterday in 7:26 so I'll just keep my cardio up a couple times a week and leave the heavy weights alone for a while. I gotta get my pull-up game better for sure lol I can pick up a KIA but can't pull my own body weight up above the bar lol
    • $hrapnel
      Forum Member
      • Feb 2019

Update on my polygraph. They are having me come in for a third test. Thank you all for the advice and support. I will be honest in saying I’m a little spooked by the test now. I told the whole truth and was told I failed so Im worried about going into the next one.

Is having a third test common? I feel like I can’t win in the situation because I don’t know what I was doing wrong and I already disclosed everything.

Comment

• Anthony_525
        Anthony_525 commented
        Editing a comment
        3rd times a charm. I think you will do fine this go around.
    • beeyoh
      Forum Member
      • May 2018

Hey guys just got my drug test scheduled for tomorrow any clue on what’s to come next? The drug test is the last thing I’m missing

Comment

• beeyoh
        beeyoh commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh ok sweet any chance I can stay here in San Diego?

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        You can't be hired within a 100 miles of where you live

• Talonderiel
        Talonderiel commented
        Editing a comment
        beeyoh , I have no idea to be honest! lol I'm just a long term observer of this forum and an applicant myself. Just been on this block for a bit now :P

• jcsaenz3
        jcsaenz3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was reading your previous comments on credit problems did you ever get sent a NOPA for it ???
    • Medic1123
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2019

On your final offer will it state where you are going or is it a possibility they can give you a couple of options to choose? If so , what time frame they give you to pick your location ?

Comment

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        They give you a list of available stations in the regions you selected at application. It's 24 or 48 hours to choose
    • Anthony_525
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Medic1123
      On your final offer will it state where you are going or is it a possibility they can give you a couple of options to choose? If so , what time frame they give you to pick your location ?
      From what I have seen, they call you with a list of options and you have 24 hours to pick. Also have seen people that call back and their choice has already been taken.

Comment

• Medic1123
        Medic1123 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks a lot , I’ll keep you guys posted.

• Exbpa340
        Exbpa340 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yuma, Welton, Ajo, Douglas and Naco are stations that you cannot commute to and from Tucson.

Wilcox would be well over an hour to Tucson.

Casa Grande (Almost never offered) is about 40 minutes or so from Chandler but over an hour to Tucson.

Nogales is approximately an hour from Tucson. Most agents from Nogales live just outside Tucson in Sahuarita, AZ.

Tucson and Three Points (seldom offered) agents could live in almost any part of Tucson.

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        Medic1123 you must be VRA. They will list all the stations open when they call you

• transamracer94
        transamracer94 commented
        Editing a comment
        I selected Ajo only because I live in Surpise so it puts me at 110 miles from Ajo, that will allow me to not have to uproot the family. It will only be an hour and 40 minute drive there and back.
    • TheChicagoKid1990
      Forum Member
      • May 2016

Hey everyone I’ve been in the CBPO thread for a minute even though I applied for both. I ended up accepting BPA and selected Brian Station in Tucson Sector. EOD July 17. Anyone else doing the same? PM me! I’ve never been to the Southwest but I’m excited to try something new.
      Last edited by TheChicagoKid1990; 04-30-2019, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Exbpa340
        Exbpa340 commented
        Editing a comment
        Brian A. Terry Station (Naco) is located in Tucson Sector.

• TheChicagoKid1990
        TheChicagoKid1990 commented
        Editing a comment
        I definitely miss wrote that! Yes I meant Tucson. I guess I was a bit excited! Lol

• Srhernza115
        Srhernza115 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey congrats. I EOD June 17 and leave for the academy on the 20th. One thing about the SW that I’m pretty sure you already know is that it gets really hot down and there’s a lot of dust. Other than that the food makes up for it. You should be fine!

• TheChicagoKid1990
        TheChicagoKid1990 commented
        Editing a comment
        I lived in FL before I’m just happy it’s not humid. I’m excited to try the lifestyle in the southwest I’m sure we’ll be busy. Also can you PM me any details about the academy you have? I was told I was sent onboarding paperwork but can access it.
    • Anthony_525
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by TheChicagoKid1990
      Hey everyone I’ve been in the CBPO thread for a minute even though I applied for both. I ended up accepting BPA and selected Brian Station in Yuma Sector. EOD July 17. Anyone else doing the same? PM me! I’ve never been to the Southwest but I’m excited to try something new.
      congrats. I selected South Texas on my application, but I am starting to feel like Arizona May be better for family life. I am not a city person at all, but I’m also not a person who likes total isolation.

Comment

• SHU
        SHU commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been on numerous details in my career to Arizona and there is only one remote station within the state of Arizona that has a long commute and that is Ajo. Most agents who work in Ajo live in the suburbs of Phoenix and they ride to work (usually 80 to 90 minutes each way) for free in vans that are subsidized by uncle sam. Everyone sleeps in the van except the driver. Every other station is near a city of some sort within a 45 minute commute or less. Whether that be a smaller city like Yuma or Sierra Vista or larger like Tucson (or its suburbs) or a bigger city like Phoenix. To say 50% are in BFE is complete BS. But all of the stations, except Sonoita, are in the desert. I've have also been on a detail to deep south Texas in the past few years and I found the place to be a complete dump. If you are not from that part of the world, I suggest you strongly consider anywhere in Arizona over anything in Texas.

• Radio Raheem
        Radio Raheem commented
        Editing a comment
        South Texas has its own unique culture that some consider shocking to endearing to off-putting to tolerable unless you are from the area then it's Shangri-La. I need to see some tall trees every once in a while. I need the seasons. I need to see foliage or isolated streams next to a wooded glen where the sun barely slices through the nurturing tree canopy. LOL

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        Guess depends on what you consider BFE. I consider Nogales, Douglas, Sierra Vista, Sonita, areas that guys commute from to live in 'better' places BFE. Sure, Nogales has tens of thousands people population, but i think for anyone not from a border town, would be considered worse than BFE. And anything over an hour commute, such as Nogales to the heart of Tuscon or one of the nicer areas north of it is BFE commute. Over an hour a day, twice a day, times five days a week will suck the life out of your soul. Especially when it's a vanpool, so you add time driving to the spot, rounding everyone up, etc. Been there done that.
        BFE isn't just a reference to distance, but also quality of life in the town.
        Last edited by battlewagon; 05-10-2019, 02:21 PM.

• SHU
        SHU commented
        Editing a comment
        Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 09:24 PM.
    • Jgonz383
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2018

Anybody EOD in June? I eod June 3 going to Laredo north.

Comment

• sarah_rod25
        sarah_rod25 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations! What job posting did you apply to? I curious on where I stand. I was 19-4

• Jgonz383
        Jgonz383 commented
        Editing a comment
        sarah_rod25 thanks! I applied 18-3

• Srhernza115
        Srhernza115 commented
        Editing a comment
        I EOD June 17th.
    • beeyoh
      Forum Member
      • May 2018

Ok guys I got my offers

Calexico

Lordsburg

Deming

Fall Furrias

Loreto North

Loreto West

Zapata

Eagle Pass South

Corrizo Springs

Marfa

Presidio

Sanderson

van Horn

sierra Blanca

any thoughts on these choices?

Comment

• beeyoh
        beeyoh commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks a lot guys I called back and left a message saying Corrizo Springs was my first choice and Falfurrias as my second so I might get falfurrias if corrizo isn’t available anymore

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        Just curious why Chorizo Springs? Where are you guys going to live, etc? Just wondering so I can help guide people who I know who get picked up

• beeyoh
        beeyoh commented
        Editing a comment
        We are gunna live in La Pryor it’s only 30 mins away and we chose this because of the cost of living and it’s closest to my wife’s brother

• LEO 1234
        LEO 1234 commented
        Editing a comment
        When did you originally apply ? How long has your process been
    • Moreyg
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2019

Anyone starting the academy on July 25th, and picked "Campo"?

Comment

• beeyoh
        beeyoh commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m going to the academy on the 25th....are you located in San Diego we can train together if you want...but I’m going to Calexico

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17231 users online. 20 members and 17211 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...